Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R-12 Recharge

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: R-12 Recharge

Hehe, hind sight is always 20/20. I did learn a lesson though and stocked up on R134a while it was cheaper (er).

Considering it hasn't been touched it in at least 10 years I would that's probably all it needs and it doesn't owe you anything. The problem won't be so much finding a shop that CAN do it as much as finding one WITH R12.

STS_Seville_Hunter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville
    I had no problem recharging a r12 system, two shops where I live do it, cost was $200. Call around.

aeronca36606 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Coupe Deville 4.1 V8 & 4.3 V6 Deisel & 1970 Eldorado

If the compressor has been tripped off by the BCM then you probably have almost no Freon left. Make sure that you do a comprehensive leak check before you waist expensive R-12. Once all leaks are addressed then an R-12 charge will be relatively in expensive as it will last for years.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

I've never heard of the mysterious escaping freon theory. I find that hard to believe, considering how many homes out there have perfectly working refrigerators that are well over a decade old - many times half century old freezers in the basement holding last season's game meat. That said, dad's 215k mile '89 still holds the factory R-12 charge, and I've never had another system leak down over time after proper repair... I concur with the above post- if it's empty, there's a leak that needs repair or it will do it again. Find the leak, then recharge.

13ir14314 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1967 Eldorado
    Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    I've never heard of the mysterious escaping freon theory. I find that hard to believe, considering how many homes out there have perfectly working refrigerators that are well over a decade old - many times half century old freezers in the basement holding last season's game meat. That said, dad's 215k mile '89 still holds the factory R-12 charge, and I've never had another system leak down over time after proper repair... I concur with the above post- if it's empty, there's a leak that needs repair or it will do it again. Find the leak, then recharge.
    If the A/C in a car was made the same way as home appliances there would be far fewer leaks. The home units are sealed with O- rings and bolts they get crimped then welded or soldered making it almost impossible for leaks.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
    Automotive systems do use O rings, crimps, and welded/blazed parts. The components in an automotive A/C system have it MUCH tougher than a home system, in terms of movement/vibration, and heat.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I do know a guy that once used an old piston type car compressor to run a home A/C system.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Automotive systems do use O rings, crimps, and welded/blazed parts. The components in an automotive A/C system have it MUCH tougher than a home system, in terms of movement/vibration, and heat.
    They sure do, which is why failure rate is much higher. However, the point is, auto or not, a leak is abnormal - if it wasn't, aftermarket component warranties would be pointless and manufacturers would exclude AC from their warranties. A properly working system will never need a charge. Some people will live with a small leak, but it's never normal...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12