Losing 2 gallons plus a day of coolant....head gasket? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Losing 2 gallons plus a day of coolant....head gasket? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by SUPER LAC DEVILLE You should prolly know that the radiator doesn't hold trans fluid The transmission cooler ...
    MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPER LAC DEVILLE
    You should prolly know that the radiator doesn't hold trans fluid
    The transmission cooler is in the drivers side radiator end tank.

SUPER LAC DEVILLE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The transmission cooler is in the drivers side radiator end tank.
    Radiator
    Transmission Cooler

Same Thing, Huh?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

The transmission cooler is like a radiator for the transmission. In these cars, it's a liquid to liquid cooler. It's cooled by the engine coolant in the radiator.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Losing 2 gallons plus a day of coolant....head gasket?

Think of a small tank full of trans fluid inside the radiator side tank surrounded by coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The transmission cooler is like a radiator for the transmission. In these cars, it's a liquid to liquid cooler. It's cooled by the engine coolant in the radiator.
    Yah

I got that
    Jus not what I read

Its the lil radiator but its for the transmission fluid

Thanks MC

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Relax my friend, I was criticizing the instructions, not attacking the messenger. I appreciate you posting them, but they are not only wrong, they leave out most of the important, harder steps.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPER LAC DEVILLE View Post
    U asked for Instructions

I gave u exactly what the Service Manual Has for Instructions, including the additional instructions for each invoked process

I could have said remove radiator install new one but that doesn't really direct u thru the process

I apologize for giving you what you asked for

You can rest assured you won't get any help from me again

Oh,

Congratulations on removing your Radiator ...

You should prolly know that the radiator doesn't hold trans fluid

But you prolly didn't read the manual either

----------

The small "radiator" in front of the condenser is the oil cooler. The transmission fluid cooler is integrated into the car's main radiator. It is like this in most cars with automatic transmissions.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPER LAC DEVILLE View Post
    Yah

I got that
    Jus not what I read

Its the lil radiator but its for the transmission fluid

Thanks MC

The oil cooler, if equipped, would be in the passengers side radiator end tank. The small "radiator" is for the power steering fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
    Relax my friend, I was criticizing the instructions, not attacking the messenger. I appreciate you posting them, but they are not only wrong, they leave out most of the important, harder steps.

----------

The small "radiator" in front of the condenser is the oil cooler. The transmission fluid cooler is integrated into the car's main radiator. It is like this in most cars with automatic transmissions.
    Ok
    Thanks
    I see different set ups on some 97/98/99 Deville's
    Apparently they're personal modifications as I rarely see them

I just finished. Not too bad pretty straight forward. It sucks though to have to bend over so much with a bad back. 2 Vicodins later though and that pain is masked. Once I took the battery out it was a lot easier. One of the screws did not fit correctly on the new radiator so I left it out. And I did decide to leave out that screw that attaches the A/C lines to the radiator, it is just too hard to get too. Also I changed all clamps for worm clamps.

Now for the fun part!

These cars are the hardest cars to fill up with coolant. They need to sit for like 20 minutes to "burp" and then you can put in the rest. But I finally got it all in and drove it around a few miles, then came back and let it sit idling in the driveway for 20 minutes. It stayed pretty much right at 200. And it was 90 out. No leaks at all that I can see. And once I had the old tank out, behind where the passenger side hose connects the tank was swelled and had a 4" crack. I am surprised it was not leaking more. It is so sad that GM builds in an expiration date on their products. Such obvious planned obsolescence. Wouldn't want too many of them driving around huh?

If I had to do it again it would be half the time. Now I am debating selling it.

Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipgate

These cars are the hardest cars to fill up with coolant. They need to sit for like 20 minutes to "burp" and then you can put in the rest. But I finally got it all in and drove it around a few miles, then came back and let it sit idling in the driveway for 20 minutes. It stayed pretty much right at 200. And it was 90 out. No leaks at all that I can see. And once I had the old tank out, behind where the passenger side hose connects the tank was swelled and had a 4" crack. I am surprised it was not leaking more. It is so sad that GM builds in an expiration date on their products. Such obvious planned obsolescence. Wouldn't want too many of them driving around huh?
    One of the best investments I've made is an Air Lift. You hook it up to the radiator or recovery tank, it sucks out all the air, and then will fill it back up with coolant. Its prolly not cost efficient for a home mechanic but on all the coolant related jobs I do at work, it's be awesome to have.

BTW an oe radiator from a 98 lasting this long isn't really anything to complain about. I see them go out on 4 and 5 year old cars of all makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy-EaRL View Post
    BTW an oe radiator from a 98 lasting this long isn't really anything to complain about. I see them go out on 4 and 5 year old cars of all makes.
    I have a 1966 Impala out in my garage with its original radiator, so YES, I think I can complain about only 15 years out of it! Again, the point is that it IS designed to fail. It IS specifically designed NOT to last. It is the definition of planned obsolescence.
    bigblackdodge likes this.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

If you're complaining about a cracked rad after 15 years... that's pretty bad. If you think about it, the point is moot since 95% of '66 Impalas never made it to 15 years because they just weren't built well enough. Stand back and take a good look at your 15 year old Cadillac, and think about what most '60's Impalas looked like after even 7-8 years. So yeah, maybe the '66 Impala had a longer lasting radiator, but that radiator isn't helping you when it's falling through a swiss cheese rad cradle and the rest of the car has fallen apart around it.

There are plenty of other comparisons you could make between that '66 Impala and a modern vehicle that would expose the relative poor build quality it has. '60's cars were far from high quality and definitely not built to last. Else, we'd still be driving them - not restoring them.

If you or anyone else has ever found the car that never breaks, let me know. I'll buy one right now. For now, I'll enjoy the positive progress we continue to make.

Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipgate

I have a 1966 Impala out in my garage with its original radiator, so YES, I think I can complain about only 15 years out of it! Again, the point is that it IS designed to fail. It IS specifically designed NOT to last. It is the definition of planned obsolescence.

That's hillarious lol

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

These cars are the hardest cars to fill up with coolant. They need to sit for like 20 minutes to "burp" and then you can put in the rest. But I finally got it all in and drove it around a few miles, then came back and let it sit idling in the driveway for 20 minutes.
    For future reference just run the RPM up to about 3K and hold it for a bit. That should purge most of the air MUCH faster than sitting at idle. Top it off and then check it after the next drive or two in case it needs another top off.

I understand what you are saying, but I think you are missing the point. That being today's cars are designed to fail at the drawing board. Parts are tested and retested to fail after x amount of years. Parts that last too long are redesigned so that they will fail. I do not think cars of the 60s were specifically designed to fail. And there is nothing on that car that is falling apart. Other then rust, which the industry has made many advances since the 60s, nothing original on that car would not work today (accept consumables). Even the rust isn't that bad due to the high quality steel. Hell the original factory power windows still work on their original motors! And I cannot see anyone in 30 years trying to "restore" a 1998 Cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    If you're complaining about a cracked rad after 15 years... that's pretty bad. If you think about it, the point is moot since 95% of '66 Impalas never made it to 15 years because they just weren't built well enough. Stand back and take a good look at your 15 year old Cadillac, and think about what most '60's Impalas looked like after even 7-8 years. So yeah, maybe the '66 Impala had a longer lasting radiator, but that radiator isn't helping you when it's falling through a swiss cheese rad cradle and the rest of the car has fallen apart around it.

There are plenty of other comparisons you could make between that '66 Impala and a modern vehicle that would expose the relative poor build quality it has. '60's cars were far from high quality and definitely not built to last. Else, we'd still be driving them - not restoring them.

If you or anyone else has ever found the car that never breaks, let me know. I'll buy one right now. For now, I'll enjoy the positive progress we continue to make.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.