Buying a Used Newer Caddy---Advice Please.. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Buying a Used Newer Caddy---Advice Please.. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by pkared If you drive the 4.5L like grandma and the DTS like Mario you could get the ...
    MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by pkared
    If you drive the 4.5L like grandma and the DTS like Mario you could get the graphs to cross but what is the point? Day to day mile after mile the DTS will deliver better mileage...
    I won't list EPA numbers, as I don't know them, but I can tell you from real world experience, me driving (not gently). Having regularly driven a '97 SLS (VIN Y Northstar), an '01 STS (VIN 9 Northstar), and a '90 Seville (PFI 4.5, which produces MORE power than the OPs), that there is just about no fuel mileage difference between a VIN Y Northstar, and 4.5.

Superior reliability
    Her car has apparently been dealer maintained, it can't be THAT bad, and we're not even sure exactly what's wrong with it yet. She knows its maintenance history. A blanket statement that a mystery DTS, even a low mileage, well maintained one, will be more reliable, is false. It's a used car, it's a crapshoot.

durability
    The OPs generation of Deville are VERY "durable".

look damn good
    Subjective.

and will most likely never leave her at the side of the road.
    If maintained correctly, yes. Just like most used cars.

I think it's best that she stay safe and alive. She could do that in a Chevy, but If you've read her post, she appreciates Cadillacs she likes Cadillacs, and should leave this one while it's still a happy memory and not a threat to her safety and a constant drain on her resources. She isn't fixing it herself, you know. She doesn't know when it's going to cost her how much to run it. Know what the most stressful things in life are? The things you don't know. Does she love me, doesn't she? Am I being fired or are they going to keep me? Do I Need an extra $1000 next month for repairs on my car or can I go on vacation? If I drive my car to Florida will it leave me stranded and poor? Who can I get a ride back from, I spent my last dime trying to fix it. That's why you get the reliable car-peace of mind.

Lets see, which car would she rather drive and maintain-bet that's a tuff one-She went and drove the DTS didn't she?
    ...Ok. As I posted, even if her car needs some major work, even if she wanted to "refresh" it mechanically (brakes, shocks/struts, fluids, battery, fuel pump, ignition parts.....), it would likely cost a good deal less than the purchase price of a low mileage, well maintained '06+ DTS, and may very well be just as reliable. My low mileage, one elderly owner, dealer serviced STS, needed more in the first year of ownership, than my mothers '90 Seville did for the entire time she owned it, even though it was twice the age.

In my OPINION, if she really does like the '88, it's worth saving, and isn't necessarily going to be a money pit. The key to owning one of these cars, new or old, is either doing the work yourself, or finding a good, independent shop.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: Buying a Used Newer Caddy---Advice Please..

Could someone tell me what a "coolant pan" is? It doesn't sound that expensive. An 88 with 120k miles has a lot of life left in it.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

That's what I drain coolant into when I change it.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

A "coolant pan" is a $1.98 thingy from K-Mart - usually called a dishpan.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Uh oh. I think we skeered her off....

I was just thinking that.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    A "coolant pan" is a $1.98 thingy from K-Mart - usually called a dishpan.
    The OP says the dealer wants several thousand dollars for the "coolant pan" and she should junk the car. Before I call them stoopid idiots I was wondering if there was some new terminology that I wasn't aware of. Nothing in the entire cooling system costs over $200. Maybe they finally got tired of fixing this car even though she sounds like a loyal customer.

Nah, no dealer will turn away a several thousand dollar repair. I suspect there is something lost in translation somewhere.

Goldencletus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 DeVille Concours, 2004 Nissan 350Z Roadster

The original post read like one of those Craig's List ads where the car is super cheap, going through a divorce and the car's in Timbucktwo but miraculously, the shipping has already been paid for, all you have to do is send money via Western Union...

Eva14 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Sedan DeVille

Question Has Anyone Replaced the Engine in a late'80s--early '90s DeVille?

My Caddy repairshop just called and informed me that there is a serious problem with the engine of my 1988 Sedan DeVille. The entire engine would need to be replaced, which would run anywhere from 8-10 thousand dollars.

The pros are: If I relace the engine, it will be under a 3-year warranty. Also, even 10 thousand dollars is less than a more recent model DeVille or DTS. (I can't afford a new Caddy, so that's not an option).

The cons are: Investing a lot of money into a 25-year old vehicle. (I have 120,000 miles on it). Has anyone here replaced the engine on a DeVille of this era? Did it last for a long time thereafter?

My yellow 1988 Deville is well-maintained both inside and outside. I often get offers from people on the street or road who ask if I'm interested in selling it. It's an absolutely beautiful car, and yes, I am very attached to it emotionally. I bought it new and it's the only car I've ever owned.

The salesman and repairmen at my Caddy dealership are true professionals. (I cannot say the same about their used car division's staff).

My long-time Caddy service manager tells me that they replace engines in old cars all the time, and he definitely thinks that the engine can be replaced. I really trust his advice, and asked him what he suggests I do. He said if I could afford a new Caddy, it's probably time for a replacement. But since he knows I can't afford a new Caddy, he suggested that I repair the 1988 one, because it is a very well-maintained car. And I guess 120,000 miles isn't that high for a 25-year-old car.

I asked looked into buying a used DTS. The used car division had a 2007 DTS with 75,000 miles on it that they were selling for $17,000. With tax, license, and warranty, that would come to a total of about $20,000.

My trusted Caddy consultant warned me that you never really know what you're getting with a used car. I appreciated his honesty, because at the USED car division the salesman promises perfection and seems to be very pushy and aggressive. The used car guy wasn't even willing to have ANY vehicle that I may find on the Internet transported to his dealership. I didn't appreciate the total lack of assistance, nor the poor selection (only 2 DTS's on his lot), nor the talking down to that I received from him.

I may not know very much about cars, but I did graduate college with highest honors. I really felt like the used car guy was insulting my intelligence by simply saying, "Look---luxury, beautiful color, what more could you want?" He could have at least tried going over the technical aspects, because I'm certainly capable of learning just about anything. He seemed to be in a hurry to sell whatever cars he happened to have on his lot, while he outright refused to have a car transported from another dealership----even another GM dealership! They've got to get their cars from somewhere. I really do NOT like having only TWO choices, when the Internet offers thousands of options. He made some lame excuse: "You can't trust anything on the Internet". But IF an online vehicle is "certified", I know that's a good sign.

I just wondered if anyone has replaced their engine on a late 80's or early 90's Deville and how it worked out? Also, does anyone know if other used car dealers ARE willing to have a vehicle from elsewhere transported and checked out?

Thanks so much for any advice!

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    U like big cars? Why not look at a cts? More compact, slightly better city mileage. Easier to park. 05-06 are modestly priced.

The Donald is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville delagance

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    I wouldn't condemn it just yet. Her car only has 120K, and one of Cadillacs' most reliable engines. Mechanical parts are still readily available, and reletively inexpensive compared to parts for the newer, more advanced models.

Actually, her car is ~300 pounds lighter.

Her car has an OLM and (less advanced) OBD. Gas mileage is very similar, and the 4.X engines don't need oil changes any sooner than a new Northstar. Also, Northstars consume oil by design, so she would have to add between changes.

Even if her car needs MAJOR work, it's not going to cost what a newer DTS costs.

I think it all comes down to which car she'd rather drive and maintain.
    Moist cabbage..... Are you high ??? Most reliable engine ???

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The old 4.5 was a pretty decent engine.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Has Anyone Replaced the Engine in a late'80s--early '90s DeVille?

8-10k is really high. On a car that old, I'd look for a junkyard motor in decent shape with a warranty. Have it installed and be on your way for 1/4 of your quoted price. Remember, you could put 10k in it today, and get t-boned in an intersection tomorrow - and your money would instantly vanish as the car is still only worth 2k at best. Minimize your risk, go with a small used engine.

Please do not start new threads on the same subject. Most of your questions have been answered in your first thread.
    Threads merged

No. That car is not worth dumping $8 - $10K into. Put that money towards a newer car or have a shop (other than the dealer) install a used engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.