Fuel pump wiring???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Fuel pump wiring??? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Yes I have looked at other threads concerning fuel pump wiring, but cant find a solution for the problem I ...
    n3870v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille
    Yes I have looked at other threads concerning fuel pump wiring, but cant find a solution for the problem I have.

Concerning the electrical wiring hook up diagram - I have the same instructions that are listed in other threads for aftermarket fuel pums and the wiring of them. When I started installing mine last night on my 99 deville, combination 3 is the one my deville has except for one thing. The problem is that both my black wires are the same wire gage!!! I dont have a small or a large black wire - Yes they are the same wire gage. How does one know which back wires goes where since they are the same size. I hooked it up last night and installed the tank, but it was pretty late and didnt get a chance to start it up. It was a 50/50 shot as to which wire goes where, and if it doesnt start I know where to start.

Has anyone experienced this?????

Thank Sal

Posts merged and one deleted after move from wrong forum.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

onecool is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Deville
    Any thing is possible but why struggle.
    get an ohmmeter and find out for sure.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Fuel pump wiring???

n3870v - I deleted your other two identical posts in incorrect forums. Please DO NOT double/triple post questions - keep it all in one place. Thanks.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

You cut them all off? Should match up first.
    The pics should show you connector wire position. (A,B,C,D)

Sorry for the double posts. I did ohm out both blacks wires and both indicate grounds. neither had a greater resistance. Today, after searching for wiring printouts for the connector, I have found that one black wire (pin C) is ground for the pump, the other black (pin D) is ground for the sending unit. So the question is, will it matter if the grounds are crossed? I always thought ground is ground???

Thanks - Sal

OK - So I get it all back together, and yes it started up and works great. So one of two things happened, either I got lucky and picked the right ground wires, or..... a ground, is a ground, is a ground!!!!

I would still like to know if it really matters which ground wire goes where or if it doesnt matter at all. If the fuel pump groung is connected to the fuel sender ground and vice versa, would it still work???

Sal

ruaskier2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sal, I'd like to know what pump was removed from the tank? Was it changed previous or is this the first pump replacement? Any markings on the pump shell you removed? What are the numbers? the Date code? Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by ruaskier2 View Post
    Sal, I'd like to know what pump was removed from the tank? Was it changed previous or is this the first pump replacement? Any markings on the pump shell you removed? What are the numbers? the Date code? Thx.

There are 3 or 4 different pumps/modules depending on car/model/year/engine
    . It would help if you updated your profile to show what car you're talking about ............

You've been gone for so long that your old posts are dead.

It was the original pump. Had 157,000 miles on it, and sorry, no info for the unit removed. The fuel sender stopped working and I grew tired of using the "gallons used" in the information center. I figured for the price of the sending unit, and the trouble to change it, might as well do the whole pump. Like I stated before, both black wires on the connector were the exact same gage.

Poke through the different pump modules in the RockAuto parts site. Click on the little pictures or the "INFO" tab to get to a blowup and/or more info on the part. For the fuel pump module, some of those tabs will also show the wiring harness supplied with the new module.

Some of the new modules even have a new, larger blade, flat, 4-pin connector that gets spliced into the existing pump module wiring. I have two spare pump modules, two different electrical connectors on the tops - one original square/round pin connector; one flat/flat-blade connector with new pigtail.

Rock auto is actually where I purchased it. model #FG0118, (gm p/n 25325871) The photo of the connector is exactly the one that was in my kit. The connector that I had to cut off on my fuel tank had the purple, grey, and 2 black wires. The problem was, acording to the instructions, is that the 2 black wires on the tank connector should have been 2 different gages. The pump wiring instructions said to hook the orange/black wire of the new connector to the smaller gage, black wire on the tank, and the other black wire on the new pump connector, to the larger black wire on the tank connector. Since both wires on the tank connector were the same gage, I couldnt determine which went where.

Research indicates the two black wires on the tank connector are ground for the pump (pin C), the other black is ground for the sending unit (pin D). Which leads me back to my original question, did I get get lucky hooking it up, or does it not matter since both are grounds? A ground is ground?????

Thanks - Sal

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.