1986 DeVille Shift Lever
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1986 DeVille Shift Lever in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Went to leave for dinner and the shift lever while pulling in to gear was loose and grabbed no gears. ...
    sk834deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 & 88 DeVille

Question 1986 DeVille Shift Lever

Went to leave for dinner and the shift lever while pulling in to gear was loose and grabbed no gears.
    Is there a common "linkage" issue maybe ?

I've had 4 DeVilles 1985 - 88 and never come across this problem.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    No, nothing common, but sure sounds like a linkage (cable) problem.

I would check that the cable end is still attached at the transmission.

aeronca36606 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1985 Coupe Deville 4.1 & 1970 Eldorado 8.2

Re: 1986 DeVille Shift Lever

Check the connection at the base of the steering column right at the carpet. The cable attaches there. Also check the cable on the transmission which can be seen on the drivers side of the car down low in the engine compartment. Also check the nut on the linkage on the transmission for being loose. I have has this nut loosten up and the shifter gets real sloppy before it quits shifting into gear all together. Should be an easy fix to make and find.

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca36606 View Post
    Check the connection at the base of the steering column right at the carpet. The cable attaches there. Also check the cable on the transmission which can be seen on the drivers side of the car down low in the engine compartment. Also check the nut on the linkage on the transmission for being loose. I have has this nut loosten up and the shifter gets real sloppy before it quits shifting into gear all together. Should be an easy fix to make and find.
    Thanks for the feed back people.

Well the wife had it towed to the shop before I could look at the connect points.
    Shop called me and said the cable was "broken" which by the picture I saw at dealer would be a hard cable to break.
    They want $120 for a new cable (havent found a dealer cable that high even) of which $60 seems to be the going rate, and $75 install, plus $100 tow charge of 4 blocks.
    I think I'm being doubled up on the tow & cable cost ( had it towed a wk ago with bad strut mount for $55).

Told the guy to make sure the "broken" cable was in the pkg of the new one to justify the part was bad and not just a disconnect.

Update of my shift cable issue;

Through some research and curiosity of the shops story told to me related to a broken shift cable, I stoped by thr shop at closing.
    There was nobody to be found but I saw my car parked in the back. Shop was closed and keys left in my ignition.
    I opened the hood to see this "broken" cable I was told about being the issue. The cable end is of a ball joint type connection that snaps on to a round head type pin through the eyelet of the cable. Top of this ball point looks like boldt head.

The cable was simply disconnected from what I could see. I snapped it back on and started the car only to find the transmission linkage worked fine. Worked the gears up and down a few times with no issue at all.
    Tow company told me they manually moved the linkage in to -N- to get it towed. ( they didnt know why it was being towed but the driver told me the cable was already disconnected when he arrived). which obviously happened when I tried to reverse it to eat the night before.

The shop ordered me a $100 cable, $75 labor, and $100 tow charge supposedly from the tow service.
    Tow service said it was $60 billed, I have no "broken cable, and the work will not be done as scheduled tomorrow. I drove the car home and will find a cheap bolt cure to the connection point. It looks as if the eyelet was intentionally damaged inside to fit loosely on the ball snap/joint and to order a needless new cable at 150% mark up, plus a 60% upcharge on the tow billed them.

There are still far to many crooked operations out there. I was almost out $300 for a $2 boldt/pin fix.
    Not to mention a customers key's in the ignition on top of the b s . Tomorrow morning should be very interesting to say the least.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    PLEASE post the conversation after you talk to them.

I'd wait for them to call you, and ask if you took your car. "I figured I would before someone noticed the key in the ignition", would be one option for a passive aggressive answer...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.