Purge line "hollow Bolt"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Purge line "hollow Bolt" in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Alright guys, not trying to start any new threads on old news, but I've got two questions (I'm sure there's ...
    Goldencletus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 DeVille Concours, 2004 Nissan 350Z Roadster

Purge line "hollow Bolt"

Alright guys, not trying to start any new threads on old news, but I've got two questions (I'm sure there's a "sticky" or a "thread" on this somewhere, and in 8-10 hours of searching I'm sure I would find it!), on the 98 Concours, I took the beauty cover off to try and find this "hollow bolt" I've heard so much about. What I find is a soft rubber line leading to a multi bend, rigid line headed somewhere under a bunch of stuff that I didn't really don't want to remove. Do I need to remove said "stuff" to get to the infamous "hollow bolt"?

Second question, I just had the coolant system flushed and re-filled, they said that put the Dex coolant in as the replacement fluid. I just checked the coolant level in the surge tank as I've had border line over heating issues and found the level to be as it was after the flush. Upon closer inspection the fluid is very yellow, not green, not orange. Is this the correct "color" for Dex?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Purge line "hollow Bolt"

Just follow the purge line from the surge tank to the hollow bolt it is mounted to at the other end. Not sure what (if anything) has to be removed to get to it), but before you do that, pull the other end (cold engine) and stick it in the open surge tank. Start the engine. If you have coolant flow, all is well.

After a coolant change it is not uncommon for the system to take 2-3 runs before the system purges all the air and the coolant level stabilizes. Check it and top odd as necessary. Remember, the correct level is about 1/2 full.

Hard to tell what they put in there , but whatever it is will work just fine as long as you change it every 2-3 years.

P.S.
    The "hollow bolt" is where the U shaped hose is attached with the spring clip at the base of the lift strap.
    Attached Images

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

From my albums (Community tab ^^^, albums, the red Seville) ------------

If you still can't find it...........................quit looking.

Thanks, The solid tubing on mine after leaving the beauty cover heads under all of the throttle body "gear" and then returns to black hose just prior to the connection of the purge line nipple (a very different route than the photos attached, but at the end of the day, the nipple is in the same place). I didn't realize until after I saw your pics, that I had been looking at the "hollow Bolt" the entire time.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Some years/models have the surge tank on the passengers side, so the path is quite different. Also, your crossover/TB setup is different than the one in subs '00+ diagram.

Good evening gents,

The purge line is clear, tested the coolant with an old style bulb tester and it read good for -25 f and boiling point of 226 f. Today was really hot (105) and the coolant temp went to 232. Ranger said worry after 230, does anyone think it could be T-stat? Again, no fluid loss, just warm up hills, cools right back down after cresting hills?

My comment on the 230 degrees was a general statement. Considering you where operating in 105F ambient temps I think you have to cut the car a little slack. At 105F the cooling system does not have a lot to work with. It's being stressed and is operating close to it's limits.

That is hot, my thoughts were that the T-stat wasn't opening all the way or that perhaps the previous owner had put some of that "nuisance" leak goop in the cooling system and the circulation would be constricted either way. But as you said, it's working hard and the fact that it cools right back down leads me to believe that it's probably okay. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.