1999 Deville Concours - CMP Sensor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1999 Deville Concours - CMP Sensor in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Had 2 cam lobes worn down on rear cam, found a shop whom replaced the cam and oil pump cheap. ...
    ffemt702 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville Concours

1999 Deville Concours - CMP Sensor

Had 2 cam lobes worn down on rear cam, found a shop whom replaced the cam and oil pump cheap. A few oil changes and all is well now and car run well except for check engine light and a slight miss at idle. Autozone donwloaded code and its cam sensor or bank 1 (rear) same bank that the cam was replaced.

Question- How hard to it to change cam position sensor? Can I do that at home?
    Mech says he think it's the computer after troubleshooting, but i didnt have the problem before cam went bad. Are the computers the same for all concours FWD northstars?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ffemt702 View Post
    Had 2 cam lobes worn down on rear cam, found a shop whom replaced the cam and oil pump cheap. A few oil changes and all is well now and car run well except for check engine light and a slight miss at idle. Autozone donwloaded code and its cam sensor or bank 1 (rear) same bank that the cam was replaced.

Question- How hard to it to change cam position sensor? Can I do that at home?
    Mech says he think it's the computer after troubleshooting, but i didnt have the problem before cam went bad. Are the computers the same for all concours FWD northstars?
    Well, Cadillac says 98-99 are the same but the computer are programmed. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    The can sensor can be changed at home, tight to get hands in there. I would check to see if it even got plugged back in first.

ofnaman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Re: 1999 Deville Concours

Id make sure the timing was set correctly before you throw a part at it. It's very easy to get the cam timing off on these engines. One tooth on one of the four cam sprockets will cause this concern.

I just found the cam sensor I think and yes it looks a little tight to get into up against the shock tower. it is plugged in and may need a 10mm wrench to unbolt it maybe. the car starts up and runs fine except for a miss/surge at idle. car runs and drives fine.

would a bad coil or missing coil at idle set off a cam sensor error. Maybe i'm digging in to deep.

autozone downloaded the code and the print out says cam shaft position sensor signal error/cam sensor defective. I will change the sensor, don't like to use autozone cheap parts. maybe i should drop if off at the delear and let them fix it.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I edited your title to be more descriptive.

ofnaman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by ffemt702 View Post
    I just found the cam sensor I think and yes it looks a little tight to get into up against the shock tower. it is plugged in and may need a 10mm wrench to unbolt it maybe. the car starts up and runs fine except for a miss/surge at idle. car runs and drives fine.

would a bad coil or missing coil at idle set off a cam sensor error. Maybe i'm digging in to deep.

autozone downloaded the code and the print out says cam shaft position sensor signal error/cam sensor defective. I will change the sensor, don't like to use autozone cheap parts. maybe i should drop if off at the delear and let them fix it.
    Just a heads up, there is no such thing as an error code that will tell you that a sensor is defective. Codes are there to steer you in the right direction, you need to look at the live data to see what the sensor is doing to verify what is going on with it. Your engine only has one cam sensor and it happens to be on the cam you just had replaced. I'd take it back to the shop that did the work and let them know what is going on. It really sounds to me like they might have the timing off on the camshaft chain.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by ofnaman

Just a heads up, there is no such thing as an error code that will tell you that a sensor is defective.
    Codes point specifically to sensors. A code is set when a sensor or system performs in a way it was not intended. For a sensor, no/intermittent/low or high voltage will trigger a code.

The actual code definition may not say "defective", but the AutoZone printout will give that as a possible cause. And assuming there is not a wiring/connector problem, and that nobody else has caused a problem with a bad repair, that's correct.

Re: 1999 Deville Concours - CMP Sensor

sorry guys, I'm no mechanic and do the best i can with describing the problem or issue going on with the vehicle. While reading your blogs, most things do make sense posted and Thank You. according to the mechanic, he rechecked the timing and all is good, spot on and all timing marks are in the correct position. Question - If the timing marks were off by one tooth, would the car start up and drive being it's tight tolerances. the car starts right up, idles and drive perfect perfect beside the little hesitation or miss at idle every minute or two as well as the check engine light. Yes the cam sensor is plugged in and connection doesn't look damaged. I purchased a new sensor and that suppose to have been replaced with the last oil changes. Maybe its the computer!!!! This is the worse car I have ever owned in my 46yrs on this earth

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Could be the wiring itself is damaged, or the sensor peg is pissing from the cam itself.
    The only other thing that comes to mind is the wrong cam was installed. Do believe VIN 9 and Y engines use different cams.

Only the intake cams are different.

update- still have issues.

took the car to the dealer, they went thru checked the timing - etc. got it down to ign module, they installed 9 ign module and the code didn't clear (8 aftermarket and 1 GM factory). The code cleared when one of the employees put the ign module in out of his wife's caddy. my ign module threw codes once put in here car, they put her ign module back in her car and the codes cleared. The dealer also reprogrammed PMC. Dealer gave the car and stated they couldn't fix it, they also didn't have time to keep swamping modules trying to find a ign module that works.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Tomorrow morning EDT, talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>>>>>

Someone is jerking your chain - My guess is that an ICM from a pick&pull lot would even work.

The ICM has coil connector contacts, electrical connectors and a ground wire - EVERY one of those connections must be perfectly clean, tight, and conductive.

I purchased another ICM/coils from wrecking yard and still have the same problem.

Did you mount (ground) the replacement when you tested it? You can't just plug in the connectors and let it set on the engine. It's grounded through the mounting bolt. Just thought that was worth an honorable mention.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.