warped front brake rotors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, warped front brake rotors in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 2003 deville, last year at 42k my o3 deville would shake when braking hard, the front rotors were warped so ...
    houg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): deville

warped front brake rotors

2003 deville, last year at 42k my o3 deville would shake when braking hard, the front rotors were warped so i replaced the rotors and pads with the top of the line napa pads & rotors, i drive the car maybe 15 miles a day on mostly flat roads no hard braking at all, now a year later i have 51k on the car and this past weekend i went to vermont (lots of hills & mountains) coming down the hills in vermont my car would shake when braking the rotors are warped again, my question is why do the rotors on my 03 deville warp so easy???? the rotors and pads i put on it were the best that napa had, i figure i should get more than 9k outa a set of new rotors,
    oh, and when i replaced the rotors i used a torque wrench on the wheels to make sure that they were on right

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Re: warped front brake rotors

I would put on GM part #25837407 or AC #17-0985 pads, I think you're rotors are fine.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Your rotors are not warped. They are cast iron so they won't warp. What you are feeling is brake pad deposit build up. What works best for me is to get on a county road and ride the brakes for about 1/2 mile or so to heat and scrub the rotors. Then keep driving to cool them.
    http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

houg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): deville

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Your rotors are not warped. They are cast iron so they won't warp. What you are feeling is brake pad deposit build up. What works best for me is to get on a county road and ride the brakes for about 1/2 mile or so to heat and scrub the rotors. Then keep driving to cool them.
    http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
    is the cadillac the only car that does this or do other brand cars build up brake deposit???

If anything, it may be more prone to certain brake pad compounds. Certainly not to any one make or model. In reality, I suspect it is just the nature of the beast (the relationship between pads & rotors).

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Use this on a rainy day to gain some brake knowledge - many links. You will read quite a few differing opinions on brakes and brake problems in forums - most of it is subjective and based on hearsay and witchcraft. My take is that the people who design and make the stuff in the first place have some foggy idea of what they're doing ........ and Ranger is correct: Pad/rotor problems are in no way restricted to any one or several manufacturers - everyone has had brake problems of one kind or another.

http://ebcbrakes.com/technical-articles/

Alpetjr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville

I have the same problem. I changed both rotors and bought lifetime ceramic pads. My mechanic seems to think that the ABS valve is doing the fluttering and needs to be re-set. He said that when you push the piston back into caliper, it moves the pisons in the ABS brake valve unit. What he said he needs to do is put it on the computer and re-align the ABS valve. To avoid this he said when pushing the piston back into the caliper, have the bleeder open and copress the caliper slow. My mechanic used to be a Cadillac mechanic before GM did away with alot of dealerships.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    ABS has nothing to do with excessive lateral runout, unless maybe you were activating ABS with nearly every stop.

There is no "realigning of valves" possible or necessary, and how fast you push/turn caliper pistons back in effects nothing.

Then tell me what my problem is. Front end shook when you put the brakes on. Replaced the front rotors with wagners and wagners ceramic pads. Cleaned the rims and calipers. The brake peddle acted like there was air in the sytem. Peddle went to the floor. Front brakes were working but very little. Did that for 7 miled (city driving) Niether front brake grabbed, worked evenly. As the front brakes started working more and more after 60 miles the frontend started shaking when you put the brake on. The same exact way. It's not dirt, brake dust, bad rotors or pads. It is doing the same exact thing that it was doing before the new rotors were put on. Chances are very highly against both calipers going bad at the same time. mind you there was and is no grabbing or pulling in the frontend. When the car stopps, it stops evenly. No hands on the wheel.

For brake problem diagnosis I would suggest that you read the Cadillac/GM service manual for your particular car. They can be found online from eBay or www.helminc.com. For instant gratification, subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com - the GM service manuals plus so much more that you need a home study course to find it all.

There are also many brake work threads in the many pages of Cadillac Tech Tips in Discussions.

(Your "mechanic" is incorrect on the operation of your brake calipers and the ABS pump/EBTCM. He may be referring to the old method of resetting a front-rear brake proportioning valve.)

Peddle went to the floor. Front brakes were working but very little.
    Sounds like air in the system or a bad master cylinder.

I got to the bottom of it. Check the back rotors. On mine, the rear rotors are warped and the shaking is being transfered to the front and the steering wheel.

That's a new twist !!! Never heard that one before.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Happened on my PA, I would have sworn it was the frts. Put new frts on and same problem, turned out to be sticky slide pin in back had ruined a rotor. Drove me insane and all shake was in steering wheel. The rears were turned with new pads six months earlier.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.