2001 Deville - Check Gas Cap message
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2001 Deville - Check Gas Cap message in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, I was driving my car this morning, an 01' Deville and on my DIC it gave me the message ...
    Dave NYC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

2001 Deville - Check Gas Cap message

Hi,

I was driving my car this morning, an 01' Deville and on my DIC it gave me the message "Check Gas Cap." But, the SES light did not pop on. So, the first thing I did is tighten the gas cap. I normally get my gas in New Jersey as it's much cheaper than New York City. Jersey law prohibits to fill your own tank. So, it is always a gas jockey pumping the gas and putting your cap back on. I did notice that my cap did not seem to be flush. So, I took it off and put it back in and made sure it clicked a few times. The SES light is not on and I get the message "Check Gas Cap" when I start my car. I used my OBD II scanner and I did have the P0440 code. But, still no SES light, just the message "Check Gas Cap." This happened this morning. So, perhaps it will simply take time for the system to reset itself.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why there is no SES light, the DIC says "Check Gas Cap"?

Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

This is the Eldorado/Seville forum, and I see you've also posted in the Catera forums. Questions regarding your Deville belong in the FWD Deville/Fleetwood forum. Please don't multi post. I also see you've been here since '07. haven't read the sticky on pulling DTCs through your DIC yet?

That code points to a leak in the EVAP system. A loose gas cap is a common cause, but there are multiple possible leak points. You might find more specific information by typing Deville and the code into the search bar.

Re: Code Help P0440

Thanks for ALL of your help. I will try to take your advice for next time. Wow 12,647 posts. You have a lot of time on your hands for a 25 year old. Take care.......

By thew way, it's easier to use my OBD II to pull codes. Thanks again.......

Also, being the SES light is not on and I simply have the message to "Check Gas Cap" on my DIC. I'm thinking it's just the cap. Figures crossed.

PS, I inadvertently posted the above message twice in two different sections, I came across these threads via google search. So, I just wanted to cover all bases.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave NYC
    Wow 12,647 posts. You have a lot of time on your hands for a 25 year old.
    Is that all? Must be having a slow week .

, being the SES light is not on and I simply have the message to "Check Gas Cap" on my DIC. I'm thinking it's just the cap. Figures crossed.
    The system can't discriminate where the leak is, only that there is one.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Give it a day or two. It might take a couple of ignition cycles to clear itself.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

He sent me a PM and I advised him to do a check for a rusted out fill pipe, plus the usual hose/solenoid checks.

Started his own thread for him.

Re: 2001 Deville - Check Gas Cap message

PM'd me as well, but I didn't think about the fill pipe. Good thought, though I can recall hearing much about rusted fill pipes on post 2000 car. That said, they ARE coming due (if they are as vulnerable).

Thanks again. I didn't mean to over do it on the subject...lol But, these are good tips for everyone. Being it was filled by a gas jocky and I drove it home, the next time I used the car was when I got that DIC message. So, when I checked my cap, it didn't feel flush (perhaps it was). So, I put it back on tight. As Ranger started, it might take a few start cycles for the DIC message to vanish (it goes away when I hit reset on the DIC...but, comes back on when I restart). I've only driven it a few miles since I got the message.

But, it's good to know the other possible causes. Thanks again

@MoistCabbage, slow week huh?

One more question, how do you remove the lanyard that prevents you from losing the gas cap, so I can exchange the old cap for a new one (that is, if its indeed I new a new cap)? Ty.

Never tried to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Give it a day or two. It might take a couple of ignition cycles to clear itself.
    Ranger, you were right (thank God). The message on my DIC to "Check Gas Cap" vanished (after a couple days) and I'm code free (knock on wood). I'm thinking because I just had the gas cap message on my DIC and my SES light never popped on, it was not serious. Otherwise the SES light would have lit up. (I'm a worry wort when it comes to anything that might cost extra $$$).

Thank you to everyone that gave advice.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.