00 DHS car can't reverse up steep drive and clunks when go into drive... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 00 DHS car can't reverse up steep drive and clunks when go into drive... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The bolts go straight through the mounting holes in the rack. They're part of the rack housing, not repairable....
    MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The bolts go straight through the mounting holes in the rack. They're part of the rack housing, not repairable.

jimsbox is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

Re: 00 DHS car can't reverse up steep drive and clunks when go into drive...

I guess its time to abandon hope and buy another rack if it is broken... still better than a bad trans though.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The bolts go straight through the mounting holes in the rack. They're part of the rack housing, not repairable.
    Well that all depends. If it's got the steel strap like pictured on previous page, it's possible.

Jim, how good are you with that welder?
    I fixed 2 with a weld & a bent piece of flat stock.
    There is enough bolt sticking out to get a nut on to hold the flat stock.
    Do not get it too hot while welding.

Let me add- I've been professionally rigging stuff for 30 years and am able to determine what will work and what will not.
    If you are not confident or comfortable with this repair or a novice welder, do not try it.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    Well that all depends. If it's got the steel strap like pictured on previous page, it's possible.

Jim, how good are you with that welder?
    I fixed 2 with a weld & a bent piece of flat stock.
    There is enough bolt sticking out to get a nut on to hold the flat stock.
    Do not get it too hot while welding.

Let me add- I've been professionally rigging stuff for 30 years and am able to determine what will work and what will not.
    If you are not confident or comfortable with this repair or a novice welder, do not try it.
    ---------------------------------
    NO WAY should a rack be jury-rigged -

just think of what would happen at 60MPH WHEN that patch-job fails -

killing yourself is YOUR business -

putting those around you in danger is just plain dumb -

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    ---------------------------------
    NO WAY should a rack be jury-rigged -

just think of what would happen at 60MPH WHEN that patch-job fails -

killing yourself is YOUR business -

putting those around you in danger is just plain dumb -
    Says you.
    Those straps are known for cracking. After I made those repairs, they were stronger than original.

Some people choose not to spend tons of money and lots of time by fixing something if they are capable.
    I did say not to do it if you're not qualified.

I must commend you, though.
    A man has got to know his limitations and it appears you do.

Again, no straps, the mounts are aluminum "ears" that are part of the rack housing.

Here is the passenger side of my rack after the mount cracked off. In my case, it tore a big enough chunk out of the housing to create a hole:

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Again, no straps, the mounts are aluminum "ears" that are part of the rack housing.
    The pics are a little unclear.
    One of the cars I made the repair on was my personal STS like yours. Had no sign of breakage after a year.
    I guess it is possible there were 2 styles of racks but mine & the other had the steel like the pic on the previous page.

I quickly jacked the car up after having it towed home, and took a quick video of the movement of the rack, those are vid caps, and everything was covered in power steering fluid. so not the best quality.

The replacement is the best available through the dealer (new is no longer available, and there are 2 or 3 rebuilts labeled AC Delco IIRC), it's a rebuilt OE unit. I unboxed it before having it installed, to see what the undamaged mount looked like, and don't remember a strap .

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    Says you.
    Those straps are known for cracking. After I made those repairs, they were stronger than original.

Some people choose not to spend tons of money and lots of time by fixing something if they are capable.
    I did say not to do it if you're not qualified.

--------------------

oh - VERY clever -

and THIS - from one of YOUR previous posts -

^ Touché!

You remind me of my grandfather. His philosophy was, "Talk LOUDER than the other guy and you will be right."
    I can almost hear his voice when I read your posts.

Basscat,

You are nearly insulting in your tone, you seem to assume I am an unthinking moron that doesn't have the sense to come in out of the rain. I have no need to be lectured. If you have something constructive to offer I will be glad to hear it, otherwise please keep the hysteria to yourself.

To the rest of you, thanks, you were right, the strap broke. It looks repairable but I am getting a yard rack to replace it, the car has 390,000 miles and I just want to get another 50 to 100,000 out of it. I will try to take a picture or two of it when done. The passenger side inner tie rod was actually bent into an arc. I will hang onto it, can always weld it and replace the tie rod in a pinch. I'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsbox
    Basscat,

You are nearly insulting in your tone, you seem to assume I am an unthinking moron that doesn't have the sense to come in out of the rain. I have no need to be lectured. If you have something constructive to offer I will be glad to hear it, otherwise please keep the hysteria to yourself.
    ??? basscatt only responded to you directly, once:

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt
    I did notice the driver side tire toed out when the passenger side is straight
    so you either gave a broken tie rod -
    or a broken rack -

DO NOT TRY TO DRIVE THE CAR -
    you just might find yourself unable to steer/control it -
    have it towed in / inspected / repaired /
    How was that insulting or belittling?

Holy crap! 390K?
    Good luck on your repair & glad I could point you in the right direction.

I made the original suggestion about welding the strap. He has no idea what my skills and experience are, yet he refers to the notion, even if to Aztec as jury rigging and dumb not to mention killing myself and anyone in my proximity. Does he think I am 16 years old? I am currently welding in new cab corners on my truck. Is that jury rigging and dumb because I could just buy a new cab. I assert having now insspected the defective part that it can indeed be welded safely. I appreciate advice and input but alarmism does no one any good.

Well the yard rack was missing the backlash adjuster and I was going to install the one out of my old rack but I found grit in it so I returned it and am going with a rebuilt unit. Lost too much time on this problem.

Finally, I have nothing against Basscat and I appreciate his concern but I still don't like the tone of the post.

One more thing that should have been mentioned if you're changing it yourself- Don't allow the wheel to turn at all while the rack is out or you will break the clockspring. (just incase you weren't aware)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.