'99 Deville recently brought out of Hypersleep - looking for pointers...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, '99 Deville recently brought out of Hypersleep - looking for pointers... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all, long time lurker, 1st time (I think) poster. I recently brought our 1999 Deville back from a 3 ...
    Charybdis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Sedan Deville

'99 Deville recently brought out of Hypersleep - looking for pointers...

Hi all, long time lurker, 1st time (I think) poster.

I recently brought our 1999 Deville back from a 3 year-or-so period of hibernation in our driveway. Sort of like Ripley at the beginning of Aliens, just not so prolonged. We jumped it back to life, drove it on its crusty tires, 4 year-old gas and garnish of dead leaves down to the local mechanic and had him do fluid changes & give us a new battery, wiper blades, tires & an inspection (which it passed on its 2nd try - failed emissions 1st time).

So - it has <40,000 miles on it and drives very smooth & quiet. I want to keep it in good condition, because otherwise it's a waste of a nice car, right? Things that needs to be fixed / tweaked are:
    Drivers seat doesn't move back & forth - you can hear a "click" beneath the seat when you hit the switch though
    The trunk pulldown doesn't work - I fixed it before by taking it apart, cleaning it & reassembling but it just flaked out again
    It's a thirsty beast - 13mpg estimated (I have a feeling a flush of the fuel system & new filter might help that)
    AC blows nice and toasty warm whether I like it or not
    The hood paint is faded compared to the rest of the car - wondering if a repaint is best or if that can be restored?
    It has a few little rust spots on the edges of doors - wondering if I can paint over those with something?

I read on the technical advisory for this forum about cadillac A, B, C & D checkups at the dealer... maybe I should bring it in & let them give it a once-over and just establish a maintenance "baseline"?

Anyway - thanks in advance for any suggestions. It's a nice car, like driving around in a big black leather hovercraft, and I want to take care of it in future.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Re: '99 Deville recently brought out of Hypersleep - looking for pointers...

Non moving seat sounds like a bad seat motor-junkyard part
    Trunk pull down- again, junkyard part.

For mileage, what driving is that based on?

A/C sounds like it needs a Freon Recharge

As far as faded paint, you may try waxing it. I'm not sure what to do there.

On the edge of the doors? Sand it to bare metal, prime and paint with proper match would be ideal. If nothing else, sand to bare metal and use some touch up paint.

Good luck and welcome!

SUPER LAC DEVILLE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville
    Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis View Post
    Hi all, long time lurker, 1st time (I think) poster.

I recently brought our 1999 Deville back from a 3 year-or-so period of hibernation in our driveway. Sort of like Ripley at the beginning of Aliens, just not so prolonged. We jumped it back to life, drove it on its crusty tires, 4 year-old gas and garnish of dead leaves down to the local mechanic and had him do fluid changes & give us a new battery, wiper blades, tires & an inspection (which it passed on its 2nd try - failed emissions 1st time).

So - it has <40,000 miles on it and drives very smooth & quiet. I want to keep it in good condition, because otherwise it's a waste of a nice car, right? Things that needs to be fixed / tweaked are:
    Drivers seat doesn't move back & forth - you can hear a "click" beneath the seat when you hit the switch though
    The trunk pulldown doesn't work - I fixed it before by taking it apart, cleaning it & reassembling but it just flaked out again
    It's a thirsty beast - 13mpg estimated (I have a feeling a flush of the fuel system & new filter might help that)
    AC blows nice and toasty warm whether I like it or not
    The hood paint is faded compared to the rest of the car - wondering if a repaint is best or if that can be restored?
    It has a few little rust spots on the edges of doors - wondering if I can paint over those with something?

I read on the technical advisory for this forum about cadillac A, B, C & D checkups at the dealer... maybe I should bring it in & let them give it a once-over and just establish a maintenance "baseline"?

Anyway - thanks in advance for any suggestions. It's a nice car, like driving around in a big black leather hovercraft, and I want to take care of it in future.
    Changing the fuel pressure regulator helped my mpg but if u haven't driven the car in years I would suggest resetting your gauges and driving it 10/20 miles city/hwy...

If its anything like mine u should see your instant trip around 15/16 mpg and your average mpg between 14/18mpg on that trip

Also might wanna add some new premium gas and some Chevron with Techron fuel system cleaner and then make that drive around town

See if the car has any complaints by checking its built in code reader...

Hold the Warm and Off buttons for about 3 or 4 seconds on your climate control center and be ready to write down the codes it displays on the DIC... Post'm here and I'll look them up and try and give u the Definitions...

There's a page in CF that can tell u too but I don't have the link but the other members can tell u where to look for that

Personally don't trust dealerships but to each their own

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I think the paint code is on the driver door on the sticker or plate with the other manufacturer date and info

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Paint code under spare tire cover in trunk. BC/CC then code.
    Change the fuel filter.
    My two(97 &98) average 20 and 22 combo city/rural mileage. I can tell you if you keep your foot in these pigs they will get 10mpg...

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    Paint code under spare tire cover in trunk. BC/CC then code.
    Change the fuel filter.
    My two(97 &98) average 20 and 22 combo city/rural mileage. I can tell you if you keep your foot in these pigs they will get 10mpg...
    Ah
    Thanks for the correction

I tap and coast a lot to milk what I can out of the gas
    Works well in the city when everyone is racing from one red light to the next. Lol

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis View Post
    Flushing is for toilets, not fuel systems. It won't help a thing. Neither will premium gas. Check for a leaky FPR. DO NOT just arbitrarily change it.

Charybdis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Sedan Deville

Hey all, thanks a lot for the advice & pointers.

I checked the codes, they were all historical, nothing new has shown since I cleared them & drove around for a while. Acknowledged about the premium gas & fuel system cleaner. I'll do that. I'll also check the fuel pressure regulator & change the filter. I'm sure it didn't like having to drink that old fuel. I'm still toying with the idea of taking it to a dealership & having them at least replace the coolant, I know this particular engine is sensitive to that. I'd just hate to ruin the car through neglect or foolishness.
    I'm also going to repaint the little bare/rust patches. Those are very small, fortunately. Now let's see if I can replace or fix the trunk pulldown before it rains here again. Thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow...

Thanks again!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.