Location to adjust park/neutral switch '93 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Location to adjust park/neutral switch '93 Deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; '93 4 door sedandeville, 4.9 liter, frontwheel drive, about 200,000 miles on it On random basis the SES light comes ...
    Team ZR-1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Question Location to adjust park/neutral switch '93 Deville

'93 4 door sedandeville, 4.9 liter, frontwheel drive, about 200,000 miles on it

On random basis the SES light comes on and trips a error code related to park/neutral switch.

Starts just fine, every time, reverse lights come on when putting shifter into reverse.
    Is a bit stiff using shifter but does go into each gear selection.

I found the shift cable and where the shift arm is on transfer case which is below the exhaust crossover pipe front from exhaust manifold and then about above that is oil filter.

What I understand is there is supposed to be like a 3/32 hole for like a drill bit that loosen park/neutral switch 2 bolts and using drill bit turn housing a bit until drill bit goes into hole fully and that then proper adjusts the switch

Sound correct ?

I would think if it was out of adjustment then problem would occur every time rather then once in awhile and being it starts and using shifter works OK

1. is it possible the switch got some engine oil in it ?
    2. Since exhaust pipe is right above it that heat over time degraded the switch ?

As to adjustment, I see no adjustment hole, does the linkage arm that goes to shift cable have to come off first and then would see this hole ?
    And I see no way to get to the 2 bolts for casing or how shift arm comes off, does the crossover exhaust pipe have to come off ?

Anything else that would trick ECM to think it's the p/n switch at fault ?

Thanks for any advice

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Re: Location to adjust park/neutral switch '93 Deville

Do you have a FSM? I think you have to take the arm off.

No I do not have a GM service manual
    I bought a Caddie service book at auto parts store but it is generic and has nothing for this year/model as to the P/N switch.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com - the GM service manuals plus so much more that you need a home study course to find it all.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

You need a FSM by Helm Inc. or a subscription to alldatadiy as Sub posted. Use the Caddie service book from the auto parts store to sop up coolant, oil and trans fluid spills (it's too stiff to use as toilet paper).

Here.

Not sure why the drawing does not state that the crossover exhaust pipe for this 4.9 L engine is only 2 inches above the P/N casing and no way can get any tools in there to take linkage off and loosen the 2 bolts.

I tried again and you almost cannot even see the bolts

So being the proper gears when shifting, starts fine,every time and reverse light come on I said the heck with it for now and since I do custom tuning I burned a new E-prom and turned off the DTC 91 so the SES light cannot come on.

If shifter then gets worse I would have to fight to get the 4 exhaust stud nuts off and get the pipe out of the way.

Thanks for all those that replied with help !

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

My 1994 has the same sort of problem. The way the switch outputs it's signal it's possible for it to have a problem but for reverse and everything else to act normally. I've been told that it's a lot more common for the problem to be the switch itself then needing to be adjusted.

The switch is sealed, so if it got oil in that's already a problem. There is an adjustment hole. I couldn't see it either but with the arm off it's like a cut away view and you can see the hole and exactly where it goes just like that picture from the manual. It's there so you can stick a pin in it and adjust it without taking anything apart. On a 94 the exhaust is routed differently so it's a bit easier to get to the part.

I agree as I suspect it is the switch itself that has gone bad.
    Taking a photo at a angle, 1/2 of the switch casing where the nut for linkage and the 2 mounting bolts are hidden with crossover pipe and no room at all to get any tool in there

Being the oil filter is about right above switch and the looks of it over time maybe when oil filter was changed some oil dripped into the switch and then the exhaust pipe heat cooks the switch
    Attached Images

onecool is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Deville
    I belive the hole lines in with shifter in neutral or park I can't remember right now and some times its just a cut away and not always straight across.
    sometimes it's a plastic pin that's sheared off, in that case though it would remain pluged.

Nah, just remove the air cleaner housing to give yourself a little more breathing room. Not that bad.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.