A/C Problem question - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, A/C Problem question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Wow searching about using different coolants has me convinced why my car over heats after awhile with the a/c on... ...
    alfarop1999 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville

Re: A/C Problem question

Wow searching about using different coolants has me convinced why my car over heats after awhile with the a/c on... ive been using straight cooling this whole time. So with that 50/50 dex cool stuff your suspose to mix it with distilled water too or just with straight dex cool?

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

unless you buy already mixed 50/50 coolant -
    you would dilute the straight coolant with distilled water - 50/50 -

thanks.. ive already watched 40 bucks go down the drain trynna get this right... so far ive flushed it with a water hose and added 50/50 yellow prestone. but now i know theres still water in the system so its not a 50:50.. thinking about flushing that yellow stuff out and from there start new with Straight orange dex cool mixed with distilled water.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You need to read up on cooling systems and their operation - you're way out in left field right now.

Use the Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar, then study the cooling, gauge, and head gasket stickys in Engines, Northstar Performance.

For starters, a 50/50 mix of coolant (your call as to type) - at 16 psi - boils at about 265 degrees. 100% coolant boils at a considerably lower temp than that. (Your pressure cap is set to 18 psi - is it in good condition ?)........ and 100% coolant DOES NOT remove as much heat from the block to the radiator as a 50/50 mix does.

How do you mix coolant BEFORE pouring it into the surge tank to the proper FULL COLD level (about half full) ??? Take a 2 quart pitcher and a gallon of coolant and a gallon of distilled water (supermarket). Pour half the distilled water into the pitcher. Fill the distilled water jug with raw coolant. Pour the pitcher of distilled water into the coolant jug. BINGO ! 2 gallons of 50/50 coolant and a clean pitcher (at a much cheaper price than the ripoff pre-mixed stuff).

IF you can blow/vacuum ALL liquid out of your cooling system it will take over 3 gallons to get it to the proper cold fill level - after a few starts and stops to bleed the air from the engine block-heater-radiator circuits.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by alfarop1999 View Post
    Wow searching about using different coolants has me convinced why my car over heats after awhile with the a/c on... ive been using straight cooling this whole time. So with that 50/50 dex cool stuff your suspose to mix it with distilled water too or just with straight dex cool?
    You NEVER use straight coolant, no matter what brand. ALWAYS mix it 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    You need to read up on cooling systems and their operation - you're way out in left field right now.

Use the Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar, then study the cooling, gauge, and head gasket stickys in Engines, Northstar Performance.

For starters, a 50/50 mix of coolant (your call as to type) - at 16 psi - boils at about 265 degrees. 100% coolant boils at a considerably lower temp than that. (Your pressure cap is set to 18 psi - is it in good condition ?)........ and 100% coolant DOES NOT remove as much heat from the block to the radiator as a 50/50 mix does.

How do you mix coolant BEFORE pouring it into the surge tank to the proper FULL COLD level (about half full) ??? Take a 2 quart pitcher and a gallon of coolant and a gallon of distilled water (supermarket). Pour half the distilled water into the pitcher. Fill the distilled water jug with raw coolant. Pour the pitcher of distilled water into the coolant jug. BINGO ! 2 gallons of 50/50 coolant and a clean pitcher (at a much cheaper price than the ripoff pre-mixed stuff).

IF you can blow/vacuum ALL liquid out of your cooling system it will take over 3 gallons to get it to the proper cold fill level - after a few starts and stops to bleed the air from the engine block-heater-radiator circuits.
    Ive read them but what has me is why do some people mix 50/50 coolant with distilled water if its already mixed for you????

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by alfarop1999 View Post
    Ive read them but what has me is why do some people mix 50/50 coolant with distilled water if its already mixed for you????
    ------------------------
    why do some people mix 50/50 coolant with distilled water
    if its already mixed for you?

-------------------------
    you don't -

you can purchase coolant that is PRE-MIXED to a 50/50 concentrate -

OR -

you can purchase full-strength coolant -
    and purchase distilled water -
    and mix it yourself -
    alfarop1999 likes this.

When i first got the car i was putting water in my coolant, and after starting putting straight coolant... I just fixed the problem and now its at 50:50.. My overheating episodes are now over! Now i can enjoy the a/c without having the car heat up to the redline and shut itself off. I want to thank you guys for your help!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.