P0300 and C1214 codes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, P0300 and C1214 codes in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Guys, Driving the other day I stopped at KFC and my 02 DTS idle dropped way down, the SES light ...
    dtino is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 85 2dr Fleetwood & 02 DTS

P0300 and C1214 codes

Guys, Driving the other day I stopped at KFC and my 02 DTS idle dropped way down, the SES light came on (didn't flash) and idled was up and down. Been having a like rough idle so I put new Boush plugs in, car drove the same, still had a little rough idle. But then the idle drop and SES light came on. Pulled codes : P0300 and also got the C1214 this time. The brake, abs, and traction lights are on, haven't been able to check it out until now. Was too cold to work on. I am thinking about going to get a new coil cassette today and try it on the front first to see if that fixes the idle problem (then the back if the front doesn't fix). Any other thoughts on this one?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Re: P0300 and C1214 codes

"Was too cold to work on" where is that happening?
    Did you check the battery out?
    How is the fuel pressure?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The P 0300 (miss detected) code - Remove the Bosch plugs and install the proper set of AC Delco #41-987 Platinum plugs. Check all 8 plug boots for carbon tracking and all 8 cassette coil towers for cracks and/or tracking. (Tracking - black lightning-like traces on the boot interior or on the spark plug insulator). If the boots are OK, use a bit of dielectric ignition grease in the top and tip of each boot before you seat them on each plug.

A nagging miss and/or rough idle could also be caused by a sticky fuel injector, a loose injector trigger wire connector, a dirty/corroded cassette ICM connector (inner and/or outer) or dirty TB/IAC solenoid valve.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by dtino View Post
    I put new Boush plugs in

When was the TB last cleaned?

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

P0300 is a generic misfire code -
    our on-board code readers will not display WHICH cylinder/cylinders is/are misfiring -
    only that there IS a misfire -

take the car to any large auto parts store - they will check your codes for free -

P0301 is a misfire in cylinder #1 - P0302 is cylinder #2 - P0303 is #3 - etc -

once you discover WHICH cylinder is misfiring - diagnosis becomes much easier -

OK, I fixed the C1214 code, replaced the EBCM and the code left and the lights are off. I am going now and getting ac plugs, I got a deal on the bosch through RockAuto. Bad choice. The car is no longer misfiring but the rough idle is still there and she will die at a light. I will change the plugs and see what happens. Also, I cleaned the TB and checked the intake for leaks (no leaks). Will let you know once I put new plugs in. I should have known about the plugs, had an old buick that would not run on bosch, only ac.

Thanks A lot guys!! Really appreciate it!

Do the other recommended checks before you drop the coil cassettes back in. Plugs alone are almost never the whole problem.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

OK, I fixed the C1214 code, replaced the EBCM and the code left and the lights are off. I am going now and getting ac plugs, I got a deal on the bosch through RockAuto. Bad choice. The car is no longer misfiring but the rough idle is still there and she will die at a light. I will change the plugs and see what happens. Also, I cleaned the TB and checked the intake for leaks (no leaks). Will let you know once I put new plugs in. I should have known about the plugs, had an old buick that would not run on bosch, only ac.

Thanks A lot guys!! Really appreciate it!
    -------------------------------
    The car is no longer misfiring
    but the rough idle is still there and she will die at a light.

what do you think a MISFIRE is?

that's like saying " the tire no longer has a leak -
    but it goes flat by the morning -

Cleaning the TB, anyone the know the right way to clean it? Take it off and clean, try to clean on the car? I see that it does need a good cleaning.
    Thanks

Posted a million times in here, Engines, and Cadillac Tech Tips.

Lay in a supply of clean rags, throttlebody cleaner spray and an old toothbrush. Use a stick or golf club against the driver's seat front - with adjustment - to force the gas pedal wide open.

Remove the flex intake ducting, place some rags under the TB area and start scrubbing. Don't get liquid cleaner into the intake manifold. After a few minutes of scrubbing and wiping - as far in as you can get - dry it all out, drop in a new pleated paper air filter, and securely button up the intake ducting. ANY air leak at or after your 2002 divorced MAF wil set mixture codes and maybe give a lousy idle.

While you're at it, remove the IAC (2 screws) and clean out the IAC bore and carefully clean off the top hat plunger. Don't lose a screw, and don't lose the O-ring. I like to wipe a smear of dielectric silicone grease on the O-ring.

Just for grins, Google "cadillac forums 2002 deville throttlebody cleaning".

This is a STS, but it's close to your throttlebody area.

Do it on the car. No need to remove anything. As Sub said, it's in Tech Tips and I think it even has pictures.

OK here goes: I have cleaned the TB/IAC and I mean cleaned good. Put the AC plugs in and checked for air leaks; none. The car run great cold, once she warms up she a slight tremble to her. Checked for codes (I do have Scanxlpro in my laptop and it show everything.) There is no SES light, but she will still drop in RPMs once in a while, not all the time. And I also replaced the gas filter just to make sure there was no blockage going on. She has not given any other code but the P0300 ( and yes I know how to read codes to find out which one is bad). So the only thing I can come up with is one of those coils is bad or going bad. She has always had a slight tremble to her since I've her, took to caddy dealer then and there was no codes at all. So I am going to junk yard to find another coil cassette and replace the back one first since these items are not cheap. Will let you know if that fixs the problem. Thanks for ALL the help. will update as soon as I'm done

Thanks!!

So I am going to junk yard to find another coil cassette and replace the back one first since these items are not cheap.
    I think that is your only choice at this point.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

OK here goes: I have cleaned the TB/IAC and I mean cleaned good. Put the AC plugs in and checked for air leaks; none. The car run great cold, once she warms up she a slight tremble to her. Checked for codes (I do have Scanxlpro in my laptop and it show everything.) There is no SES light, but she will still drop in RPMs once in a while, not all the time. And I also replaced the gas filter just to make sure there was no blockage going on. She has not given any other code but the P0300 ( and yes I know how to read codes to find out which one is bad). So the only thing I can come up with is one of those coils is bad or going bad. She has always had a slight tremble to her since I've her, took to caddy dealer then and there was no codes at all. So I am going to junk yard to find another coil cassette and replace the back one first since these items are not cheap. Will let you know if that fixs the problem. Thanks for ALL the help. will update as soon as I'm done

Thanks!!
    My old '00 STS always had a slight tremble as well and the dealership never found the problem. Countless cleaned TB, new spark plugs, filters, etc. never solved it. Didn't have the chance to get new coil cassettes but somewhere deep on the forums GM released a TSB on the earlier redesigned Northstar engines about faulty camshafts causing idle issues. It won't hurt the cars but you just learn to live with the idle. Hopefully the coil cassette can fix your issue.

Ok guys found the whole problem!! I checked for air leaks and didn't find any, so I changed the coils and that did not fix the problem. So I decided to changes the phlegm gaskets. When I took the phlegm of I found the that the boot between the phlegm and the throttle body was blown out just enough that went I sprayed nothing would happen. I put a new boot in (40 dollars from dealer) and now the car is running better than the day I got it!!! No more generic misfire code. Also that old tremble that it when I got the car is gone to! The baby is like new again!! So, as they say, trial and error found out that it really only needed that boot! Hope "my" training (LOL) will help others out before they buy parts that they don't really need. But I will keep my ole parts just in case I ever do need them. Thanks to everyone, between you guys and my changing parts I found the real problem.

This is the best place to be if you need help!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.