What should normal coolant temp be on 98 Deville N* when runnig A/C in Phoenix 110 F.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, What should normal coolant temp be on 98 Deville N* when runnig A/C in Phoenix 110 F. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; What should normal coolant temp be on 98 Deville N* when runnig A/C in Phoenix 110 F. Seems to run ...
    MadillacMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Deville & 78 D'Elegance

What should normal coolant temp be on 98 Deville N* when runnig A/C in Phoenix 110 F.

What should normal coolant temp be on 98 Deville N* when runnig A/C in Phoenix 110 F. Seems to run kind of high between 222 - 227. Sorry folks, but seems that when I began to start to change the coolant, it seems like a little too much work. I was reading some older posts, and I don't have the technical knowledge to test. I am mechanically inclined, but lots of terms I can't follow and don't know where to start. I bought the DEX with the pellets to add, thinking it should be a problem, but guess what I am here so that should say enough. Go easy on me gents. Would appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Re: What should normal coolant temp be on 98 Deville N* when runnig A/C in Phoenix 11

Does not read as abnormal to me considering where you are.
    I think that is about where the fans start coming on.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...what-temp.html
    Fans come on low at 224 and high at around 230.

leave the pellets where you found them.

|

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: What should normal coolant temp be on 98 Deville N* when runnig A/C in Phoenix 11

Go to Engines, Northstar Performance and read the two sticky posts on Northstar cooling systems and temperature gauges. All this has been posted so many times that it's unnecessary to type it all out again.

Study the Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar.

Many pictures and diagrams of the cooling system and parts in my albums.

If you have no nuisance coolant weeps now, why add stuff to the coolant ?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

My '97 ran 205 (summer) - 215 (winter), but I never drove it in your temperatures. I'd say those temps are probably normal considering you are driving on the outskirts of hell (especially if the (engine) temps stay stable).

MadillacMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Deville & 78 D'Elegance

Thanks for the update. I will leave as is then if the temp is in normal range. Regarding the Pellets, are they even needed when you change out the coolant?

SUPER LAC DEVILLE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville
    Quote Originally Posted by MadillacMan View Post
    What should normal coolant temp be on 98 Deville N* when runnig A/C in Phoenix 110 F. Seems to run kind of high between 222 - 227. Sorry folks, but seems that when I began to start to change the coolant, it seems like a little too much work. I was reading some older posts, and I don't have the technical knowledge to test. I am mechanically inclined, but lots of terms I can't follow and don't know where to start. I bought the DEX with the pellets to add, thinking it should be a problem, but guess what I am here so that should say enough. Go easy on me gents. Would appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.
    You're temp is fine

The IC will tell u if you're too hot, I think mine came on at 265* and said engine hot , turn off or something like that

230 is "warm" so to speak
    U should see ur temps decline at 233* down to around 210/215* when the fans kick on high

With proper thermostat your Deville should sit between 190*/220*

Think i remember Outside temps don't matter to much as the coolant system is its own "Environment"

Tho I've seen mine vary in cool or cold outside temps, I've seen my coolant temp idle as high as 230* when the outside temp was in the 30's... Maybe I was low on coolant that day???

Pellets are of no benefit

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

GM quit using those "pellets" in about '03. They tend to clog purge lines and heater cores. Return them or throw 'em away.

blalockchiro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville, 89 Camaro, 07 Silverado

ok my 2 cent.....speaking of hell, Arizona is not it, South Georgia is....we are already at 100%+ humidity with 100+ degree temps, Arizona is a least dry.....my temps in 97 deville are high according to some and not to others...mine is averaging.. 230 in the city, and drops to 206 on high way, but once they are up to 230+, they take longer (in my deville) to come down and when they do it is down to 216-220 area. I know that many of you are experts, but many of you are not living in the south and I think may need to give consideration that the car is affected by outside temps. In Atlanta, on a shut down freeway, in the middle of the afternoon, the street is 150+ degrees, that does affect the temp. these older cars are experiencing overheating problems and there needs to be a soloution to the problem or maybe idea on how to reduce the temps to save these old beauties from the junk yard. that's my 2 cent

thenaaks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 deville
    There's no secret or magic potion. Cooling system maintenance (or repair) will keep any stock vehicle operating at the proper temperatures.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Truth ^^^ - - - The Northstar cooling system, in good condition and properly maintained, will keep the engine and coolant within design specs whether the car is in Alaska, Chicago, Palm Beach, Saudi Arabia or Capetown.

The thermostat begins opening at 188 and is fully open at 206. Most (99.999%) Northstar engines will run, depending on A/C compressor setting, between 190 and 220 all day, 24/7/365.

FWIW, My STS has 9 trips between MD and central FL, winter and summer. In downtown Gainesville traffic in August the engine shows no hint of any chance of maybe coming even close to "overheating" - A/C on or off, take your pick (I'm just perverse enough to sweat for a half hour to see how things work ..........).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.