Losing 2 gallons plus a day of coolant....head gasket? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Losing 2 gallons plus a day of coolant....head gasket? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; At this point I would suggest you not concern urself with the ( millage ) issues u posted and enjoy ...
    SUPER LAC DEVILLE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville
    At this point I would suggest you not concern urself with the ( millage ) issues u posted and enjoy the ride

2mpg difference isn't something to worry bout wit ur specific post... Temps er otherwise

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Slipgate likes this.

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Re: Losing 2 gallons plus a day of coolant....head gasket?

Well to be honest I have a total love/hate relationship with my Caddy. On the one hand I like to drive it, it is a great big land yacht which I love, but on the other hand, I wish it would die already because it really is just in the way. I have 4 cars and don't need/want 4 cars. Not to mention it comes between me and the Charger. But it is a good deer punching bag/commuter car. FWD is great in the winter. And I'd be livid if a long-legged rat smashed my Charger. I already volunteered to take care of the deer problem with the MD DNR but they turned me down (I sadly put my Tommy Gun back in its case). Bottom-line If I learned the HG failed, I think I would secretly be happy. And yes I could sell it I guess. Maybe get $2k?

SUPER LAC DEVILLE -> My original post/problem was losing 1-2 gallons a day in coolant (which is by now just water). I can't really ignore that so I need to concern myself with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
    Well to be honest I have a total love/hate relationship with my Caddy. On the one hand I like to drive it, it is a great big land yacht which I love, but on the other hand, I wish it would die already because it really is just in the way. I have 4 cars and don't need/want 4 cars. Not to mention it comes between me and the Charger. But it is a good deer punching bag/commuter car. FWD is great in the winter. And I'd be livid if a long-legged rat smashed my Charger. I already volunteered to take care of the deer problem with the MD DNR but they turned me down (I sadly put my Tommy Gun back in its case). Bottom-line If I learned the HG failed, I think I would secretly be happy. And yes I could sell it I guess. Maybe get $2k?

SUPER LAC DEVILLE -> My original post/problem was losing 1-2 gallons a day in coolant (which is by now just water). I can't really ignore that so I need to concern myself with it.
    I wasn't serious

I was being silly

I apologize

Like I said tho... Maybe it's being purged from the tank... I don't know, but everything else looks good from what u posted

If u need any other instructions from the service manual jus let me know and I'll do my best to help

It takes a lil time to configure from copying and pasting bc of the images tho

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    SON OF A GUN!

SUPER LAC is learning!

Don't let it go to your head

And keep it up!
    Yeeaaaah me !

Wait,

what I learn?!

Lol!!!

CadillacLuke24 likes this.

I thought I got lucky! I squeezed the radiator hose clamp with some pliers where it is leaking and water started to come out pretty good. So I tool off the squeeze clamp and replaced it with a traditional worm clamp. I refilled it (with water) and took it for a 20 minute spin. Temps were ok but near the end it was up around 220. So I parked it and took a look. Water was pretty much pouring out of that area. I still can't tell where it is leaking but I think it might be cracked underneath where the hose attaches. So I ordered a new radiator - $79 shipped! Sure looks like a lot of crap to remove to replace it.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'd suspect the hose or the neck it clamps to before the clamp.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

....Water was pretty much pouring out of that area. I still can't tell where it is leaking but I think it might be cracked underneath where the hose attaches.
    IF that is the radiator hose on the RH side, you can expect to find a crack in the plastic end tank in the area under the hose fitting. With a cold engine, the crack will be hard to see, but you should be able to feel it with a fingernail.

Been there done that with a '98 Seville when I was ~~ 350 miles from my driveway. Rather than placing myself at the mercy of some questionable repair facility at 'small town, USA', I bought plastic containers and slowly nursed the car home by refilling the cooling system with water whenever the CHECK COOLANT LEVEL message appeared. The trip took about 10 hours and I poured at least eight gallons of water through the cooling system stopping approximately every 40 miles (on I-75).

The weight of that RH radiator hose is not supported enough to prevent engine movement/road vibrations from creating a lot of flexing in the area of the RH radiator end tank hose fitting.

OK well I just about have the old radiator out. But I can't see what is holding it in at the bottom. I don't think there are any bolts down there. There is a really hard to get to bolt that connects the A/C lines to the radiator though. That is going to be a PITA to get out. I can barely reach anything at all. I see now why they recommend taking out the condenser core with it.

Anyone know what is holding it in? I can't get to anything on the bottom without taking a bunch of stuff off under the car. It looks like it just lifts out but something is still holding it to the condenser. I got the top frame off so it isn't at the top.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    IIRC, the condenser is "hung" on the radiator, and has to be unhooked before removing the radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    IIRC, the condenser is "hung" on the radiator, and has to be unhooked before removing the radiator.
    How do I do that? Just pull it away from it?

Take a good look at the bottom and sides of the condenserC and see if it's attached to the radiator anywhere. I honestly don't remember specifics on how it's mounted.

OK its out! You are right, the condenser has to be lifted about an inch and brought towards the front of the car about 1/4" to "unhook" it from the radiator. That 7mm bolt on the side that holds the A/C lines is a beotch to get to! Fortunately it is just one. Not sure how I am going to put that one back on. I will finish some other time the goal for tonight was to get it out.

There were multiple cracks in the radiator both front and back on the right hand side plastic tank. Not sure if I did that when removing it or if that was already there but I think they were already there.

The directions someone posted on this post are useless btw. They may as well have said, "Remove old radiator, install new one.". That would have been more useful.

Anyone know how much trans fluid the radiator holds? I guess I will check the dipstick.

Note to self: Steam clean entire engine compartment before doing work like this in the future!
    bigblackdodge likes this.

Get yourself a thin piece of cardboard to put between the radiator and condenser when you install the new radiator. It'll keep the find from getting bent.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I don't know how much trans fluid the cooler holds, but it can't be much. Just pour it into a cool whip container or such and replace the same amount.

OK its out! You are right, the condenser has to be lifted about an inch and brought towards the front of the car about 1/4" to "unhook" it from the radiator. That 7mm bolt on the side that holds the A/C lines is a beotch to get to! Fortunately it is just one. Not sure how I am going to put that one back on. I will finish some other time the goal for tonight was to get it out.

There were multiple cracks in the radiator both front and back on the right hand side plastic tank. Not sure if I did that when removing it or if that was already there but I think they were already there.

The directions someone posted on this post are useless btw. They may as well have said, "Remove old radiator, install new one.". That would have been more useful.

Anyone know how much trans fluid the radiator holds? I guess I will check the dipstick.

Note to self: Steam clean entire engine compartment before doing work like this in the future!
    U asked for Instructions

I gave u exactly what the Service Manual Has for Instructions, including the additional instructions for each invoked process

I could have said remove radiator install new one but that doesn't really direct u thru the process

I apologize for giving you what you asked for

You can rest assured you won't get any help from me again

Oh,

Congratulations on removing your Radiator ...

You should prolly know that the radiator doesn't hold trans fluid

But you prolly didn't read the manual either

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.