Removing Fuses from '04 Caddy Fuse Holder
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Removing Fuses from '04 Caddy Fuse Holder in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Guys, We have an '04 Cadillac DeVille DHS. When leaving an appointment yesterday, I noticed that the SERVICE ENGINE SOON ...
    DevilleNut is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac DeVille DHS

Removing Fuses from '04 Caddy Fuse Holder

Guys,

We have an '04 Cadillac DeVille DHS. When leaving an appointment yesterday, I noticed that the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light was on. When I got home, I took out the procedure for pulling codes and I found a couple, but the one that made the most sense was the PCM code P0410. I looked it up and the definition of this code is "Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System". Following the link from this code took me to a section that stated that the most likely cause of this fault is water freezing in the pump or corrosion from water collecting in the pump. Either one causes the fuse to blow. Since it was almost 90 degrees yesterday, freezing most likely wasn't the problem, so I decided to check the fuse to see if it was blown.

I removed the cover over the fuse box and found the fuse. It's a 50 Amp, very large one. I tried to pull it out, but could not. So my question is, how do you get these large fuses out of the holder? There is a small fuze removal tool included in the fuse box, but it sure wasn't designed for this fuse! Is there some special technique (e.g., unlocking something) to removing these large fuses?

Also, I could try testing the fuse in circuit. Seems like with the ignition "on", I should be able to measure voltage on both sides of the fuse IF there is power going to the pump when the ignition is on but the engine is not running. But it seems like you wouldn't want the pump on unless the engine is running.

Also, when I removed the cover, there was a second plastic cover over the fuses. On the top it says, "REMOVE AND DISCARD THIS COVER FOR FUSE OR RELAY SERVICING". Why would you want to throw this away? And why are the numbers 1, 2, and 3 located next to the three large bolts holding down the fuse box?

Thanks for the help.

Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: Removing Fuses from '04 Caddy Fuse Holder

Quote Originally Posted by DevilleNut View Post
    ....I removed the cover over the fuse box and found the fuse. It's a 50 Amp, very large one. I tried to pull it out, but could not. So my question is, how do you get these large fuses out of the holder?
    I use small slip-joint pliers to grip the edges of the long dimension and gently rock back and forth while pulling up.
    Also, when I removed the cover, there was a second plastic cover over the fuses. On the top it says, "REMOVE AND DISCARD THIS COVER FOR FUSE OR RELAY SERVICING".
    I ignore that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.