00 DHS car can't reverse up steep drive and clunks when go into drive...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 00 DHS car can't reverse up steep drive and clunks when go into drive... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; This just started today, I wonder if it may be the front motor mount but don't see why the trans ...
    jimsbox is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

00 DHS car can't reverse up steep drive and clunks when go into drive...

This just started today, I wonder if it may be the front motor mount but don't see why the trans won' pull up the hill in reverse. I think the torque converter is slipping some when I do try it but not dramatically, its more like trying to back up against wheel chocks. When go into drive it clunks as it pulls forward and it get a moving start against the driveway gutter it goes up some and then can't make it all the way up. Only code is P0420 which is unrelated (O2 sensor) and some ABS codes related to the steering sensor and probably a loose ground on the ABS block.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    That's not good.

Have you checked the trans fluid level?

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Re: 00 DHS car can't reverse up steep drive and clunks when go into drive...

Is the motor revving or bogging?

If it's revving & the fluid is full, bad reverse clutch and/or band.
    If it's not revving, e-brake or traction activating?

Converter is not going to do anything different in D or R.

It is possible to have a cross leak in the unit that would apply wrong clutch or band if pressure is too high due to a bad pressure solenoid.
    Does it go into D hard or just have a mount clunk? Does it also upshift hard?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

........... and, when backing up, the front center motor mount would tend to compress, not stretch.

The clunk sounds like it is structural like a motor mount or suspension part, it only occurs when shifting the car from being loaded in reverse to drive, other wise didn't notice it. Also found that the steering wheel is now sitting at 45 left of center to go forward, wasn't that way for the 690 mile trip I had it on yesterday. This all occurred at once when I got home and tried to back into the drive way. I also noticed that the car feels strange in turns now, I wonder if it could be a failed ball joint? It seems to reverse fine on level ground. This all occurred at once, there was no gradual progression involved and that is why I am leaning towards a structural or suspension failure, although there may be something with the ABS I suppose. It is raining today and I can't put it in the garage.

Now that's a different story.
    Check for broken hold down strap on the steering rack. Probably pass side.
    May cause the tires to toe out in reverse.
    Should also have done violent things while driving, too.

I did notice the driver side tire toed out when the passenger side is straight. What exactly is a hold down strap on the power steering rack. I replaced it a year or so ago and do not remember any straps. If I remember correctly it had two bolts holding it down but I will check it out. Thanks for the input, that makes sense except for the reversing against resistence part.

The pass side (if I remember correctly) has a strap welded to the rack that the bolt goes through and has been known to break off causing the rack to lift.
    The tires would severely toe out in reverse causing a heavy drag.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

I did notice the driver side tire toed out when the passenger side is straight
    so you either have a broken tie rod -
    or a broken rack -

DO NOT TRY TO DRIVE THE CAR -
    you just might find yourself unable to steer/control it -
    have it towed in / inspected / repaired /

Its in the driveway as indicated before. I will pull the passeger wheel off when it dries up outside. It may be a loose tie rod but it is still steerable. I agree it is unsafe to drive as it is and appreciate your concern. Do you know anything about steering rack hold down straps? I am still confused about what/where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsbox View Post
    Do you know anything about steering rack hold down straps? I am still confused about what/where they are.
    It's where the bolt goes through. It's either welded or wraps around the rack, can't fully remember, but it does break. Usually passenger side.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Not 100%, but I think the rack straps are an older (up to '99 for Deville, '97 for Seville, '02 for Eldo) e/k-body deal - I don't think the newer version (90's g-body renamed, basically) used a strap, just bolts through some ears on the rack body as you mentioned.

Driver side goes through the rack, pass side has a strap:

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

copy that

I think you guys are probably right. I just went out and backed it a car length down the driveway and went to turn it to move it over in front of the middle garage bay to be ready to pull the wheel when it stops raining and there were some serious pops going on, it was so bad I didn't even finish moving it. Do you know if the strap is steel? I have a MIG welder and may weld it if it is reparable. Other wise, is the strap replacable with out replacing the whole rack assembly. Thanks a lot to everyone responding to my requests for help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.