Losing 2 gallons plus a day of coolant....head gasket? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Losing 2 gallons plus a day of coolant....head gasket? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Your theories on "planned obsolescence" and 60's cars are totally incorrect. Too bad you weren't around to drive brand new ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Losing 2 gallons plus a day of coolant....head gasket?

Your theories on "planned obsolescence" and 60's cars are totally incorrect. Too bad you weren't around to drive brand new 1953, 1955, 1956, 1960, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1967 cars from Ford, Chevy, Jaguar, MG, Mercury, Austin-Healey. They ALL had the exact same parts and electrical mortality problems of today's cars. The OEM and aftermarket car parts business has always been healthy and well-used. PepBoys and NAPA were big-time when I was a snotnosed kid - even Sears used to sell quite a line of car parts. During high school I was a part-time parts runner for a large Chevrolet dealership - the sheer volume of parts (of every type and make) transferred between GM dealers in DC in the 50's was impressive.

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Ha! See you never drove a '66!

Quote Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
    Ha! See you never drove a '66!
    Restored several - Chevelles, Impala, and a Cougar. Plenty new parts. Never owned a new '66.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Restored several - Chevelles, Impala, and a Cougar. Plenty new parts. Never owned a new '66.
    Well I might be over then for your help. You live out near Pat Sajak right?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Today's cars are designed to fail at the drawing board. Parts are tested and retested to fail after x amount of years. Parts that last too long are redesigned so that they will fail.
    Oh my God. Where in the world did you come up with this conspiracy theory? You don't honestly believe this, do you?

Planned obsolescence is not a conspiracy theory. It might be a stretch to say parts designed too well are redesigned to not last as long (however I do believe this happens), but it is not that big of a stretch. Planned obsolescence in the automobile industry is well-documented. You can read a lot about this with a Google search of the appropriate terms. How else would you explain nylon faced timing gears instead of all metal ones? How else would you explain a radiator made out of plastic instead of brass? I get that a manufacturer needs to sell product and has a vested interest in not having their products last forever. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

With computer controlled cars like we have today, that in itself is the perfect planned obsolescence. A real boon to the auto-industry. Computer components will not last. If everything else on your car had a 100 year lifespan, the computer components would still fail. They are expensive and frequently need specialized installation equipment. This is why I say almost no modern car will ever become collectible like pre-80s cars will. The computer controlled stuff will fail and unless you are going to remove it all, it will not be practical to keep these cars running. Many of them will not work well and some not at all if even one of these components doesn't work. So now we have a 180 where the car's shell lasts forever but the internal components will fall apart around you.

I am not saying today's cars are any better or worse then older cars (certainly they are safer), but I am saying they lack survivability and longevity.

Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    Global warming and ozone depletion is well documented and all over Internet as well but that doesn't make it true. LoL

That's a fairly warped outlook on 'longevity', Slipgate. ANYTHING, properly maintained and repaired, will last "forever". Witness the number of lovingly cared-for cars, trucks, ships, airplanes, printing presses, Caterpillar tractors, John Deere stuff, firearms, and ad infinitum. BUT - those preserved examples and museum pieces are but a tiny, tiny fraction of the original manufacture; The rest have been turned into Chinese pulleys and Budweiser cans.

Use an average speed of your liking, calculate the revolutions per mile in engine speed, and calculate the number of revolutions an engine makes in 100,000 miles. Planned obsolescense ???? Take a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) at the number of times a strut or shock absorber stops 1,000 pounds of car corner and suspension from hopping all over the road in 100,000 miles and tell me it should not wear out.

(At 60 mph for 100,000 miles my engine would have turned 205,000,000 revolutions. Planned obsolescense ??? Nope - miracle of longevity)

Taken to absurdity, your take on longevity says that I-95 should never need repaving .............. heck - I have a certified NRA mint example of a Remington Model 32 over/under 12 gauge - #951, made in '32. Of the thousands of those made there are damned few in as fine a condition - firearms wear out, too ........... planned obsolescense ??? I'm actuarially past my death age - unplanned obsolescense ???

I did specifically exclude wear items.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I think I can safely say that my '03 DHS is much more reliable and has required MUCH less repairs than my '61 Ford Galaxy. The DHS is 10 years old and just turned 100K and still looks and runs like new. The ford was 6 years old with about 60K on it when I sold it to enter the Army. It didn't have much life left in it and I doubt it ever saw 100K. I think I spent more time under it than in it.

Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    My 91 Chevy truck has 370,000 miles with the original 305 engine. But most everything else has been replaced in the last 5 years. Ac, alt, trans, radiator, fuel pump, ect ect ect lol

70cougar is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 DTS, 70 Cougar conv

I currently own 2 cars: a '70 Cougar XR7 351C convertible and an '02 DTS. Both bought new. I do most of the mechanical work on the DTS and all of it on the Mercury. 93k miles on the old one, 127k on the Cad. The '70 convertible has fully restored exterior, needed it, but original engine and transmission.

I have complete repair records. Which one proved to be more reliable (fewer component failures) as a daily driver? No contest - the DTS, despite being much more complex. And safety and convenience and comfort features are of course no contest either.

The Cougar, still fun to drive, is on its 3rd radiator. The good old days of car reliability are now.

I dunno - had a righteous '67 Cougar 289 that I drove to 165,000 with not a lot of problems - yes, a radiator, brakes, water pump, shocks, small stuff. Paint job in ??? '76, but 3 of us did it in a Navy auto hobby shop in Charleston. Original lime green metallic/clearcoat. Bought it from a Filipino family in Charleston in '73 for $600. Sold it outright in '80 for $2,000.

70cougar is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 DTS, 70 Cougar conv

Sub - yes, but you probably didn't know what problems the other owners had - they did decide to sell a 6 year old car for only $600. Don't know the original sticker price on your '67, but mine was $3,850 in '70. They are fun cars, that's why I still have mine.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

With computer controlled cars like we have today, that in itself is the perfect planned obsolescence. A real boon to the auto-industry. Computer components will not last. If everything else on your car had a 100 year lifespan, the computer components would still fail. They are expensive and frequently need specialized installation equipment. This is why I say almost no modern car will ever become collectible like pre-80s cars will. The computer controlled stuff will fail and unless you are going to remove it all, it will not be practical to keep these cars running. Many of them will not work well and some not at all if even one of these components doesn't work. So now we have a 180 where the car's shell lasts forever but the internal components will fall apart around you.
    Huh? Trust me, your local junkyard is filled to the brim with cars that ran like brand new when they entered the gates... Modern electronics and engine management systems are far outlasting the cars they are installed into.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.