1999 Deville Trunk Lid Opening
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1999 Deville Trunk Lid Opening in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, I have been struggling to find an answer to this weird problem on my 1999 Deville. A couple of ...
    Paula1999 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville

1999 Deville Trunk Lid Opening

Hello, I have been struggling to find an answer to this weird problem on my 1999 Deville. A couple of minutes after using the car you can open any door and the trunk lid will pop open; if you use the key remote to unlock the doors the trunk also pops open. If you wait 10 minutes after closing the door on the car the trunk will pop open on it's own. The trunk opening mechanism continues to click at random intervals after the 10 minutes. The amp also appears to be running and you can hear a hissing sound from the speakers. The radio is stock and the wiring has never been messed with. The trunk lid never pops open when the car is being driven. We have been using the valet button to keep the trunk closed.

Disconnecting the comfort fuse (which is fine) is the only way we have stopped the trunk from opening (it also stopped the buzz in the speakers). Pulling the trunk relay also stops the trunk opening.

I have tried the following to stop the trunk from randomly opening with no results:
    disconnected the car battery, had it charged and tested at a local auto parts store - it tested fine.
    pulled batteries out of both key remotes
    pulled pzm fuse
    pulled inadvert power relay
    pulled accessory relay under the hood
    pulled rap relay
    checked most of the fuses
    pulled any relays that clicked (aside from pulling the trunk relay and comfort fuse the trunk still pops open)
    disconnected the pzm (this stops everything ie trunk lid, radio etc)
    any relays that I have suspected of being bad I have pulled and replaced with a different relay and nothing changes.
    I have cleared the codes and driven the car roughly 20 miles. The car runs fine and I currently show the following codes B1552, B2473 and B477.
    If someone has an idea I am happy to try anything at this point.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 1999 Deville Trunk Lid Opening

Help us help you and always post the code definitions along with the code. No one has them memorized. See the DTC Sticky if you need help.

The codes are:
    B1552 Keep alive memory KAM error
    B2473 High beam fault
    B2477 Reverse lamp relay shorted to ground
    They are all followed by the word HISTORY. All these codes came up after I unplugged the PZM.
    Thanks.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

what's the battery voltage with the key on, engine off?

keep it like that for about 10 minutes and come back and see what the voltage says then
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Think I would check the grounds behind the seat and in the trunk. The PZM uses grounds to turn stuff on/off. Very well may be bad pzm I suppose, but probably an wiring problem.

Thanks for the responses. I checked the battery voltage as suggested. It initially read 12.7 and 10 mins later with the radio on it read 12.4.
    I also removed the back seat and cleaned the 2 grounds. No change. This was a garaged and rarely driven car that a family member owner previously. We have had it less than a year and are learning as we go. I typically service and repair my own cars but this one has me baffled.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yeah i'm leaning more towards a bad pzm or release switch or something like that
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I'd suspect the switch first.

I put a volt meter between the black and white wire and the ground on the trunk switch. It read 8-9 volts when pushing the trunk open button on the remote. THinking back to my list of original attempts at finding the problem - after a few minutes of the car sitting and then opening a door a jolt of 3-4 volts go to the trunk switch. I disconnected the switch completely and disconnected the black and white wire and put a volt meter on it - I let the car sit a few minutes, opened the door and the voltage on the switch showed 3-4. If you don't let the car sit and rest the switch shows no voltage when you use the key remote or open a door. Is it likely to still be the switch with these voltage readings? Could there be a relay that I have not located causing this - Possibly a relay that resets after a few minutes? Hope this is not getting too convoluted. Thanks for your thoughts -

Update: I just replaced the pzm. No change - trunk lid still popped on own after 10 mins.

Leave the switch disconnected for a few days. That should rule out or condemn the switch.

Try cleaning grounds in the trunk also, 2 or 3 back there also. Popping after ten minutes is definitely related to PZM as it cuts the power after ten minutes. Thats's why it stopped when you unhooked it. To me it sounds like a bad PZM if the grounds aren't bad. There are several part numbers you can use, some of the earlier one's had annoying issues. They are plug and play.

I have replaced the pzm with no change. The trunk still opens after 10 mins. I also picked up a bunch of relays. I have switched out any relay that clicks to try to locate a bad one. No changes. I have had the carpet out of the trunk and I haven't seen any ground wires. If you know where they are located in the trunk please let me know. I have cleaned 4 grounds that I could find - 2 in the front near the battery and 2 under the back seat. I am willing to try any and everything. I've read posts about a possible bad drivers door switch. Do you know anything about the door switch that could be causing this problem. Thanks for all the suggestions. Scratching my head over this one.

trunk ground drivers side behind plastic panel at rear of trunk. it is just past the carpeting side panel down low below wiring that runs across back of trunk. May be others but it started raining so I bailed.
    2 grounds under back seat and 1 on X brace behind the seat passenger side about in the middle.
    There are others in frt kick panels passenger side and prob drivers side(have not cleaned drivers side myself or looked at drivers side grounds).
    I cannot think of any reason window switch would affect the trunk, since nothing related goes through it. You could unplug the switch and check easy enough.
    You said you replaced the relay under the drivers sill plate already? it's the backup to RAP relay basically in case it fails so car still has power.

Thanks for the info on the grounds. I checked all the grounds you listed and they were all good. I cleaned them all one at a time and tested the trunk opening after each one. No change. I'm not sure what the drivers sill plate is? Can you tell me where it is?

Took a guess and found the sill plate and pulled the relay. I'll let you know if it works. I replaced the relay with a different one. Waiting 10 mins.

No such luck - Trunk Popped on its own after 10 mins. ??????????????????????????

Are you getting any codes current now?

I have no idea why but when voltage low and you start these pigs the trunk will open. Also I shorted a wire out working under the dash and same.
    Something about wiring and when either grd or power interrupted the relay for trunk is energized(actual grounded). Since everything has positive voltage all the time it gets hard to track down issues.
    I suppose you could check the maxi fuses and relays under the hood also for corrosion, anything that has power for ten mintues controlled by PZM. Cigarette lighter comes to mind right off.
    There are a lot of grounds you can check, back of engine top of trans, kick panels. Since the Rap/BCM is cutting all ppower it is possible something else having power cut is actually the issue and has zero to do with trunk release, it's just a symptom. If you have a FSM it will tell you everything that has power for 10 mins and could help narrow it down.
    Definitley a head scratcher...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.