Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Need advise FAST - War with Caddy dealership over halfcase reseal

6K views 44 replies 12 participants last post by  SUPER LAC DEVILLE 
#1 ·
I have a 99 Deville Concours with 90,000 miles. Three weeks ago, I had the local Cadillac dealership fix the dreaded half case seal oil leak. They fixed that, then I get a call and they say I have a coolant leak. Knowing that these engines run on the warm side, I said yeah go ahead an fix that, as I did not want and head gaskets failure issues and overheating which the car NEVER has. The fixed the supposed coolant leak, installed a new water pump (pre-caution) a new thermostat, hoses and seals. Total bill....$4,600!!

Now 3 weeks later this past Monday, I was sitting in the drive-thru, it was a warm 90 degree day, had the A/C on and I heard a "ding" I looked and the DIC said "Engine Hot - A/C is Off" I looked at the temp gauge (being that I have analog gauges) and it was on the edge of the red line for overheating. I started driving and it went back down to mid-range which is normal. I drove straight to the Caddy dealer and the overheat message was still on there and they seen it.

I get a call yesterday and they say the engine got so hot, it blew the head gaskets and may have warped the heads, and they recommend another engine.

Here is my question, they worked on the cooling system just three weeks ago for which I NEVER had any cooling issues. Should they be held accountable for this as they state they did not work the top part of the engine ref their work in the cooling. I have a meeting this afternoon with the service manager, what knowledge or what can I go in and challenge them on? Am I stuck?? Sorry for the length. Thanks!!

See less See more
#41 ·
I think it apparent they want his engine

The whole scenario is jus foul from the beginning

MC made a good point

How are they gonna get a core charge on your property?

For them to "Claim" it as their own property to be reimbursed a percentage of their expenses is pure theft

Taking something which is not yours is theft...

Selling the stolen item that is not yours is Dealing in Stolen Property

Both are Felonies in my state

SUPER LAC DEVILLE

#42 ·
You're splitting hairs and dealing in technicalities. If the dealer buys an engine and the place they get it from charges a core charge, they will pay that charge to whoever buys the engine and turns in the core. They are not going to ask for proof of ownership. This is strictly between the customer and the dealer. Personally, I am surprised that they are eating the bill and since they are and are willing to make it right, I'd let them have the core to offset some of the cost. The dealer could very well have said it was just a coincidence and refused to give VOATMJ1 a dime. Proving fault and recouping money would be a long hard road. Don't look a gift hoarse in the mouth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.