Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2003 Deville transmission fluid change

39K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Ranger 
#1 ·
i want to change the trans fluid on my 03 deville, i here that theres a hidden drain plug under the pan can some guide me to were its located and how many quarts of fluid will it take when drained, and also what is the correct torque for the pan bolts,and any other tips will be appreciated
and also have any ever installed a drain plug in there pan? on all my past cars i always installed an after market drain plug in my pans

#2 ·
Re: 2003 deville trans fuid change

Somewhere on this forum there is a post explaining how to disconnect your trans cooler line at the radiator and runing the engine to pump the fluid out. I tried it this way once and it worked great. Do a search for the post.

#3 ·

The post might be difficult to locate.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
4T80-E transaxle fluid pump-out.

The transaxle fluid is connected to the LH radiator end tank for cooling purposes. Transaxle fluid pressure is routed to the bottom end tank fitting and the fluid is returned to the transaxle via the upper end tank fitting. Pumping the system dry becomes a matter of removing the return line from the upper end tank fitting and adapting the configuration of the end tank plumbing so the fluid can be directed to a large bucket instead of being returned to the transaxle. Fluid IN at the bottom and fluid OUT at the top.

My '98 Seville (and many other year models) used a quick-disconnect arrangement at the top fitting. There is a plastic/nylon collar covering a hair pin spring that secures the steel line to the fitting in the radiator end tank.Slide the collar out of the way, remove the hair pin spring, and separate the steel line from the radiator fitting. DO NOT lose the spring or the O ring on the end of the steel line.

Use your plumbing skills to adapt the radiator fitting to something that allows a hose to be attached so the fluid can be directed to your large bucket. Pictured is the fitting I used with a '98 Seville.

Use enough hose so you can place the bucket beside the open driver's door. Run the engine @ idle in PARK and be prepared to stop the engine the instant fluid flow stops. This method will pump out approximately 11 to 12 quarts of transaxle fluid.

Button all the plumbing back to original and pour 11 quarts of DEXRON VI in the transaxle. Drive the car at least five miles to warm the new fluid and adjust the level on the dipstick as needed. Always check fluid level warm with engine @ idle in PARK.

jd

Attachments

#4 ·

i feel more comfortable just dropping the pan and doing it that way, i wanna change the filters any ways, beside im sure by pumping the trans dry that way could possibly cause some damage? i sure wouldnt change my engine oil that way

#5 ·

There are no filters to change. There IS a filter that gets changed when the transmission is overhauled - and the reason is that you need to take the transmission apart to get to it. The advice on doing a fluid exchange is sound, safe, and simple to do. You will not damage the transmission.

Why turn a simple job into nightmare ???? - and if you do a pan drop and side tank drain you get about half the 15 quarts of fluid out - using the "pump it out" method you get 80% of the old fluid out.

4T80E transmission fluid requirements:

Bottom pan/side tank drain - 7.4 quarts
Pumped out the cooler line - 12.5 quarts
Complete overhaul (no converter) - 12.6 quarts
Total rebuild with converter - 15 quarts

Consider changing to the new DEXRON-VI. DEXRON-III is obsolete and has not been used by GM - for new or repair - since 2006.
Use the correct posted advice on fluid level checks.

#7 ·

There are no filters to change. There IS a filter that gets changed when the transmission is overhauled - and the reason is that you need to take the transmission apart to get to it. The advice on doing a fluid exchange is sound, safe, and simple to do. You will not damage the transmission.

Why turn a simple job into nightmare ???? - and if you do a pan drop and side tank drain you get about half the 15 quarts of fluid out - using the "pump it out" method you get 80% of the old fluid out.

4T80E transmission fluid requirements:

Bottom pan/side tank drain - 7.4 quarts
Pumped out the cooler line - 12.5 quarts
Complete overhaul (no converter) - 12.6 quarts
Total rebuild with converter - 15 quarts

Consider changing to the new DEXRON-VI. DEXRON-III is obsolete and has not been used by GM - for new or repair - since 2006.
Use the correct posted advice on fluid level checks.
i bought a pan gasket from napa yesterday and it came with two filters, one is 8" by 1 1/2 " and the other filter is about 10" long and shaped like a bomarang, why would it come with these two filters if there are none to change???
and what do u mean by the side tank? is that the hidden drain plug???

#6 ·

I agree. I prefer a pan drop, though it is harder and messier. A pan drop without pumping out the TC will cost about 8 qts if I remember correctly. The hidden drain plug is under the side cover.

The "filter" is internal and only accessible during a complete tear down. There are 2 screens that are cleanable and reusable (that you would never see if you don't drop the pan). The gasket is also reusable.

Attachments

#8 ·
They are not so much filters as they are screens. Plastic/mesh? Seems to me 1 is parallel to steering rack and 1 is parallel to road. U remove the "road" one and there is a bolt about 1" from the filter inlet that protrudes more than all the other bolts next to it. That is the plug for the side pan

#9 · (Edited)

Look in your GM service manual or in www.gmpartsdirect.com.

FWIW, the labor rate for replacement of the fluid filter in the 4T80E transmission is 10.8 hours - and that's in a fully equipped GM shop.

If your present fluid is clear red and does not smell burnt, why are you changing it ???? What is the percentage of your transmission fluid OLM ?

"Side tank" - Your transmission is a dry sump unit. There will be NO FLUID on the stick with the engine OFF. That's the drain plug in Ranger's picture. JimD's pumpout method is clean, simple, safe and gets almost twice the fluid out than a pan/tank drain........... and it's almost the exact duplicate of the method that a GM dealer uses to do a "Transmission fluid exchange".

#14 · (Edited)

i still have 100% on the olm but the car has 52k on it, the fluid is clear red and not burnt smell, i figured at 52k it was do? and how does the dealer get 10.8 hours for just a pan drop??
You didn't read my post about the fluid filter change. Not "pan drop" - fluid filter change.

If the OLM is at 100% and the fluid is clear, let it go to at least 100,000 miles. Transmission fluid, barring catastrophic internal failure, is forever. It is never subjected to anything approaching the contamination that engine oil experiences.

EDIT: If your 2003 has only 52 Kmiles, that's 5200 miles/year. The transmission fluid will last forever. (Well, almost .........) That's extremely light duty driving - What does your owner's manual say about transmission fluid change intervals and driving habits ?

#13 ·
houg said:
i still have 100% on the olm but the car has 52k on it, the fluid is clear red and not burnt smell, i figured at 52k it was do? and how does the dealer get 10.8 hours for just a pan drop??
They don't. They get 10.8 to change the fluid filter which is under the side pan. The screens you got with your kit are screens, not the filter. And they are cleanable and reusable, as is your pan gasket. In short, you just bought things you don't need.

#15 ·
and also have any ever installed a drain plug in there pan? on all my past cars i always installed an after market drain plug in my pans
I personally don't like add-on drain plugs. Trans fluid doesn't need changing frequently enough & it's just an extra thing to leak or bottom out on.
But since you've done it before, you'll probably do it again.
Why seek approval now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.