1999 Deville 1/4 Mile Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Night Wolf
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1999 Deville 1/4 Mile Question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought a 1999 Deville with 33000 miles on it. What will it run in the 1/4 mile and ...
    99Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1999 Deville 1/4 Mile Question

I just bought a 1999 Deville with 33000 miles on it. What will it run in the 1/4 mile and 0-60?

Thanks jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
    You have one, why don't you let us know?

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: 1999 Deville 1/4 Mile Question

Standard Deville should runa mid 15 sec. 1/4 and 0-60 in the 7 sec. bracket.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    I was reading a site and they got a 15.3 out of a BASE DeVille...although it was a 2002, I am sure performance wise they are the same

My '93 DeVille with 81k miles (at the time) ran a 16.0.......almost a full tank of gas too, but I launched the car really, really bad, i think if I practice, get the $160 Fast Chip, and have only 3-4 gallons of gas (although I did have the trunk stripped) I can get a 15.7-15.8 which is what I origanally hoped for....but like I said I launched the car real bad and might have let off too soon, not sure.....

....this was with the 4.9, if the N* is 100more hp and 25 more ft lbs of tourqe, it has to be better then only .5sec.

I really wish there were more go-fast parts for the 4.9 out.....

The Marshmallow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Has: 1997 Deville, 2008 VW GTI Stage 2+, now with K04 turbo

Bumping this up, since there aren't a lot of other data points out there.

I took my base 97 Deville (The Marshmallow Warhammer D'Elegance) to the drag strip last night and it ran a best of 15.2 at 91mph with a 2.3 60ft time. This was at full weight (including spare tire) and with crappy 700 treadwear Goodyear white line tires aired down to about 24 psi, at about sea level.

Has anyone done better than that in their Deville?

Any tricks for disabling TC entirely? I feel that even with TC "off" the ecu cuts power when it detects any kind of wheel spin. I'm pretty sure that that brief ecu intervention is costing a couple of tenths.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    With TC off, you're actually starting in second gear (in pre '00 cars).

One truck would be to wire the rear wheel speed sensors to the front wheel speed sensor harnesses, so that the car will think all 4 wheels are turning at the same speed (obviously, the rears won't lose traction during acceleration). This could be wired with a switch so you could easily go back to having TC.

Great info, thanks. I take it there's no quick n dirty trick like pulling a fuse or anything like that for a temporary TC defeat?

I'm actually considering getting 2 cheap wheels and running shorter tires up front at the strip, preferable drag radials, to hook harder without chirping the tires (and in doing so, avoiding the accompanying power cut) while also compensating for the too-tall 3rd gear somewhat. I think this car could run 14.8 or 14.9 like that.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by The Marshmallow View Post
    Great info, thanks. I take it there's no quick n dirty trick like pulling a fuse or anything like that for a temporary TC defeat?
    Nope - as MC posted, you go to a junkyard and cut off a handful of wheel speed sensor connectors and pigtails from several same year cars. You then make a long harness plugged into the front wheel sensor chassis harness connectors - spliced into the rear wheel speed pigtails. Now the PCM sees all 4 wheel speeds as identical, regardless of front wheelspin. Want to cut the feature in and out ? Get creative with a Radio Shack project box and make a 4 pole double throw switch circuit to either run TC normally or defeat it.

Another way to defeat TC is to make a pushbutton jumper around the brake light switch, with blocking diode - that sends a phony brake signal and TC won't function as long as the pushbutton is held. It takes some intuitive service manual wiring diagram study and a bit of ingenuity.

It's all in here, years ago. Not sure where, now.

Here's an old FWD performance comparison ...................
    Attached Images

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Not sure TC gonna like different sized tires front and rear...

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Doesn't make any difference if you do the wheel speed sensor mod. Only thing affected for track work - using different sized front tires from stock - is speedo accuracy - from the VSS on top of the right transmission output shaft. Radical front tire size changes will also affect transmission shift points ........

marshmallow, You have a big problem right from the start - Your final drive is an economy 3.11:1. That kills things right there.

Thanks for all the great info once again. I probably won't mess with the electricals as I've had enough electrical gremlins with my stock setup without adding more things that could go wrong.

Looks like my only real option is to go for shorter track tires to achieve more favorable gearing, and grippier rubber to try to dead-hook without having to launch as softly as I do now to avoid tire spin on my hard passenger car tires.

And leave the TC on.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    And leave the TC on.
    Yep, that's the plan. I wish TC wasn't so intrusive...it definitely makes the car a lot slower than it needs to be, but I suppose this car was designed more for safely whisking retirees to bingo rain or shine than for track work, ha.

Thinking long term, in case the the tranny ever poops the proverbial bed, I take it the better-geared Concours tranny wouldn't be plug n play without a lot of work? Any idea what that option might entail?

Your PCM is set up for your final drive ratio and the appropriate tuning for your VIN Y engine. If you wanted to go through the trouble, a trans, PCM, and intake cam swap would get you the lower final drive ratio, and 300 HP.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.