Blown Head Gasket (HG)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Blown Head Gasket (HG) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; May I start off by saying that at this time I do not own a Cadillac but am looking for ...
    halls51 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none yet

Blown Head Gasket (HG)

May I start off by saying that at this time I do not own a Cadillac but am looking for one. Don't think I introduced myself yet, I have been lurking for quite some time. I can see that there is a lot of experience on this board daily and I really need some from time to time. Now to the issue at heart. PLEASE don't chastize me for this post as I am only looking for information.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 99 DeVille. It is located about 350-400 miles from my home. It is too expensive to tow it that far. This car (according to the owner) has a blown head gasket. There is no water in the oil and no oil in the water. There is light steam coming from the tailpipe ( don't know if it is coming from one or both remember I have only seen pictures) I have read most of the threads on the forum about fixes in a bottle and I know most of you are against them. However I need to use one that will just allow me to drive the car home where I can fix it properly. That being said, I have found

Steel Seal
    Therma gasket
    Bar's
    Blue Devil (highly not recommended)
    K&W
    Dura Seal
    Thermalweld
    K-seal
    CRC 401232 Permanent Head Gasket & Block Repair with Nanotechnology

Is there any good that can be said for any of these products considering that I need them to work for one day for one trip?

As an aside. I have been working on cars since the early 60's and I have noticed that the 4.6l Northstar engine has displacement of 281ci. In my earlier days I rebuilt a Chevy inline 6cyl that had 230ci. When considered with the 283, 327 and 350, the 4.6 doesn't seem like it is a big as the old engines. Just saying that this suprised me as I have just noticed the comparison.......

Again, be gentle with your responses. I am a 65 year old man that just wants to work on this one at home and not 400 miles away.

Thanks for any responses received.

Chuck Hall
    Warner Robins, Georgia

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Blown Head Gasket (HG)

Instead of re-posting info that has been already posted a thousand times in here, Seville, and Northstar Performance, you might want to use the Engines, Northstar Performance forums for research, especially the stickys at the top of the threads page - there are three that specifically address your questions.

Most CF members have a basic attitude - concerning magic potions - "Don't use them: Repair the engine properly". Using hardening sealant products runs the very real risk of permanent damage to the block and cylinder heads - thus creating a good boat anchor.

The exhaust systems on these cars is a set of phony duals - one exhaust pipe from the manifold collector to the Y under the trunk. Vapor can and might come from both pipe tips.

Engine rebuilds - been there, done that with a slew of GM 265's and 283's as well as Ford flatheads. All small engines, and, like a Northstar, all have to wind tight to develop power. Notice that the redline on a stock Northstar is 6,300 rpm. (and the engine you are looking at has the last series of flat-tappet cams - 2000 went to rollers. Any light bulbs here ??? As in: Hold out for a 2000 or later)(No, a 2000 engine will not drop into a '99)

EDIT: Unless the car's head gasket problem(s) is/are advanced terminal you can load the trunk up with coolant and nurse it 400 miles. Not fun, but doable. Even if the engine tells you to shut down due to overheat it won't hurt anything - let it cool, have a Coke, pour in coolant and continue. Long day, but doable.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Chuck, I'm with Sub. I would be very leery about putting ANY of that crap into an engine that I wanted save and last me a while.

Again, I join Sub in saying look for a 2000+.

As for that little 281, you'll be amazed the first time you plant your foot on the floor.

SUPER LAC DEVILLE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville
    What's a 281 ?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    He's referring to the Northstar. It's 281 cu inches.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

1 litre = 61.02 cubic inches; 4.6 L = 280.7 c.i. = Little engine that needs to wind up to make power.

I don't know much at all about engines but I thought the Northstar was kinda big, yet underpowered for being a V8

I have my eyes on other Devilles, a 97 and 98 the owners Think they have HG issues bc they get "hot" but doesn't know for sure and they jus want to dump it for $800ea.

Both are in beautiful condition, plus I would be good on some extra parts for a while... I think

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The Northstar pretty small, and is very powerful for an engine designed in the '80's, and released in '93.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by SUPER LAC DEVILLE View Post
    I don't know much at all about engines but I thought the Northstar was kinda big, yet underpowered for being a V8
    Are you talking size or cubic inch displacement? Physical size is kind of large and the C.I.D. is rather small (by V8 standards), but 1 HP per C.I.D. is far from underpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Are you talking size or cubic inch displacement? Physical size is kind of large and the C.I.D. is rather small (by V8 standards), but 1 HP per C.I.D. is far from underpowered.
    Maybe it's jus my transmission

I do have 2codes for TCS and the traction control dash light is on, so is my ABS light, but don't know if that would mean anything

Sometimes it's all VROOOOOOM, but most of the time it's jus vroom

Other Cadillacs I've driven seem to have way more torque

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.