Update Using Chevron 15w/40 Oil With 2 Quart Top Off - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Update Using Chevron 15w/40 Oil With 2 Quart Top Off in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Ranger Tightening head bolts is a bad idea. Head bolts have a thread locker applied from the ...
    SUPER LAC DEVILLE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

Re: Update Using Chevron 15w/40 Oil With 2 Quart Top Off

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Tightening head bolts is a bad idea. Head bolts have a thread locker applied from the factory. That not only locks the bolt, but seals the threads as well. That's the distinctive "snap" that is heard when the are "cracked" loose. Re-tightening them probably did more harm than good.
    Well, what I remember is that I was told that either they were loose from normal wear (separation or stripping?) or someone loosened them intentionally but didn't retighten them at all... being that it was only 3 bolts he believed someone loosened them... but He said he retighten them by hand incase they were stripping from the block... but they seemed pretty snug afterwards

I don't know what the previous owner did as far as who or where he took it for maintenance, but there were several issues of "rigging" I had my mechanic friend undo after I bought the car...

Its still eating coolant (about 2 gallons) every day or so depending on how much I drive... but I check and refill it every 2 days no matter what... maybe it did make it worse???

All I know is he didn't charge me much for the repairs compared to what the Cadillac Dealership wanted ($4k/$5k)... and the car still isn't smoking like he said it may be

Like I said, the only thing I have left to fix that I can presently afford to do on my own is the Magnasteer thing... If it would stop raining I could check that but the engine and transmission will take a couple of years for me to save the money for

When I get there ill definitely know what "maintenance" has contributed to its present condition.... and I'm sure I will be posting picks for everyone to say;

"We told ya so Super Lac" ... LOL !!!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Unless your mechanic removed one or both cam covers during a starter change (not necessary, by the way) then it would be impossible to "tighten 3 head bolts".

Ask your mechanic point blank just what he did to determine that 3 head bots were "loose".

We went through the 15W-40 oil thing for your engine a while back in other threads - Bottom line: 15W-40 oil is the wrong viscosity range for your engine at any time for any reason in any location.

"Thick" - "thin" - 5W-anything acts like a 5W oil at startup to allow quick pressure buildup and full flow. The second figure -20, -30, -40 - is what viscosity the oil operates at when it comes up to design temperature - about 200 degrees F.

A 5W-30 oil starts up as a thin, easy-flowing oil to build proper operation quickly and, through the magic of chemistry, it actually increases in viscosity rating as it warms up.

The Northstar is a tight tolerance engine, thus the viscosity recommendations; older large pushrod engines and diesels have very different lubrication requirements, thus the heavier mutigrades. Motorcycles use 20W-50 oils in many cases. "But, Sub - thick oils are oilier than thin oils !" Wrong. Ford uses 5W-20 in their cars and light trucks and has had no lubrication problems - and that's since at least 2003.
    SUPER LAC DEVILLE likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post

Ask your mechanic point blank just what he did to determine that 3 head bots were "loose".
    I remember he had the whole top off when I was there checking on it ... but im not familiar with the cam covers... is it the black plastic looking things???

But I will do that Sub, thanks

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    After you ask him, find a new mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    After you ask him, find a new mechanic.
    Unfortunately, he's the only Mechanic I know personally, that I even Vaguely Trust around my car... And only bc I'm aloud to watch and ask questions about what he's doing when I'm there...

I jus wasn't there for the Starter Install when he said he tightened the head bolts... He had the car for 3 days and during that time I dropped in for a few minutes to see how things were going... That's when he updated me on the head bolts...

He explained a lot of stuff about my engine but only a few things stuck as it becomes another language at a certain point

But for some reason, every other mechanic I've met since I've been here will Not allow me to watch them or even question what they're gonna do if I decide to let them work on my car

The whole Attitude of

"I'll fix it while you're not around"

jus doesn't sit well with me

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by SUPER LAC DEVILLE View Post
    im not familiar with the cam covers... is it the black plastic looking things???
    Cam covers aka valve covers.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Most mechanics don't like being watched (right basscatt?) Finding one that will explain the problem, and the repair before they do any work, shouldn't be too difficult.

Being able to watch your mechanic is worthless if he doesn't know what he's doing, and makes things up as he goes.

Most mechanics don't like being watched (right basscatt?) Finding one that will explain the problem, and the repair before they do any work, shouldn't be too difficult.

Being able to watch your mechanic is worthless if he doesn't know what he's doing, and makes things up as he goes.
    The difference between then and now is I have CF and u guys... As well as a 1980/2011 GM Service Manual.

There's no Misleading Me Now... (Evil Laugh Here)

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Here's my labor rate - but it hasn't been updated in 45 years - triple everything..................

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

-------------------------
    Most mechanics don't like being watched (right basscatt?)
    you got THAT right!
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

I have gummie bears tho

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by SUPER LAC DEVILLE View Post
    I have gummie bears tho

-----------------------
    I have gummie bears tho
    ya - but your hands are all sticky -
    and you drool a lot -
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    -----------------------
    I have gummie bears tho
    ya - but your hands are all sticky -
    and you drool a lot -
    Ah, u so berry bunny, hahaha

basscatt and CadillacLuke24 like this.

BPR-1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 deville

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    -------------------------
    Most mechanics don't like being watched (right basscatt?)
    you got THAT right!

I couldnt agree with you more...im not a mechanic of sorts,but i do build custom roll cages in race cars..
    And i HATE to be watched while im working.
    Even when i worked at other shops,i couldnt stand it one bit.

Jus to update

My mechanic friend said he took the time to check the head bolts bc he knew about these Cadillacs and knew I could have been suckered into potentially buying a car on its way to the junk yard...

In his view, I should have gotten rid of the car by now knowing the HG's are an issue I can't afford to fix

I was reminded of the conversations, and the phone calls and txts asking me about checking out the heads, doing a block test, and several other issues that I had him fix over a 3 month period

He informed me how much money he saved me by prolly a few thousand and how he feels insulted that I would call him with questions that implied doubt in his integrity in helping me and said...

I bet you won't find a mechanic that will take the time to explain what they're doing and why. And You Definitely Won't Find One As Cheap or That Will Let You Stand In Their Garage And Let You Watch

Feeling this small .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.