just picked up a 1995 deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, just picked up a 1995 deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; did some trading and ended up with a 1995 deville to use for getting back and forth to work, now ...
    SuperMidget is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 base Deville

just picked up a 1995 deville

did some trading and ended up with a 1995 deville to use for getting back and forth to work, now its time to work a few of the bugs out

motor runs good and strong with a minor oil seep on the front valve cover, trans shifts great and the gas mileage increase is great over my old 85 k5 i was able to retire as my daily driver to turn it into a mud toy

the few issues i need to tackle right now are that the blower motor doesn't doesn't work, it will spin for a second or 2 randomly if you turn it on but it does have power so i assume its the motor itself so i'm going to grab one at the junkyard and see if that helps so i can get the a/c working

my main problem right now is the suspension is shot, needs front struts in a bad way and on the rear the compressor comes on but doesn't level the car so i guess one of the air shocks is shot. i've done a ton of searching but mostly it is all about people looking to dump the money for the smoothest ride possible and in my case i just need function basicly, so i'm searching for the cheapest struts that will fit to replace the wore out ones on it

G56669 & G56670 listed at the parts stores for around $120 are half that on several other sites, and labeled as "except electronic adjustable suspension." are they the proper ones to use to swap to a passive strut or am i missing something?

and for the rear G56664
    http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...0195shabanstas

aside from needing to pick up a rear bumper (has damage on the driver side from a tire blow out the PO had) the body only has a few dings and dents... but its just a work car so i'm not to worried about that

2s6o7rd.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Re: just picked up a 1995 deville

Welcome to this great Cadillac owners site and congrats on your '95 Deville! I like your selection.
    The most cost effective way, i found on my '95 Deville,to fix the leaking rear air shocks was to get "passive" rear shocks".Most auto part stores carry passive shocks.I still have a comfortable cushy Caddy ride with the passive shocks.
    Others will chime in here too.

Really? I've seen a lot about using passive struts up front but only see comments about using air shocks in the rear... I will have to search around about a passive setup for the rear since it will be a more simple solution not having to deal with the air lines oe or manual fill either way

I really do like the car... I've always had a thing for big cars and have owned a few over the years... I'm not a small guy and its nice to have some room to move around without feeling cramped

This is only my 2nd experience with a Cadillac and the first didn't go so well... last year my wife got an 05 cts that busted the timing chain on the drive home day 1... car lot ate the repairs and it was great for a whole 3 months until the motor decided it was allergic to oil and it disappeared ... stopped and put 4qts in it and 2 days later she was on the side of the road with 0 oil again and a seized engine...

I hope this old 4.9 proves to be a little nicer to me

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    "Passive" has nothing to do with the air leveling system.

Active shocks/struts have adjustable damping force (stiffness), passive ones do not.

Your rear springs are fairly soft, and will only hold up the weight if the car with no extra load. Add weight to the trunk, or passengers, and the rear will sag.

Your compressor works, and ELC (Electronic Level Control) shocks are pretty cheap. I'd recommend Monroe. Check www.rockauto.com for part numbers and prices, then google the part number and see if you can find them cheaper.

The alternative is load assist shocks with helper springs. The ride will be harsher, the rear will still sag under heavier loads, and in some cases, they can be noisy.

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMidget View Post
    Really? I've seen a lot about using passive struts up front but only see comments about using air shocks in the rear... I will have to search around about a passive setup for the rear since it will be a more simple solution not having to deal with the air lines oe or manual fill either way

I really do like the car... I've always had a thing for big cars and have owned a few over the years... I'm not a small guy and its nice to have some room to move around without feeling cramped

This is only my 2nd experience with a Cadillac and the first didn't go so well... last year my wife got an 05 cts that busted the timing chain on the drive home day 1... car lot ate the repairs and it was great for a whole 3 months until the motor decided it was allergic to oil and it disappeared ... stopped and put 4qts in it and 2 days later she was on the side of the road with 0 oil again and a seized engine...

I hope this old 4.9 proves to be a little nicer to me
    Yes,really.Using passive rear shocks/struts is a simple solution,if money is an issue..Like you said,no air lines or manual fill or air pump motor to deal with.The air pump just has to be disconnected,it`s located under the car about midway.I ordered passives front and rear,online several years ago for my '95 Deville.I also have passives on my '78 Deville.Some here may tell you that you might have to replace the rear springs if you get passives.My passives work just fine with the "same" springs i had when i had the air ride.It`s a choice.
    The 4.9 is one of the best engines Cadillac ever made,if it was well maintained.Any used car is a gamble though.I bought my '95 from my aunt,and she kept it very well maintained.

Again, "passive" has nothing to do with ELC, and the rear coil springs were never designed to support extra weight without a functioning ELC system.

Money isn't really an issue and I'm not worried about the rear sagging... I actually like the current stance it has I am only using it to go to work so it will never be hauling more than me and the occasional times we take it vs my wife's car.... I just need to take the bounce out of the ride from the dead struts for my own comfort

I drive about 60 miles round trip daily that is all flat highway and interstate

To me for just a work car I don't ask for much... I'm coming from a slightly lifted 85 k5 blazer on 33in mud tires to a caddy... trust me the ride is already pretty damn good in my opinion

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

like MoistCabbage has already said -

you might be confused with terminology -

ACTIVE suspension and PASSIVE suspension
    refer to the valving inside the shocks and/or struts -

the PASSIVE units have a fixed valve - no electrical parts -

the ACTIVE units have a computer-controlled -
    adjustable valve to go from "normal" to "stiff" -

in the rear - ALL Devilles have the Electronic Level Control system -
    SOME Deville models have ACTIVE ELC systems -
    SOME Deville models have PASSIVE ELC systems -

this may help to understand -

Cadillac uses soft rear springs to give that "Cadillac ride" -

the rear springs are just strong enough
    to support the weight of the car - when empty -

any additional weight in the back seat or trunk
    will result in the rear end sitting too low -
    and this is when the ELC system takes over -
    to MAINTAIN PROPER RIDE-HEIGHT - REGARDLESS OF LOAD -

the rear shocks have air bladders built in -
    that - when inflated -
    will raise the body of the car to a predetermined level -

when the additional weight is removed - the rear will sit too high -
    the exhaust solenoid - built into the compressor assembly -
    will open - and allow the air bladders in the rear shocks to deflate -
    thus lowering the car back to the proper ride height -

IF the air compressor is defective -
    and you don't want to spend the time or money to properly fix/replace it -
    you could install a "manual-fill" kit -
    so you could inflate the rear shocks - manually -
    just like inflating a tire -

-----------------
    you have several choices to make -
    and CHEAPEST isn't always the most economical -

depending on what you NEED -
    the Monroe 90008 KIT includes everything for the front except new springs -

$204.44 with free shipping -
    http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-90008-S...ype=automotive

if the strut mounts - bearing plates - etc - are in good condition -
    you might only need the strut itself -

Monroe 801854 or 71854 can be had for around $65 each with shipping from
    rockauto.com -

$63.25 each with free shipping -
    http://www.partsgeek.com/53rchfv-cad...bly.html?fp=pp

or $66.84 each with shipping from Amazon -
    http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-71854-S...sxp_grid_i_0_0
    ---------------------------------

for the rear shocks -
    I would recommend Monroe 40046 -
    $106.47 each with free shipping -
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and the AK29 Manual Fill Kit - if the compressor is screwed up -
    around $10 -

I do know how the factory suspension works and I do know the difference between it and a passive setup....

I only plan to drive the car to work and home... I do not care if it self levels as it will never be hauling any more weight than a passenger or 2 on random occasion as long as I have it. With its only function serving as a 2nd vehicle that I pretty much got for free I don't see a need in throwing money at it to return it to full factory stock specs. Parts are wore out and without knowing how deep the faulty suspension problems go I have no reason to fix it all.

I am just looking for a simple solution to fit my needs

Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMidget
    I do know how the factory suspension works and I do know the difference between it and a passive setup....

I only plan to drive the car to work and home... I do not care if it self levels as it will never be hauling any more weight than a passenger or 2 on random occasion as long as I have it. With its only function serving as a 2nd vehicle that I pretty much got for free I don't see a need in throwing money at it to return it to full factory stock specs. Parts are wore out and without knowing how deep the faulty suspension problems go I have no reason to fix it all.

Apparently you don't know. Because both passive and active are air adjustable with electronic ride control. The difference is only active also use electronic sensors to control the stiffness or softness of the shock or strut. (nothing to do with air or leveling)So if you're wanting cheap, get the passive. For even cheaper, get the passive with manual air adjust.

That's what I'm saying I have only read about air shocks for the rear... be it oe type or manual fill either way... but when a plain passive non air shock option was mentioned I became interested because if they are cheaper than an air shock I might be able to get all 4 corners at once vs buying struts then rear shocks later on

Most of our driving is done in my wife's 06 mercury montego and I trade/sell vehicles so often I am just looking for a solid get it done solution without spending a lot on something I might not even have in a month

The spring assisted shocks are more expensive.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMidget View Post

----------------------------------
    Parts are wore out
    and without knowing how deep the faulty suspension problems go
    I have no reason to fix it all.

sound reasoning -

good luck

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Like MoistCabbage said you need the shocks with the air hookup. Any little load in the car will make it sag if you don't have them and your ride will be worse then it is now. Unless you want to change the rear springs at the same time to ones that don't require the air ones.

i'm sitting here about to order struts and have been searching thru options but have a quick question that searching didn't answer... some brands have a left/right specific but alot of others are just labeled as "front"

are cadillac struts side specific or are both struts identical?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.