Questions on car repair quotes - 2003 DTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Questions on car repair quotes - 2003 DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The other day I had the "low oil pressure -- stop engine" light come on. I pulled over and noticed ...
    Tonyny is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 DTS

Questions on car repair quotes - 2003 DTS

The other day I had the "low oil pressure -- stop engine" light come on. I pulled over and noticed the oil was low a bit so I added a quart. Haven't seen the light come back on since. On researching the topic I notice many say to replace the oil pressure switch which seems to be a common failure with these cars. Some months back I got stuck in a parking lot. The car wouldn't start. Had it towed to a nearby dealer and left it overnight. Well after a bill of around $460 for replacing the battery and a "short" in the steering wheel I knew why I avoided dealers....Anyway at the time the Caddy dealer did a "road test" and came up with the following suggestions and prices for the work to be done on my car. I have attached this info here to have the forum experience in looking at the work and prices. I plan to have my car taken to a trusted local shop recommended to me for an oil change and to replace the oil pressure switch. I also plan to have this shop look at the items listed by the dealer and get their opinion. I have attached this info here...please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Tony

Image.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Questions on car repair

The labor times and parts pricing are close to either the GM rate books or any of several online sources.

Google the various questions - you'll come up with enough homework to keep you busy for weeks.

2 hours for the front rotors - depends on how much time and parts it takes to get the rotors off - they need to remove the calipers AND mounting brackets.

Valve (cam) cover gaskets are NO easy task - most of the water pump drive system needs to be removed to get the left (front) cover off ...... and an AIR check valve needs to be removed from the right (rear) cover. The AIR pump itself in up inside the LF fenderwell liner. Done at the same time as the LF brake rotor/pads.

EXACTLY what is your definition of "low oil level" ? ......... Which X on this dipstick -

<
    == ADD XXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE ===============oo==========================O

Re: Questions on car repair

It was down to the first x. I need to pay more attention to the oil level and thinking of changing to 10w 30 in thie Florida heat!

Re: Questions on car repair quotes - 2003 DTS

You were not "low".

DO NOT change to 10W-30 - use the recommended 5W-30 year-round in Florida - and, FWIW, at operating temperature (200 - 220 degrees) 5W-30 and 10W-30 have exactly the same viscosity index ............ 5W-30 is used in our roller cam engines; 10W-30 is used in the earlier flat-tappet engines.

Read the Cadillac Technical Archive up ^^^ in the black bar for a LOT of info concerning oil, engine operation, and coolant for a Northstar.

7.5 quarts of oil plus filter puts the oil level here - and that's sort of close to where you want to keep it - any higher up the hashmark can lead to excessive consumption. Read the Archives and the hundreds of posts on just this subject.

Oil level for a FWD Northstar .........

<== ADD XXXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE ============oo====================================O

(Get into your owner's manual - you'll find that 5W-30 is recommended at all times; 10W-30 is permitted for ambient temps above 32F......... and, before anyone asks, use any type oil of any name brand that floats your boat.)

Thanks Sub!

Check my last post for an edit - and look through my 2 albums for many FWD 2000 and later engine diagrams, pics, and work.

The Community tab ^^^, Albums, the red Seville.

Sub is it difficult or involved for the shop to change the oil pressure switch?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    No. A bit tedious if you have larger hands, but an easy job.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

FWIW, I still use 10W30 year round.

The EOP switch is on the oil filter adapter.
    Attached Images

Thanks MC and Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    FWIW, I still use 10W30 year round.

The EOP switch is on the oil filter adapter.
    I missed this the first time around. Not to open up a can of worms but your respected counterpart in this very thread says to stick with 5w30 and gives his reasons why. The place I'm getting the oil change at allows me to bring my own supplies and before I spring for the wrong grade of oil I'd like to hear your reasoning.
    Thanks

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

I wouldn't get any of that stuff done accept maybe the oil change. Rotor turning is a total ripoff you can get 2 new rotors for $67. It takes about 20 minutes to replace them. If the A/C works, don't mess with it. And who cares about the air injection pump. Also I'd put a quart of oil in a month before I did any of the engine work they suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyny View Post
    I missed this the first time around. Not to open up a can of worms but your respected counterpart in this very thread says to stick with 5w30 and gives his reasons why. The place I'm getting the oil change at allows me to bring my own supplies and before I spring for the wrong grade of oil I'd like to hear your reasoning.
    Thanks
    Because Ranger likes to use 10W-30 in his car - HIS car. I use 5W-30 in MY car and neither of us has any lubrication problems.

Once again, when all else fails, read your owner's manual - as well as the recommended articles up in the Cadillac Technical Archive.

............ and read the last sentence in post #4.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyny View Post
    Thanks
    If you look at your owners manual you will see that even IT says you can use 10W30 in warmer temps. My personal belief is that GM went to 5W30 only to satisfy CAFE and the tree huggers. Left to their own devices, I suspect they would have stuck with 10W30. When I asked a GM powertrain engineer about this theory, he pretty much confirmed it without actually saying so. I've never had a problem with 10W30 down to -27F. 5W is just too thin for MY liking and for the aforementioned reasons, I prefer to not use it. That said, no one has problems with 5W either. It's pretty much a personal choice.

Yep - I'll bet the CAFE thing is a big reason for the change - theoretically a 5W- oil would have less drag during cold starts so it would theoretically increase gas mileage for some period during oil warmup - and when a car manufacturer is playing the EPA, government and corporate numbers games, any "good" changes are trumpeted so loudly that they appear to be a breakthrough.

Corporate Average Fuel Economy - regulatory legislation forcing the car makers to raise fuel mileage across the entire production fleet - If a factory production speed bomb gets 16 mpg, then some same brand econobox has to get ..... 36 mpg ....... to offset the gas guzzler - corporate-wise. 16 mpg + 36 mpg ÷ 2 = 26 mpg average. (More government numbers games to make the greenies and tree huggers feel all warm and fuzzy.)

Remember: When it's all warmed up and running, both multigrade oils under discussion operate like 30W oil.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.