Engine swap 95 Deville 4.9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Engine swap 95 Deville 4.9 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; What engine is compatible to do a swap and get rid of the 299 I got and go to sum ...
    Xbarksdale is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 sedan deville 4.9 lt

Engine swap 95 Deville 4.9

What engine is compatible to do a swap and get rid of the 299 I got and go to sum bigger with more hp or are there any actual bolt on parts to up horses and and wat about a cam and headers/exhaust

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    2 possible "bolt in" engines for your car. Another 4.9, or, if you want to replace most of the electrical system, fuel delivery system, cooling system, and exhaust system, a Northstar. There are NO performance parts available for either engine, NONE.

Easiest/cheapest/fastest thing to do would be to buy a '96+ Concours.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Cadi engine swap 95 deville 4.9

You need to answer two questions.

1. How fast do you want to go?

2. How much money do you have?

Genius I asked if there any other engine besides those two and I'm wanting at most 400 hp and I'm auto student

----------

And I kno u can do preformance upgrades or the Pontiac fieros wouldn't b turboed

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

You are on the wrong board. This site is mostly limited to maintenance and repair on factory stock vehicles. There's a generous amount of info about swaps, modification, tuning, and overall compatibility across MANY GM fwd drivetrains over at http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/Ul...i?action=intro

^^That site will probably be one of your best sources of GM fwd drivetrain info on the internet. Yes, it's a Fiero site, but much of the drivetrain info isn't necessarily specific to the Fiero application.

Keep in mind that there are no readily available bolt-on mods available for either engine - the turbo'd 4.9 and N* Fiero examples are completely homemade by their owners. No plug-and-play kits available.

You can use any engine you want if you are a decent fabricator. The N* and 4.9 are the only two that will physically bolt in with relative ease. A choice outside of those two will depend on your skill level - completely up to you. You can do anything from 4 banger gas to a 12 cylinder deisel if you are good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Xbarksdale
    Genius I asked if there any other engine besides those two and I'm wanting at most 400 hp and I'm auto student
    ...No, you asked which other engines were compatible, or if there were bolt on performance parts. You mentioned nothing about how much power you were looking for, you only said more than what you have.

Watch the attitude.

----------

And I kno u can do preformance upgrades or the Pontiac fieros wouldn't b turboed
    Being an auto student, you realize that powertrains are very much integrated into the rest of a modern vehicles electronic systems. Getting any engine to run outside of the car it was designed to be used in, "only" takes some stand alone engine management. Getting mods or different powertrains to work in a vehicle they were not designed for, is a whole different story.

Drew, he's on the right forum, he has the wrong car.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by Xbarksdale View Post

----------

----------------------------
    well - it sounds like you already have all the answers -

good luck - and be sure to keep us posted -

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Engine swap 95 Deville 4.9

As posted several times, for the FWD 1995 (OBD-1) Deville you're stuck with the 4.9, pretty much as-is. Using the Cadillac drivetrain controls and transmission even the swap to a Northstar would be extremely difficult.

.......... and, for the FWD configuration there are NO forced induction options........... well, yes there is one: there's a Seville with turbocharger, not a daily driver - a custom one-off that ran about $17,000 after all was said and done.

There is a Deville (it goes on sale once every 6 months) that was converted to RWD with a ?? 572 ??. Lowest price so far has been $65,000 and most of the car and drivetrain electrical and electronic features do not work.

You (we) have the wrong car for power modifications and engine swaps. A Fiero modification applies in no way to a FWD Deville 4.9. My usual take on the Deville modification idea is "Use the stock Deville to tow the tricked-out Camaro to the track !"

If you want to call someone "genius" I suggest you use the proper context - insults will earn you a vacation from the forums.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post

Drew, he's on the right forum, he has the wrong car.
    I said that in the context of engine mods. Lot's of successfully boosted 4.9 and N* engines in the Fiero community - and lots of other high hp FWD drivetrains to read about.

YEP ^^^

We all drool occasionally and go through the CHRFAB website. Or look at one of Speedygman's Northstars in a '32 Bucket.

.............. but not in a FWD Deville/Seville/Eldorado. (But, you sure could do some magic to a FWD 455 Toronado.)

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville
    I said that in the context of engine mods. Lot's of successfully boosted 4.9 and N* engines in the Fiero community - and lots of other high hp FWD drivetrains to read about.
    Yes, I know. I was being sarcastic.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Well the quickest answers are there's no other engine that's compatible. And there's not much you can do with a 4.9. The best Caddies to mod are the RWD ones.

The N*(4.6) and my 4.9 and whelp looks like I'm bout to experiment a bit see if I can do the heads bigger valves bore it out and a cam and thanks for the fiero link ill look cuz if there a will there has to b a way I mean the 4.9 is a gm 299 inch block so y couldn't I drop a 327 or 350 in there

"y" ??? ................Because ................ they won't work

You might want to read the engine swap and compatibility sticky in Engines, Northstar Performance to get some foggy idea of why the 327/350 question is out the window.

Also, Google "comp cams cadillac 4.9 engine cam" and see what comes up............ and look for different final drive ratios for your transmission.

Stop texting and speak English.......... and no one cares one whit if you are an auto student, neurosurgeon or rocket scientist - we're all in here to pass around questions and advice - and you're fortunate enough to have received 100% good advice - so far.

EDIT: I see that you have been given a breather - Please use your slack time to browse the site and pick up some additional knowledge. There is literally so much stored in these pages that it will take you years to catch up on it all............ and that's only for the 4.9 !

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Watch the attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    insults will earn you a vacation from the forums.
    Vacation earned and given.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.