Oil leak around rear exhaust manifold?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Oil leak around rear exhaust manifold? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 2003 DeVille DHS, 127K miles. Went to do an oil change today and I knew I had an oil leak ...
    redfishsc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 DHS

Oil leak around rear exhaust manifold?

2003 DeVille DHS, 127K miles.

Went to do an oil change today and I knew I had an oil leak on the oil pan, but because you have to drop the transmission in the Caddy, your truck, and your lawnmower just to access it, I'm not going to bother for now, it's only an annoying drip.

However, there seems to be oil also dripping ONTO the oil pressure switch. I can see some oil creep on the sides of spots over the top of it. If I shine a flashlight up behind it, where I can see the exhaust manifold, there is some oil creep around the manifold on the passenger's side, and oil creep all over what appears to be the AC compressor.

I do suspect the oil filter adapter gasket is leaking as well, since it has a lot more oil creep on it than anything else, but I'm not sure where the oil would be coming from that's getting on the passenger's side exhaust manifold. I'm not even sure how bad this is because there's so much oil creep under the car.

I've wiped everything down and will put it back up on the stands later this evening after putting 50+ miles on it for an afternoon trip down to the beach.

Any suggestions on what might be leaking?

Also, any suggestions on getting the oil filter adapter off to replace the gasket? Looks like only you skinny folk are going to be able to find all the bolts that hold it on there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The only possible leak source above the manifolds are the cam covers.

Two bolts hold on the filter adapter. Not difficult, just a little tight in space.

Re: Oil leak around rear exhaust manifold?

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The only possible leak source above the manifolds are the cam covers.

Two bolts hold on the filter adapter. Not difficult, just a little tight in space.

OK, I do remember seeing the two bolts. I'm not terribly surprised that it's leaking then, that's a fairly large gasket to have only two bolts on it. I was sure there had to be a third one behind where I couldn't see, but apparently not. I'll get a gasket ordered. I had to change the oil today since I have a 1,000 mile trip coming. Next oil change I'll swap out the gasket. Thanks!

I will assume the pressure switch is easier to remove if you've popped the oil filter adapter loose. There seems to be a mount of some sort blocking easy access to the pressure switch. I have a new one based on the suggestion of the last place that changed the oil (they said the switch was leaking). I don't really think it's the switch leaking since I can see oil coming from up on top, but might as well swap it out once I get the oil filter adapter off.

The oil filter adapter uses O rings, not a gasket. 2 bolts is all that's needed for that small of a part.

It's not uncommon for the sensor itself to leak, and yes, it's easier to replace with the adapter removed. Make sure to use an AC Delco replacement. After market ones are known to trigger a false low oil pressure warning.

Well, the one I have is def not an AC-Delco. Thanks for that tidbit though I'll keep it in mind.

O-ring makes sense. There appears to be an aluminum plate in between the oil filter adapter and the block (or whatever part of the motor this is attached to). I was assuming there is a gasket in there somewhere.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Depending on year and turnover date, the oil filter adapter uses EITHER two O-rings or a single "gasket" with the two O-rings molded into it.

Two different animals, and you are right in the changeover year group.

Talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>>>>>> tomorrow morning, EDT. Have your VIN in hand.

The torque on the adapter bolts is 12 lb/ft. Pre-fill the filter - you'll lose at least a half quart of oil during the change. Keep the oil level at the bottom half of the hashmark. < == ADD XXXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE ===============oo==============O

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The '03 does not use O rings. It uses an aluminum plate with the O rings molded onto the plate. Can't find a picture of it and I'm not sure what year they made the switch.

EDIT:
    Oops! Sub beat me to it.

I definitely have the aluminum plate, I can see it.

I also do, already, fill my oil the way you showed it, keeping it on the bottom third or so of the stick, otherwise it just burns it off quickly.

So in removing the oil filter adapter, I'll only lose in the ball park of a half quart or more? That's good news since I had to do the oil change today and I may try to swap the gasket out in the coming month or so.

I appreciate the help y'all!!

Deleted.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by redfishsc View Post
    So in removing the oil filter adapter, I'll only lose in the ball park of a half quart or more?
    Probably not even that much if you are careful and do not empty the filter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.