Cadillac Owners Forum banner

A/C Problem question

4K views 38 replies 7 participants last post by  alfarop1999 
#1 ·
What do you guys think this could be.
I turn on the a/c and after about 15 min the car temp goes up not rapidly. After one bar over normal i turn it off and it goes back down.
Can it be the compressor?

#7 ·
----------------------------
also im constantly having to put coolant every 2 weeks...
ya - like Ranger said - that changes EVERYTHING -

FIRST - VERY IMPORTANT -
face NORTH -
BOW to the Northstar Gods -
and repeat "PLEASE - PLEASE - PLEASE" -

THEN - do a PRESSURE TEST -

you can "rent" a pressure test kit for free from AutoZone -
or other big chain stores -

hopefully you will find an external leak -

SECOND -
check the PURGE LINE -
do a search - it's been discussed a million times
here - the Eldo/Seville forum - and NorthstarPerformance forum -

LAST -
do a BLOCK TEST -
it too has been discussed a million times -

#16 ·
----------------------
no - the PURGE LINE is the only way of expelling air from the Northstar cooling system -

it is a 3/8 diameter hose that goes from a hollow bolt in the thermostat/waterpump housing area of the engine - and plugs onto a nipple on the side of the SERGE TANK -

with the engine running - there should be a gentle - constant flow of coolant - from the engine - to the serge tank -

if there is no flow - the most likely cause is a blockage in the hollow bolt -

follow the hose towards the engine - with the engine OFF - remove the hose - use a straightened metal coat hanger - or something similar - and poke it into the hollow bolt -

the coat hanger should go in about 2 1/2 inches -

once the hollow bolt is cleared - you can briefly start the engine to verify coolant flow - be sure to use some sort of container to catch the coolant so you don't make a mess -

check the hose and serge tank for blockage -

#20 ·
wow ive been using straight this whole time, but still seems to be low on coolant. ill go get 50/50 and pour the rest of that to top it off...

----------

wow ive been using straight this whole time, but still seems to be low on coolant. ill go get 50/50 and pour the rest of that to top it off...
or maby i should flush it out because i already put about a gallon and 1/2 in there.. but low coolant message came out again.

#22 ·
i stuck a water hose in the surge tank and turned it on while it was draining and turnd on the heat inside the car.. waited till i saw nothing but water come out and now just waiting for all the water to drain out too... i wonder if orileys would let me return a 75% full coolant i had just bought. it doesnt work its defected...

#24 ·
it was a joke brother..
and by the way i put in the 50/50 coolant and the car sucked it up but after i turnd off the heater it starting filling up and bubbiling the surge tank pretty bad... if im not mistake it seem as it was clogged through the hose that is going towards the passanger to the drivers side. and after it stoppd bubbling it went back down meaning i have to add more coolant again.

#30 ·
:noidea: I suppose they are probably compatible and if so, it should state that on the jug somewhere. I'm pretty sure they are as most people are not dedicated to any one coolant so every time they change coolant with a different brand or have it done by a different shop or their shop switched brands, they are mixing. If they where not compatible, there would be a LOT of problems. I'd put that in the same category as mixing brands of gas, oil or trans fluid.

#31 ·
Wow searching about using different coolants has me convinced why my car over heats after awhile with the a/c on... ive been using straight cooling this whole time. So with that 50/50 dex cool stuff your suspose to mix it with distilled water too or just with straight dex cool?

#33 ·
thanks.. ive already watched 40 bucks go down the drain trynna get this right... so far ive flushed it with a water hose and added 50/50 yellow prestone. but now i know theres still water in the system so its not a 50:50.. thinking about flushing that yellow stuff out and from there start new with Straight orange dex cool mixed with distilled water.

#34 ·
You need to read up on cooling systems and their operation - you're way out in left field right now.

Use the Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar, then study the cooling, gauge, and head gasket stickys in Engines, Northstar Performance.

For starters, a 50/50 mix of coolant (your call as to type) - at 16 psi - boils at about 265 degrees. 100% coolant boils at a considerably lower temp than that. (Your pressure cap is set to 18 psi - is it in good condition ?)........ and 100% coolant DOES NOT remove as much heat from the block to the radiator as a 50/50 mix does.

How do you mix coolant BEFORE pouring it into the surge tank to the proper FULL COLD level (about half full) ??? Take a 2 quart pitcher and a gallon of coolant and a gallon of distilled water (supermarket). Pour half the distilled water into the pitcher. Fill the distilled water jug with raw coolant. Pour the pitcher of distilled water into the coolant jug. BINGO ! 2 gallons of 50/50 coolant and a clean pitcher (at a much cheaper price than the ripoff pre-mixed stuff).

IF you can blow/vacuum ALL liquid out of your cooling system it will take over 3 gallons to get it to the proper cold fill level - after a few starts and stops to bleed the air from the engine block-heater-radiator circuits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.