00 DHS car can't reverse up steep drive and clunks when go into drive... - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 00 DHS car can't reverse up steep drive and clunks when go into drive... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Aztec, Yes I was aware of that but I forgot to take the nut off the passenger side motor mount ...
    jimsbox is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

Re: 00 DHS car can't reverse up steep drive and clunks when go into drive...

Aztec,

Yes I was aware of that but I forgot to take the nut off the passenger side motor mount to lower the cradle and now I have a torn motor mount... can you spell brain fart? I will replace the bad mount and do a brake job in the morning and hopefully I can call it done.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Even with all that, it's still better than a blown trans!

After replacing the steering rack I am now getting a surging idle, rhythmically goes from 500 to 800 then drops back, very consistent and probably about a 2 second cycle period. Also am now getting a P0340 Camshaft sensor circuit message. I suspect this is more likely to be a vacuum leak having just dropped the cradle down to replace the rack. Any ideas?

Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsbox
    After replacing the steering rack I am now getting a surging idle, rhythmically goes from 500 to 800 then drops back, very consistent and probably about a 2 second cycle period. Also am now getting a P0340 Camshaft sensor circuit message. I suspect this is more likely to be a vacuum leak having just dropped the cradle down to replace the rack. Any ideas?
    Its quite possible you've broken or unplugged the cam sensor when lowering the cradle. It's on the right head close to the coolant recovery tank. I'm not sure it's causing the idle, that sounds like a vacuum leak but it would be the cause of the p0340 code.

Makes sense, I had to move the coolant recovery tank to replace the passenger side motor mount. I remember now from studding my engine where the sensor is. Thanks, will check it when it stops raining and post result. I agree also, idle likely to be either vacuum, induction or possible IAC related. The car does fine off idle.

Replaced the cam pos sensor because plug was broken and idle normally now. So, apparently idle hunting up and down can indeed be caused by a bad cam pos sensor. For the benefit of future searchers. Thanks to everyone who posted on my thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.