96 Deville coolant problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 96 Deville coolant problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Howdy! First post... 96 Sedan Deville with that overengineered/underengineered Northstar... Have an unusual problem. Top off coolant, and I can ...
    Legendary Thunder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Sedan Deville

96 Deville coolant problem

Howdy! First post...

96 Sedan Deville with that overengineered/underengineered Northstar...

Have an unusual problem. Top off coolant, and I can run anywhere from around town speeds, to 80+ on the highway, temp stays right in range ( 196 around town, 192 on highway) I can run this way for hours... Till I shut it off and restart within 10 minutes...

After I shut it off, temp starts climbing to around 220, and when I restart it it begins blowing coolant from the reserve immediatly, and temp starts to climb rapidly. If I drop it into second gear when at 45 mph, temp drops to normal, and it stops blowing coolant.

Any ideas? Im stumped...

Rich T

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)

Re: 96 Deville coolant problem

Temp rising to 220 after shutdown sounds totally normal. I don't think the fans even kick on at that temp.

I'm not sure about the blowing coolant. Hopefully someone else more versed in Northstar will chime in.
    I am curious, though - How can you tell what's happening at 45 mph and in second gear? Do you have a transparent hood?

Legendary Thunder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Sedan Deville

I keep my spare midget under the hood with a 2-way radio... lol.

I can hear it and feel it when its spewing, and the temp readout tells me the temp drops.

My relays fried years ago, and I replaced it with a hi pro thermostat for the fans with an idiot light mounted under the hood so when I know my fans are cycling. Fans kick on at 200.

I really am stumped...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS's, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille

FULL in the expansion tank is actually about half full -

if you fill it to the top -
    there is no space for the coolant to expand -
    and will "boil-out" -

check your pressure cap -
    be sure it holds 15PSI -

check the water pump belt/tensioner/and idler pulley bearing -
    be sure the belt is tight -

check the PURGE LINE -
    the PURGE LINE is the only way of expelling air from the Northstar cooling system -

it is a 3/8 diameter hose that goes from a hollow bolt in the thermostat/waterpump housing area of the engine - and plugs onto a nipple on the side of the SERGE TANK -

with the engine running - there should be a gentle - constant flow of coolant - from the engine - to the serge tank -

if there is no flow - the most likely cause is a blockage in the hollow bolt -

follow the hose towards the engine - with the engine OFF - remove the hose - use a straightened metal coat hanger - or something similar - and poke it into the hollow bolt -

the coat hanger should go in about 2 1/2 inches -

once the hollow bolt is cleared - you can briefly start the engine to verify coolant flow - be sure to use some sort of container to catch the coolant so you don't make a mess -

check the hose and serge tank for blockage -

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary Thunder View Post
    After I shut it off, temp starts climbing to around 220, and when I restart it it begins blowing coolant from the reserve immediatly, and temp starts to climb rapidly. If I drop it into second gear when at 45 mph, temp drops to normal, and it stops blowing coolant.
    Sounds suspiciously like a bad cap. It's cheap enough that it would be worth replacing it.

8. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.