2002 base Deville shaking while driving.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2002 base Deville shaking while driving. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Before anyone says my tires are out of balance, they are not. I purchased a set of Bridgestone Turanza serenity ...
    pauldimler93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadilac Deville

2002 base Deville shaking while driving.

Before anyone says my tires are out of balance, they are not.
    I purchased a set of Bridgestone Turanza serenity plus from Tire Rack about two months ago because I was in need of new tires. Granted the last 3-4k miles of my last set of tires I neglacted to get them balanced and aligned (Didnt want to dish out $100 bucks) and I just drove around for another two months.

Now I receive the tires in the mail and Im super happy, thinking my deville is going to drive like a caddy again , but I was wrong! That night before I get my new tires mounted, I was in need of an oil change, so I crawl under the car and noticed the passenger CV axel boot has torn, The next day I run up to advanced auto parts and get a replacement "Tough One" cv axle (Now I know I should have used an AC Delco, And I am kicking myself in the ass and its bugging me that I didnt, So I will change it out)

Next day I go and get the tires Mounted and road force balanced, To my surprise, I have a bad tire was showing 26 lbs on the road force (tire rack quickly exchanged it for me) and reimbursed me for mounting + balance. Now after the new tire, The mechanic says everything looks good, everything passes on the roadforce and he nor anyone else noticed anything wrong with the tires. I take the car for a spin and the car is shaking at speed, its not a set speed and its more noticable at a higher speed 60+. He suggested I replaced my wheel hubs since there was slight play in the front, So I did that I went with Moog wheel hubs(I heard they were great company, and me and my dad also replaced his whole front end with Moog on his 01' F150) with no problems whats so ever.

Now after all that, the car is shaking, and my dream of this deville riding like a caddy again is quickly diminishing, me nor my mechanic can quite spot the problem. If anyone else had this problem, please shed some light on this

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    So, with tire rack shipping charges, how much did you really save vs buying the same tires from local shop? Most shops will work with you on new tires cuz they like your business. But u saved a lot by going with tire rack. And tires are fine. Must be some other suspension issue?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 2002 base Deville shaking while driving.

Look in Cadillac Tech Tips for the common cures for the FWD Seville/Deville series 60 mph shake - the "Cadillac Shimmy". It has been beaten to death for years.

The GM/Cadillac service manual cautions a servicing tech to drive the car at least 10 miles before beginning vibration diagnosis. Tires DO flat-spot.

Balance is one thing, runout and out-of-round are another. All tires are NOT "round" and are one big shake (tramp) factor. Absolute cleanliness of the hub, rotor, and wheel mounting surfaces is paramount. The wheel lug nuts must be torqued sequentially in a star pattern to 100 lb/ft. Wheels are subject to runout and bent rims.

You might try to Google "cadilac forums 2002 deville front end shake" or something similar, always preceded by "cadillac forums ........."

........ and, contrary to your statement, never discount wheel balance problems.

I paid $500 for the tires, $60 for shipping and they shipped fast, I had in 2 days, plus a $70 mail in rebate that took a month. Bad thing with tire rack vs a tire shop you have to wait on shipping, a tire shop will swap tires out right then and there but you also pay more through a tire shop. I also noticed today when steering left the shaking calms down a lot.

Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    Sounds to me like their balancer needs calibrated, or one or more of your tire has excessive out of roundness.

I went too two different tire shop both road force balanced, so I'm sure that's not the problem. Today I noticed that while changing lanes it seemed to stop shaking.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Are you absolutely sure you do not have an out of round or otherwise deficient tire?

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    You replaced the hubs, any other play in the front end/steering?
    I will assume you have rotated the tires front to back to see if it helps also.

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    You replaced the hubs, any other play in the front end/steering?
    I will assume you have rotated the tires front to back to see if it helps also.
    Yes I have rotated the tire (well I watched my mechanic since I was paying him) I can't determine if it actually helped, if it did it was very subtle. But what I did notice the other day, While turning A little harder than usual, The vibration seems to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Are you absolutely sure you do not have an out of round or otherwise deficient tire?
    Im pretty sure, It one of those "Tires are never completely round" issues but I have tire rack sending me two more tires just to swap out. Im still leaning on the POS cheap cv axle I put in, but I will find out soon

Do you have a torque wrench and a deepwell 3/4" socket ??? If so, slack off each lug nut (Does your car have the phony lug nut covers ?) and re-torque it to 100 lb/ft, criscrossing in a star pattern. (Cadillac specs, NOT impact gun specs.)

Ive never had an issue with the lug night being torqued too much or not enough, I just use a 4 way lug wrench and never had a problem until I got new tires. But I will use a torque bar on them tomorrow and see if it works.

One of the causes of the FWD Cadillac "shimmy" at speed is runout of the hub, rotor, or wheel caused by either dirt/rust on the mating surfaces or improper lug nut torque. Post #3.

Proper lug nut torque - on any car - is a basic finishing step in vibration diagnosis.

The GM service manual devotes an entire chapter to vehicle vibration diagnosis, so GM knew these drivetrains would be sensitive to little faults.

............ and, as Ranger and Caddy-EaRL posted, all tires are NOT round.

I torqued all 20 lug nuts two 100 ft-lbs and did not notice any difference, I will have two tires replaced tomorrow and see if it changes anything.

Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    It is possible your new axle is slightly bent. It doesnt seem to happen all to often, but I have seen new ones that were bent. (Test drive to listen for a clicking noise, hear the noise, and then upon replacement, noise is gone but now there's a vibration)

I don't think the axle is damaged I hear no noises from it,but I DO think it is causing the problems since its a cheap-o-depo, will have to purchase an ac delco axle if these new tires don't make a difference.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.