87 deville metallic sound from either water pump, tensioner pulley or ac compressor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 87 deville metallic sound from either water pump, tensioner pulley or ac compressor in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, I am new to the forum and checked to see if anyone had posted the same problem. I have ...
    startinggate is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Sedan Deville

87 deville metallic sound from either water pump, tensioner pulley or ac compressor

Hi, I am new to the forum and checked to see if anyone had posted the same problem. I have an 87 Sedan DeVille that I had the ac upgraded to current spec. I have been having a problem with the heater and ac not working due to some door part not opening an closing under the dash but that is not the current problem. Yesterday being hot I used the ac and after about an hour driving I was stopped at a stop light and notice white smoke coming from under the hood which normally indicates overheating. No engine light went on. I pulled over and opened the hood and white smoke was coming from the front of the engine somewhere around the water pump and or ac compressor. I also noticed the metallic sound for the first time when I started the engine. Normally this is an immediate indication of a bad water pump but NO water seems to be coming out of the weep hole for the pump. Today the same thing happened and when I stopped to look the smoke appeared to be coming from the ac pulley and not the pump but the belt was VERY hot. I look to see if any pulley's were frozen but none were. Replacing the water pump is not a big deal no expensive but if I am going to go to all the trouble to do so I might as well change out the tensioner pulley and the ac pump? I have not put a stethoscope to it yet and will tomorrow. I should be able to isolate the problem from that. I guess my question is this...does an ac compressor clutch smoke if going bad? Also, any idea what the flap door is under the dash that seems to run on a vacuum and slaps shut the minute I start the engine?

Thanks in advance, Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 87 deville metallic sound from either water pump, tensioner pulley or ac compress

does an ac compressor clutch smoke if going bad?
    It can if the bearings go bad. If that's the case, then the clutch should be VERY hot.

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

Re: 87 deville metallic sound from either water pump, tensioner pulley or ac compress

Quote Originally Posted by startinggate View Post
    Hi, I am new to the forum and checked to see if anyone had posted the same problem. I have an 87 Sedan DeVille that I had the ac upgraded to current spec. I have been having a problem with the heater and ac not working due to some door part not opening an closing under the dash but that is not the current problem. Yesterday being hot I used the ac and after about an hour driving I was stopped at a stop light and notice white smoke coming from under the hood which normally indicates overheating. No engine light went on. I pulled over and opened the hood and white smoke was coming from the front of the engine somewhere around the water pump and or ac compressor. I also noticed the metallic sound for the first time when I started the engine. Normally this is an immediate indication of a bad water pump but NO water seems to be coming out of the weep hole for the pump. Today the same thing happened and when I stopped to look the smoke appeared to be coming from the ac pulley and not the pump but the belt was VERY hot. I look to see if any pulley's were frozen but none were. Replacing the water pump is not a big deal no expensive but if I am going to go to all the trouble to do so I might as well change out the tensioner pulley and the ac pump? I have not put a stethoscope to it yet and will tomorrow. I should be able to isolate the problem from that. I guess my question is this...does an ac compressor clutch smoke if going bad? Also, any idea what the flap door is under the dash that seems to run on a vacuum and slaps shut the minute I start the engine?

Thanks in advance, Dave
    My flaps shut too. (89 sedan Seville) They make a weird chattering noise. I think this is normal.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Those water pumps can also leak from the gasket and then get everywhere.

startinggate is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Sedan Deville

FYI and to wrap this up...it is the compressor. When I went out to do the stethoscope testing I first checked the radiator for water level which would tell me if I had a water pump problem but it was full and normal. Started it up and ran it for a minute and then used scope. Hard to find a spot with this car but once I did you could hear it grinding. Turned it off and felt around and it was already hot. Now the check engin light has gone on and all my instruments have shut down. No speedo, no ac/heater, etc. I will change out the pump tomorrow and hope I blew a fuse on the instruments or have to reset? Any suggestions on the instrument panel issue?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.