Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1996 Deville 4.6 will crank over but not start help needed

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Clean Jones 
#1 ·
I have a 1996 Sedan Deville 4.6 that will not start unless i spray into the intake. Ok now this is what i have checked so far: Im getting 43 at the fuel injector rail for the fuel pressure. Spark to all plugs are good. I tested the injector pluse with my noid light and they all showed to have power. Now what could be cutting the injector pulse off while trying to start the car? After attempting to start the car several times the fuel pressure never drops even with the fuel pump relay out.

1. Their is no radio in the car.
2. The security light is not on.
3. List of codes:
AC2016
IP2750
PZ2471
PZ2255
PZ1971
TC0023
TC0073
RS0038
OBD P0208

I dont believe that the PCM or the PZM is bad and I dont believe all injectors have gone out at one time. Any information to help me find out whats going will be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Codes are meaningless without their definitions. :noidea:

I have a 1996 Sedan Deville 4.6 that will not start unless i spray into the intake.
THAT can only mean one thing. You are not getting fuel to the cylinders and THAT can only mean fuel pressure or injectors.

OR maybe no idle air. Have you tried starting it with your foot holding the throttle partially (NOT wide open) open?

#3 ·
Ok the fuel pressure to the injectors are good. Have spark from the coils which also are good. I also have injector pulse while cranking engine over. Now my problem is the engine starts then dies right away like something is shutting the injector pulse off before the engine fully starts. If I spray the intake the car runs as long as i spray it. No the security light is not on and the starting system is not disabled but the car does not have a radio installed at this time. The car has been sitting up for about 4 years dead. Have anyone experienced anything like this before and if so i would appreciate any helpful information.

#8 ·
Fuel Pressure: 45 and steady with switch on
Noid Light Test: All are blinking while cranking engine over
Coils: All 8 cylinders are getting spark all the way to plugs

The only problem is the fuel injectors will not spray any fuel! I guess im going to try another set of injectors to see if that will fix my problem. I dont believe it will but I can finally eliminate all 8 bad injectors and move on to looking at something else.

I charged the battery and done the relearn for the security system but the engine still cranks over but will not start. Any information provided will be greatly appreciated.

#12 ·
There are 2 injector fuses. I think they are labeled IGN 1 and IGN 2 if I remember correctly.

Don't waste your time replacing injectors. The chances of all 8 going at once are infinitesimal.

:hmm: Something does not make sense. How can you have fuel pressure, noid light blinking and still have no injector fuel spray?

#13 ·
Ok My Problem Has Been Resolved! Ok like I previously stated I replaced all 8 injectors and the injector rail (due to me breaking it :want:while removing the injectors) and the car started right up. Now for me I didnt believe that all 8 injectors would go bad at one time. I checked the coil resistance on each old injector and it varied between 12.6 ohms -12.8 ohms which showed the injector to be good. What I couldnt do is get the darn injectors to spray, drip, or anything. :cookoo: I thought about the car had been sitting up for 4 years with fuel pressure at the injectors constantly. So all that gas that was loaded in the injector after 4 years of sitting turned into wax(google old gas) and clogged up every darn injector. F.Y.I. If you are going to store your Cadillac for longer than a couple of months REMOVE BATTERY AND RELIEVE FUEL PRESSURE AT THE INJECTOR RAIL IT WILL SAVE YOU IN THE LONG RUN!! Thanks for all the technical information provided it was greatly appreciated:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.