Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i use PF61 delco filters and Shell 5w30 dino oil that comes out the tap here i would suggest that ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum

i use PF61 delco filters and Shell 5w30 dino oil that comes out the tap here

i would suggest that you use any oil (in 5w30) and filter (that fits and is correct for your car)

as long as you stick to doing your oil changes on time (before the OLM hits 0%) you will be just fine
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

In my Deville I currently use Valvoline Nextgen 50% recycled 5W-30W, because I got a great deal on it when my Napa store couldn't give it away and decided to make the shelf space availiable for something they could move. It's actually one of the best oils you can buy. So I got a ton of it for under $3 a quart. For a Filter I always use the Bosch Distance Plus Sythetic because it's the best priced filter (at Vhato Zone) in the top-tier class.

In my wifes mail route Sunbird which has flat-tappet style camshaft followers I use Quaker State DEFY because it's high Zinc along with the Bosch filters. I bought a ton of it when Advance recently put it on sale for less than Amazon. I've used a lot of Delco filters on this one.

In my 8.1 liter Silverado I use what-ever good sythetic oil is on sale. Lot's of good filters.

In our LS1 Firehawk I use what-ever good sythetic oil is on sale. Lot's of good filters.

The Cad has under 140K on it but all of the others are over 170K with many near 200K. The engines are still in excellent working condition. I never use over-priced boutique oils, ever, just name brand sythetics or premium conventionals.

If you think I'm not serious enough or don't have a clue I laugh because I keep my cars forever and don't have failures just like Sub. I work at a garage where there's a quick lube on the property and see guys spend hundreds on oil changes yet never keep anything more than 3-4 years or if they do they still don't have 60K on there car show toy. Are my engines more worn than theirs? Who cares, they aren't worn out.

Here, read this: http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35731 See where Royal Purple ends up, the more it costs the better it has to be right? Right.

Vernon

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quickly ................................. What weight of engine oil has Ford been using in their standard duty cars and light trucks since at least 2003 ???

Play with this and all the links at the bottom of the page - it's just like any other product sheet from any other refiner/blender.

http://www.pennzoil.com/learn-about-...FaQ7OgodUDcAVQ

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
    Here, read this: http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35731 See where Royal Purple ends up, the more it costs the better it has to be right? Right.

Vernon
    Royal Purple costs just as much as Mobile 1 (at least in my area), and within a dollar of the other synthetics. I'm not one who believes "the more it costs the better it has to be", it's just my preference. In reality, over the course of time I'll own any particular vehicle I'll use it in, it'll probably make very, very little, to no difference in the longevity of the engine, and I don't suggest otherwise:
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    There's plenty of oil threads here already, do a search. Yes, synthetic oil is technically better, but your engine does not need it. Educate yourself on what applications and under what conditions synthetic is beneficial, then decide if you want to spend the extra money.

For a pre '00 flat tappet valvetrain, you may want to look into HD/fleet oils with higher zinc levels.

...Or, go to the parts store, knock all the 10W-30 oils off of the shelf, and buy the ones pointing at you. They'll work fine.

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Royal Purple costs just as much as Mobile 1 (at least in my area), and within a dollar of the other synthetics. I'm not one who believes "the more it costs the better it has to be", it's just my preference. In reality, over the course of time I'll own any particular vehicle I'll use it in, it'll probably make very, very little, to no difference in the longevity of the engine, and I don't suggest otherwise:
    I'm thinking more about the people who specify it here at work, where it doubles the cost of the oil change. But that said you get a better break on RP than we do being 20 miles from Porter TX where they are and bottle the stuff. It's about $3 more a quart here last time I looked years ago.

Love the last part, wish I could quote your qoute.

Vernon

Tonyny is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 DTS

I wasn't suggesting they'd be able to answer your question (they'd just suggest the oil and filter that's available at a dealer), but since there's a hint of sarcasm in your replies to everyones posts, I figured I'd throw a sarcastic/pointless answer.
    I give back what I receive....I asked what individuals PREFER in their car....you come back with "well GM likes the filter". Since GM makes and sells the filter I didn't think they'd recommend Wix...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    No TECH side of the equation to discuss - Any name brand of oil of whatever type in the recommended viscosity range for your particular engine will insure a long, happy engine life.

Discussing which oil is "better" is exactly the same as the comparisons between tires, whiskey, bottled water, women, gasolines or hand grenades. Everyone has their preferences and endless arguments won't change a thing.
    When you show me where I asked WHICH OIL IS BETTER in my OP I'll acknowledge your point. Since I asked for PREFERENCES I won't.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    i use PF61 delco filters and Shell 5w30 dino oil that comes out the tap here

i would suggest that you use any oil (in 5w30) and filter (that fits and is correct for your car)

as long as you stick to doing your oil changes on time (before the OLM hits 0%) you will be just fine
    Thanks Chris

Tonyny, Your question of "What do you prefer ?" has no answer that will accomplish ANYTHING. From the 19 or so posts in here to date it's patently obvious that different people "prefer" different oils and filters and not one of them is "wrong".

Read the ads, read your owner's manual, make your own decisions and stick with them. No one in here is going to say "George'sSlickStuff" is the best............. because the very next poster will say "You're crazy as a loon: Mary'sSlickerStuff is way better!".

............... and if you'll read my previous post again (#14) you'll find which oil/filter I (currently) prefer. You conveniently missed the end of the first paragraph there, too ........... as in: "recommended .............."

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Tonyny, Your question of "What do you prefer ?" has no answer that will accomplish ANYTHING. From the 19 or so posts in here to date it's patently obvious that different people "prefer" different oils and filters and not one of them is "wrong".

Read the ads, read your owner's manual, make your own decisions and stick with them. No one in here is going to say "George'sSlickStuff" is the best............. because the very next poster will say "You're crazy as a loon: Mary'sSlickerStuff is way better!".
    That's why I was CLEAR in my post about asking for PREFERENCES...not in asking WHICH OIL IS BETTER. Am I typing in Morse Code here?

The only (semi) sarcastic answer you got was "GM does post here.", which I posted directly under my second answer to your original question. You've gotten essentially the same answer from everyone: Oil brand/type does not matter, oil filter brand/type does not matter. The car left the factory, and was designed to operate in and under all conditions on conventional oil, and a standard oil filter, nothing fancy.

Several preferences are posted here, none more meaningful than the others.

No - Very clear. And I answered "Pennzoil Platinum and WIX filters". Others answered with different combinations - so what ?? Where does a litany of every oil refiner/blender and filter manufacturer get you in the long run ???

By and large, everyone prefers different oil and filter combinations - Might that be a reason that there are so many options available ???

Does my current preference change your mind one iota ?? Does basscatt's; or Moist Cabbage ?? Chris gets his oil/filters from his workplace - playing the devil's advocate, is that because he gets a break on the deal ???

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyny

That's why I was CLEAR in my post about asking for PREFERENCES...not in asking WHICH OIL IS BETTER. Am I typing in Morse Code here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyny
    Any value in the Mobil 1 high mileage oil for our cars? Would it matter which I choose?
    If ^^that's^^ not asking specifically which one is better than the other, I'm lost. And neither of those two questions have anything to do with opinion or preference.

Variety is what makes a horse race....is asking for OPINIONS and LIKES taboo here? Like your reference to booze -- what's the harm in asking what people PREFER? If anything it allows me to sample the goods.

Opinions are like certain parts of the human anatomy - everybody has one. In this oil opinion case, your quest for variety and a hook to hang your hat on has no answer.

This thread has no solid answers and no future - good night, all.

If ^^that's^^ not asking specifically which one is better than the other, I'm lost.
    No its asking if its better SUITED to high mileage cars....I need a translator apparently.

You asked if there was an advantage to "Mobil 1 High Mileage oil in "our cars". You said nothing about the mileage on YOUR car. I read it as a general question.

Regardless, mileage is irrelevant.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.