Muffler fell off 96 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Muffler fell off 96 Deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 96 Deville with the Dual Exhuast & the passenger side muffler appears to have rusted off where ...
    brockweberlcc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Deville

Muffler fell off 96 Deville

I have a 96 Deville with the Dual Exhuast & the passenger side muffler appears to have rusted off where it enters the muffler from the engine. The Y split seems fine, as I can't even see the exact rusted off part due to it being in the muffler. But I also didn't look to hard at it since I was hungover and trying to get home, the final straw was hearing it scrape against a parking lot exit where the lot is about 18 inches higher than the road. Do I simply need to just weld a new muffler to it? What would guys give as rough estimates for the price of the muffler, labor etc...? Thanks.

Also if I buy seperate (which is probably the best [cheapest*] way to go & have the mechanic just weld it on) what muffler do you guys reccommend? I just want the car to sound like it did before. Thanks again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Muffler fell off 96 Deville

Our cars have phony duals with a Y-pipe under the trunk. IF you can find a new system - it's one piece, cat and all - it will run you about $1250. Best bet is to look through the exhaust systems in the RockAuto website (www.rockauto.com), wait for some of the guys to chime in with Magnaflow or other aftermarket choices, or talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac during business hours EDT, over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

It all depends how much metal is left to mount the new muffler. Take it to a muffler shop and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Our cars have phony duals with a Y-pipe under the trunk. IF you can find a new system - it's one piece, cat and all - it will run you about $1250. Best bet is to look through the exhaust systems in the RockAuto website (www.rockauto.com), wait for some of the guys to chime in with Magnaflow or other aftermarket choices, or talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac during business hours EDT, over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Why would I need a whole new system? Plenty of auto parts stores like rockauto that you listed, sell the mufflers seperate. I don't need the cat or anything, just welded to were the Y-pipe I beleive then it can hang back up.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Why ??? Not that you would "need" the original system - but the cost and availability is a point of reference. Another choice would be to have a GOOD exhaust shop bend up a new cat-back.

I don't see the point of replacing the whole system when all I need is a $50 muffler welded onto it. I was more curious as what would people suggest I buy, like would this be close to OEM? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...9_0_1562_13851

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Whatever you do, save as much of the original piping as possible. If there isnt enough left, get a short stepped section (OD of the pipe on one end, ID of the muffler inlet on the other) to attach to it. When it comes to corrosion, aftermarket pipes NEVER last as long as the originals for some reason...

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by brockweberlcc View Post
    I don't see the point of replacing the whole system when all I need is a $50 muffler welded onto it.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. Remember, the rest of the exhaust system has been under the car just as long as that muffler has and has been subjected to the same amount or rain, snow and salt. You need to get it up and have it inspected, but be prepared. You might not like what you hear.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.