Speaker crackling, BCM issues? , and the c in the fuel display and climate control.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Speaker crackling, BCM issues? , and the c in the fuel display and climate control. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Im working on my 89 Sedan DeVille, ive searched around and found some info on the bcm and the c ...
    5m0k3y is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille

Speaker crackling, BCM issues? , and the c in the fuel display and climate control.

Im working on my 89 Sedan DeVille, ive searched around and found some info on the bcm and the c in the info center displays.

I tear things apart and remove the bcm, pull out the eprom(?) and check to see if any contacts are corroded, put all back together and when I turned on the car the ecc display starts to work and I hear lots of relays clicking off and on and as this all happens the display starts flickering between the c and the temp, moving the wiring starts the flurry of activity again for a few seconds and then the displays go back to c.

Both passenger side speakers barely work and have a hissing/crackling coming from them unless the radio is off. When the dash displays began to work the noise stopped, as they quit again the noise returned.
    The radio is just am/fm/cassette, no bose.
    No aftermarket anything installed.

I really don't want to spend the money on a new bcm unless I know that's what it is for sure, and with daytime temps in the mid 90's with ridiculous humidity I don't really want to drive the vehicle unless the ac is operational, which many of you know it isn't with the little c in the electronic climate control display.

Any ideas? Would the bcm have worked for a few seconds and died again if it was bad or is it completely out when it malfunctions and I should start looking elsewhere.

Battery drains in 3 days if not disconnected or driven.

I rearranged several of the relays to check their operation, all seem to work. All fuses test good.

Im not so sure the air leveling system is working any more either.

Any ideas & suggestions will help, I would love to get this thing back on the road.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: Speaker crackling, BCM issues? , and the c in the fuel display and climate contro

It sounds like the BCM to me. I usually recommend Deville owners buy a spare one anyway because you will need it sooner or later.

Re: Speaker crackling, BCM issues? , and the c in the fuel display and climate contro

bcm1.jpg
    heres our bcm topless

bcm2.jpg
    Here is the problem, I found it wasnt making contact by pressing down on it, I checked continuity between each pin and the board and found some that have separated, after re-soldering it still did not work unless I again applied pressure to the top of the chip. I think there is some internal separation, looks like I will be replacing it. Local parts house has them in stock for $70.

As soon as I pressed down on the chip everything came on on the displays and the blower and radiator fans shut off. Hopefully this can help someone else who may be questioning their bcm. The chip can be pressed on with just the access cover for the eprom removed. At least im now positive that its only the bcm causing the issues. I seriously considered hillbilly fixing it to see how long it would last by putting a peice of dowell under the access door that would apply pressure to the chip, but its already out and I would rather drive the car and be done with it rather than use it as my latest experiment.

Now to address my constant rattling/thumping I can feel in the floor pan while driving, I think I have it narrowed down to the passenger side strut. The car already has new brakes/rotors/hubs, and the cv shafts were inspected when replacing the hubs. It feels like something slapping the floorboard under the throttle and brake pedals, but ive found that about anything moving or making contact in the front end can feel like that.

Struts are next unless anyone has suggestions on what else may be wrong.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.