Could you help me with this car please? 1993 Fleetwood - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Could you help me with this car please? 1993 Fleetwood in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by DReffects Well, i took a look at the car today. I took a lot of pictures. The ...
    basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Re: Could you help me with this car please? :)

Quote Originally Posted by DReffects View Post
    Well, i took a look at the car today. I took a lot of pictures. The outside of the car is in a bit of a rough condition, lots of scratches and stuff, but nothing unfixable. on the inside the car is in really good condition, it most certainly needs to be cleaned though. Unfortunately i've noticed the following defects:
    • "AC SERVICE" Lamp is glowing, Air Conditioning does not turn on. There's also a strange modification to the entire climate system: The previous owner installed a flipswitch in the glove box where you can turn the ventilation completely on and off. according to the dealer this was installed because the ventilation "drains the battery too fast". I don't quite get this... When the switch is turned on, ventilation works normally apart from the non functioning AC. I guess there's no way to check if it simply needs a refill or if the compressor is gone...
    • "SERVICE SSS" lamp is glowing. (The Speed-Sensitive-Steering) Steering was fine during a test ride, yet did not seem to adjust to speed. I guess it's stuck at a default setting. Or could this be a hidden suspension issue?
    • Power pull down trunk motor isn't working (according to the dealer it is a new motor but not wired correctly) - i don't quite care about that...
    • The right fender has a 5 inch long crack in it. As the fender is completely made out of plastic i guess i could simply glue this back together?
    • The factory radio is gone and someone has seriously messed up the wires I was unable to locate the Bose AMP - or isn't there one?
    • The engine was running very uneasy while the car was idle on the parking lot (please see video)
    • There was some serious noise coming from the bottom of the car, i guess the exhaust system is somehow messed up (please listen to the video)

Normally i would walk away here. But the price is REALLY good. I'd be willing to invest ~1500-2000 bucks into this car but i am very unsure if it's really worth it. I see two major problems:
    • Air Conditioning
    • Rumbling Noises & uneasy engine

Could you please give me your thoughts about repairing those systems and what kind of price range we are talking about here? The car seems to be a somewhat hot item, the dealer showed me the stats from the auto-trading website, there are tons of interested parties

Video of the rumbling noise

Video of the unsteady engine

Images (all are high res, please right-click and use 'Display Image' [firefox] to get the full size image)

What's that plastic Stuff all the wires go to? Is this by design?

Engine - any idea about the yellow grease on the alternator?:

Trunk with a Pioneer Radio:

Cockpit with wires... ahh^^

Rear Seats in great condition, unfortunately no cup holders

"There, I've fixed it...." That's one hell of a way to replace a broken rear view mirror...

Cracks...

...and DEEP Scratches (i guess i'd have to do some bondo magic...)

...and some more (rear bumper)

The Crack in the right fender

A look at the Car (The Sebring's mine btw)

Sooo... what do you guys think?
    --------------------------------------------
    the body work wouldn't bother me -
    HOWEVER -
    all that KUSTOM HACKERY scares the CRAP out of me -

keep looking - you WILL find the RIGHT car -
    THIS one just isn't it -

DReffects is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sixty Special 4.9l V8, '01 Sebring Convertible, '13 300C

Re: Could you help me with this car please? :)

Hm i actually do not fear the hackery in terms of the radio. The Ventialtion switch is tremedously odd though

Do you guys know if this car uses R12 or the newer R134a coolant?

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: Could you help me with this car please? 1993 Fleetwood

I hope it is cheap because it has had some rough care and stereo hackery is usually a deal breaker for me. Whoever cracked the fender didn't care about this car. Those noises underneath don't sound good either. I can just imagine how much attention they paid to the regular maintenance. I would gamble $500 on it because I could fix it but I wouldn't recommend it to the average Joe unless he wants a project car to learn diagnostics and mechanic work on. I wish someone would save it though but the person that hacked it deserves to lose his shirt on this car.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

It doesn't look too bad but you will have to spend some money fixing stuff if you get it.

The only thing I can think of for the switch for the climate control on the glovebox is if they fan runs all the time and that is just to turn it off. If it's more then that I'd be worried about what was hacked up. The radio wires like that, or any aftermarket radio is enough to make me walk away from a car.

In the video underneath it sounds like it just has an exhaust leak somewhere and a loose exhaust shield. Part of the sound under the hood is power steering pump or maybe alternator whine but for the engine to not run more smoothly there should be a trouble code to say what's going on. It could be something as simple as a vacuum hose problem or needing the throttle body cleaning done.

Cracks in the front fenders aren't unusual for those cars.

Id still like to know what those things are sticking out of the bumper?

Really, the only way for you to decide on the handling of both those styles of Cars, asin the Deville/Fleetwood and the bigger one, is to drive both and see what one you like the best. They are both going to be floatier then your 300 is.

Oh, and it is R12 unless someone changed it before.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    I hope it is cheap because it has had some rough care and stereo hackery is usually a deal breaker for me. Whoever cracked the fender didn't care about this car. Those noises underneath don't sound good either. I can just imagine how much attention they paid to the regular maintenance. I would gamble $500 on it because I could fix it but I wouldn't recommend it to the average Joe unless he wants a project car to learn diagnostics and mechanic work on. I wish someone would save it though but the person that hacked it deserves to lose his shirt on this car.
    Ok guys, I've gambled. Not 500$ but 3258$ but keep in mind that a top condition Fleetwood is rare AND expensive in Germany. They go for 15.000 - 17.000 USD... So i guess i have a large margin for repairs I am not afraid to dig deep into service and repair manuals (a ~200 pages strong repair manual is included with the car as well a document that appears to be a 'full' service history)

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    It doesn't look too bad but you will have to spend some money fixing stuff if you get it.

The only thing I can think of for the switch for the climate control on the glovebox is if they fan runs all the time and that is just to turn it off. If it's more then that I'd be worried about what was hacked up. The radio wires like that, or any aftermarket radio is enough to make me walk away from a car.

In the video underneath it sounds like it just has an exhaust leak somewhere and a loose exhaust shield. Part of the sound under the hood is power steering pump or maybe alternator whine but for the engine to not run more smoothly there should be a trouble code to say what's going on. It could be something as simple as a vacuum hose problem or needing the throttle body cleaning done.

Cracks in the front fenders aren't unusual for those cars.

Id still like to know what those things are sticking out of the bumper?

Really, the only way for you to decide on the handling of both those styles of Cars, asin the Deville/Fleetwood and the bigger one, is to drive both and see what one you like the best. They are both going to be floatier then your 300 is.

Oh, and it is R12 unless someone changed it before.
    Thanks, that actually reassured me somewhat in terms of exhaust and the fender The Pipes are indeed park distance sensor. I'll stick with my "Oil Slick System for advanced Superheroes" explaination anyway

Ok, what's next now? I'd like to take a look at an original cadillac bose radio - could you point me in the right direction for this car? I found ton's on ebay but am unsure what kind of radio would be the right one.

For spare parts, rocker panels, fenders etc - are the '93 deville or '92 Fleetwood parts 100% identical? (from what i understand this car is actually the '92 fleetwood with a new name...)

THANKS YOU GUYS!!!

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by DReffects View Post

Thanks, that actually reassured me somewhat in terms of exhaust and the fender The Pipes are indeed park distance sensor. I'll stick with my "Oil Slick System for advanced Superheroes" explaination anyway

Ok, what's next now? I'd like to take a look at an original cadillac bose radio - could you point me in the right direction for this car? I found ton's on ebay but am unsure what kind of radio would be the right one.

For spare parts, rocker panels, fenders etc - are the '93 deville or '92 Fleetwood parts 100% identical? (from what i understand this car is actually the '92 fleetwood with a new name...)

THANKS YOU GUYS!!!
    The radio would have looked like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Cadillac-...-/121131027356

There is also a CD version. You'd need to compare plugs to make sure you get the right one for your car. If the plugs are missing that'll be a bit of a problem.

All 1991-1993 Devilles and 1991-1992 Fleetwood/93 Sixty Special are the same. The only differences is trim and seats between Deville & Fleetwood.

Super, Thanks!

Do you have information on the amp as well? I thought it would be in the trunk but I didn't see it when i looked at the car

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

On a factory Delco/Bose as your car was original equip, the amps are with the speakers. If you wish to make it factory original, best take each speaker enclosure out to be certain they haven't been changed. Let's back up a minute and get a FSM. Your friend is ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...6029&_from=R40
    Here is a great opportunity if you could talk them into an overseas deal.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-1993-Ca...2b9381&vxp=mtr

Also go here to find the original equipment/options your car was built with.

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

This book comes with the car: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1993-De...2480ce&vxp=mtr

Thank you very much for that VIN Report thingy. I have to say: this forum has been a tremendous help, I am glad to be a part of this community

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The Haynes/Chiltons manuals are pretty useless for anything other than BASIC maintenence/repair. Have a bird cage that needs lining?

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The Haynes/Chiltons manuals are pretty useless for anything other than BASIC maintenence/repair. Have a bird cage that needs lining?
    Well, at least it's good for the exhaust problem I am facing then...

Worry, i am unfamiliar with the bird cage idiom. What do you mean?

Just ran the VIN Decoder thingy - the car's being reported as follows:

Vehicle: DEVILLE 4 DR
    Year: 1993
    Build Date: 1992-10-02

Why is it listed as a Deville? Here's the link: http://www.compnine.com/mycar.php?id...c3a51b95d710a0

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

It is a Deville base with the Sixty Special option. All of those items on the list are either options or destinations.

It's just a "Sixty Special", it's not a Deville. Compnine is wrong, probably something to do with the odd, one year name change.

Birdcage idiom: Tear the pages out if the Haynes book, and line the bottom of the cage with them.

Now that I think of it, if the code has cleared, the light should be out. Try disconnecting both battery terminals, and touching them together.

picked the car up today. pewh... the first 100 miles was VERY different from the test drive. the car started stuttering and shaking, refused to accellarate etc. ppp.

In the documents provided i found a recent invoice for the correction of the ignition timing. the mechanic noted "catalyst defective" - so i guess (HOPE!!) that the stuttering is actually a totally clogged exhaust system and not the transmission.

after ~100 miles the ride suddenly went smooth after a lound bang, perhaps the catalyst threw up or something^^

I cleared the DTC Error codes and for my complete surprise the Air Conditioning started working for about 3 minutes, then it shut down again. DTC gave the "low coolant" error code. So i guess the AC is just a refill away

I've noted a very odd button below the Parking brake (near the footrest for your left foot) you can step on it and every time i do this i can hear a relay click below the glove box. Do you guys have any idea what that is? (Perhaps the PDC Pipes are in fact for an oil slick^^)

The ride is awesome (apart from the serious stuttering) - lets see how the car performs after i had my break at BK

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.