Not starting issue - won't crank.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Not starting issue - won't crank. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi there, For the last few weeks, I had to play with lights before starting the car. Turn over keys, ...
    MuRCieLaGo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DeVille 2001

Not starting issue - won't crank.

Hi there,

For the last few weeks, I had to play with lights before starting the car. Turn over keys, strange things like that, and it would start.

This morning was different. No way to start the car, with both keys (master and Valet).

I've tried unplugging the battery for 10 seconds (while pushing brake pedal), won't start.

I've tried unplugging battery for 15 minutes, it started. So I let it idle for 30 seconds and restarted it, successful. Stopped it and started it again and it still cranked #1!

So by the time I put back the rear seats and put tools back to their place, the car still won't start. No way to start it, again. Tried spraying M-55 in key hole, without success.

I've tried searching but this common issue seems to be a mystery to all of us.

Anyone has the key to success?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Slknyk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

Re: Not starting issue - won't crank.

No mystery to me. As I stated in response to your other post, my car did the EXACT same thing as yours - complete with the same codes.

I would put my money on your solenoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Slknyk View Post
    No mystery to me. As I stated in response to your other post, my car did the EXACT same thing as yours - complete with the same codes.

I would put my money on your solenoid.
    Hey Slknyk,

First of all, thanks a lot for your pm! I really appreciate it!

I'm not sure I got the same problem than you, however I'm gonna buy a starter from a salvage tomorrow.

You told me that changing starter it was a piece of cake. I called GM and they told me that it's below the intake manifold. I've also read that (like you said) it's below the engine, driver's side and it's easy to access. I've jacked the car and saw nothing but oil pan and usual stuff like that.

As I said in my post in this thread, when I unplugged the battery 15 minutes, I could start the car 3 times.

Slknyk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

Search for starter replacement and you'll find tons of helpful hints. It's not under the car (which is kind of nice), it's under the intake manifold.

I did all of that battery stuff, turning the key over, wd-40 in the ignition, etc., as well. My car would start sometimes, sometimes not. Not until I youtubed starter solenoid operation did I realize that the solenoid does more than act as a "big" relay.

I'm not a mechanic, but can be a pretty good "parts replacer". This job took me about 1.5 hours and I haven't had a problem since. If you decide to swap starters, let me know. I think I can remember the tools I used - which wasn't that many.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Please update your profile to show your year and model. That will go a LONG way in us being able to help you. If you have a Northstar, the starter is in the valley under the intake manifold.

You need to define no start. Does the engine crank, but does not start? Does the engine crank slowly and does not start? Does it not crank, but you hear a clicking? Is it dead silence?
    Attached Images

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Turning the key over, and spraying oil into the lock cylinder, will do nothing.

From another thread you posted in:
    Quote Originally Posted by MuRCieLaGo
    I tried boosting it with my other car which was running, without success. Battery has a steady 12.0V, according to the digital dash.
    12.0 volts is essentially dead. A fully charged, healthy 12 bolt battery, puts out ~12.6 volts.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

12v should crank. Am I the only one that's ever seen a loose starter cable nut? Seen several. Pull on the cable that goes under the plenum when someone else turns key & see if it cranks.

No. I can recall a few here, but they're not all that common.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    No. I can recall a few here, but they're not all that common.
    A few is more than none.
    For whatever reason, N*'s are the only motors where I've seen the nut loosen.

I own a DeVille 2001. Will change profile ASAP.

Update: I forgot to try my remote control. I tried it tonight, worked at first, and then now it doesn't work. So it can't be ignition control (or even security I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by Slknyk View Post
    Search for starter replacement and you'll find tons of helpful hints. It's not under the car (which is kind of nice), it's under the intake manifold.

I did all of that battery stuff, turning the key over, wd-40 in the ignition, etc., as well. My car would start sometimes, sometimes not. Not until I youtubed starter solenoid operation did I realize that the solenoid does more than act as a "big" relay.

I'm not a mechanic, but can be a pretty good "parts replacer". This job took me about 1.5 hours and I haven't had a problem since. If you decide to swap starters, let me know. I think I can remember the tools I used - which wasn't that many.
    Thank you and that's the first thing I'm gonna try tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Please update your profile to show your year and model. That will go a LONG way in us being able to help you. If you have a Northstar, the starter is in the valley under the intake manifold.

You need to define no start. Does the engine crank, but does not start? Does the engine crank slowly and does not start? Does it not crank, but you hear a clicking? Is it dead silence?
    I remove rear seats, so I hear a lot of clicks (maybe 5-6) when I put my key from ACC to ON. Tried switching relays, without success. So relays must be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Turning the key over, and spraying oil into the lock cylinder, will do nothing.

From another thread you posted in:12.0 volts is essentially dead. A fully charged, healthy 12 bolt battery, puts out ~12.6 volts.
    Tried boosting the battery, the dash will show something like 13.6V and it doesn't help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    12v should crank. Am I the only one that's ever seen a loose starter cable nut? Seen several. Pull on the cable that goes under the plenum when someone else turns key & see if it cranks.
    I've seen a (barely) loose nut on the negative battery cable so i tightened it. I will see tomorrow if my starter has a loose nut.

Thanks a lot guys!

Quote Originally Posted by MuRCieLaGo View Post
    I've seen a (barely) loose nut on the negative battery cable so i tightened it. I will see tomorrow if my starter has a loose nut.
    The nut I'm talkin about is not visible. It's on the starter under the plenum.

It's the red cable in post #5 (nut is not visible).

Caddiction Sufferer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 DeVille (prev '69 Coupe & '75 Sedan Devilles)

My 2000 DeVille Base had a similar problem. All of the auxiliary powered items would work, and if I recall correctly, I would hear a single click from under the hood and then silence when I would turn the key to try and start the engine. The problem ended up being a bad ground connection from the motor to the frame. I used an extra negative ground battery cable that I had sitting around, and bolted the tab/eyelet end of it to the top of the thermostat housing, removing a bolt that was holding some bracket in place, and placing the ground cable eyelet tab between the housing and base of the bracket before reinserting the bolt. I then hacked off one side of the "U" shaped battery post clamp on the end of the cable so that I could stick a bolt through it and attach it to the frame, which I did with one of the existing bolts that I think was used for holding the radiator support to the frame. I had to drill/bore out the hole in the battery terminal end of the ground cable to accommodate the diameter of the existing bolt, but that metal is so soft that it didn't even require a special drill bit. It took me longer to poke around and decide where to mount the new ground cable than it did to actually install it. Once I did, the car started right up.

I've read other posts that explain that the motor mounts tend to wear out, thereby giving way to unintended movement of the engine block, which puts stress on the original factory mounted ground cable connection to the engine block, causing it and/or the cable itself to weaken, loosen and fail. This shed light on another issue I am having, which is a bit of a "lurch," for lack of a better description, when I start out quickly in first gear (it doesn't happen if I start out slowly, or even normally.). At first I thought that perhaps my transmission was slipping, but now I wonder if it is simply the engine block sitting loosely due to worn out motor mounts.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    You say engine movement wrecked existing ground cable to motor? Where is this cable? Where does it attach to motor and where does it touch frame? Why not fix it instead of putting new different cable on?

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    You say engine movement wrecked existing ground cable to motor? Where is this cable? Where does it attach to motor and where does it touch frame? Why not fix it instead of putting new different cable on?
    x2, thanks for the info Caddiction Sufferer but where is that ground cable?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.