Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Could you help me with this car please? 1993 Fleetwood

8K views 48 replies 9 participants last post by  DReffects 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

as some of you might have noticed i am wanting to buy a fleetwood. I am currently looking at a '93 "Fleetwood Sixty Special" with the 4.9 V8 Engine. From what i understand this car is based on the 91-93 Fleetwood - or is it based on the DeVille? If so, what's the major difference between the "Sixty Special" and the "Fleetwood"? It seems to have the new '93 Fleetwood Exterieur, but has odd looking seats (i don't see any electronic adjusters).

So is this a RWD Car and has the smaller 205.6 in (5,220 mm) body or the '93 Fleetwood length of 225.0 in (5,720 mm)?

The VIN is as follows: 1G6CB53B1P4220612

Could you also please give me some information on the Fuel Economy of the 4.9l V8 engine and the ride itself? I've driven a '95 Fleetwood Brougham RWD, it was awesome and smooth - that's the kinda ride i am looking for.

The car is equipped with a moonroof - are there any known issues (both in terms of water and noise)?

Here are some pics - what do you think?

Any idea what those tiny pipes on the rear are?!

THANKS GUYS!!

See less See more
#41 · (Edited)
So i had the car on a service lift today...

guess how the catalytic converter looked like from the inside... ;)

While probing the battery we've noticed something:

The hot wire from the battery was routed to badly, it touched the spinning part of the alternator. The POSITIVE pole that is. Dude....

Anyhow... catalytic converter is now empty :D and back in place. Car drives like a charm. Battery replacement has been ordered, 80 bucks. Apart from the electronic struts and the trunk lid pulldown motor I am good to go :) Car looks really good from below, especially considering the age. Minor oil leakage but nothing out of the ordinary :) I think i've made a good deal at this point. Have to spend ~300 on new struts, 80 on the battery, 50 on that pulldown motor. So all in all I am looking at 3.000 EUR *including* the car :) What do you guys think?

#42 ·
Yikes on the battery cables!!
Thaat's not the normal battery cable setup. Follow the cables back to see where all they go. Originally they should have gone to the side post connection, but if those batteries are harder to get in your area that is probably why they converted. The one in that picture does have it.

Usually the only thing wrong with the power trunk pulldown is the black switch that you see at the very top of it when you look at it.

From what you've said about prices before it seems like a good deal. It's a lot more then those cars go for around here but you don't have much of a chance to shop around either.

#43 ·
It's an original ACdelco battery with connectors both on the side and on top. I guess as the car was 'converted' for switzerland by Cadillac when they shipped it, they've used the top poles.

The Switch at the trunk lid actually works just fine, the motor inside is dead. I've opened up the casing and found the two cole-connectors hanging around and having a good time. The motor itself works if you put some power to it. I don't know if I have the patience to realign those connectors or just get a new used part... seen one for fifty bucks :)

#44 ·
Look exactly like mine except I have a vinyl top and no moon roof. I also have elect seat recline and my rims are a slightly different style (center caps the same though). Paid $950 for it with 140k more or less (can't remember now) and now has 153k miles. Replaced the radiator, idle control motor, and brake master cylinder. Other than that works perfect and I absolutely love driving the car. We also have a 1993 Buick Roadmaster...which is the sister to the Fleetwood Brougham...and it handles entirely different. I love both cars although each have entirely different manners and personalities.

#48 ·
I'm trying to say the car's so damn dirty, I think I have recovered the remains of a big mac within the power mirror controls alone ;)

Before:

After:

I've cleaned the switches and then put transparent plasti dip spray over it. I hope this protects the chrome and more importantly the white writing from further wear and tear. :)

#49 ·
Here's an update on the cleanup process:

Seatbelts before and after

Tried it with cockpit cleaner, then carpet cleaner, then another carpet cleaner, then vanish for extreeeeeme dirt, then water with chlorine, then chlorine with water. finally, with a 2/10th water 8/10th chlorine mixture and a brush i got them clean again...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.