engine 4.5 or 4.9 help 1990
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, engine 4.5 or 4.9 help 1990 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey Guys I am a newbie so please correct me or direct me if I am in wrong section. I ...
    LuvTap is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

engine 4.5 or 4.9 help 1990

Hey Guys I am a newbie so please correct me or direct me if I am in wrong section. I have a question I am trying to help my brother-in-law with his 1990 cadilac deville his 4.5 engine is blown and he found a 4.9 engine (not sure of the year) at a very resonable price. My questions is could the 4.9 be used in the 1990 model to replace the 4.5 engine or are there too many complications,like motor mounts, electronics, inigtion etc. I am sure somone probably answered this years ago but I dont know where to look for the answer. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: engine 4.5 or 4.9 help 1990

Welcome! His car is FWD, so I'll move this over to the correct section for you.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    It's possible, but yes, other things would have to be changed as well. Unless you want to take the opportunity to upgrade, I'd just look for a 4.5. They're plentiful and cheap.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

I wouldn't go that far... The '90 4.5 was a one year only engine, and last I looked 4-5 years ago, they were getting scarce. I can't imagine what it would take to find a good example of one now - 23 years after that one year production!

You could actually PROBABLY make it work with little effort. Just about the entire engine is identical, with the exception of the rods, crank, and pistons. Block, heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, and just about everything else that bolts to the exterior of the engine (except for the extra 3 #/hr injectors, A.I.R. pump and piping which could be swapped over or eliminated, and the missing detent cable provision on the throttle body that you'd have to swap over) is identical. The PCM hardware (motherboard, plugs, case) is also identical, though I'm not sure how the 4.9 would run on a 4.5 EPROM (the displacement is greater, but so is the injector flow rate, so that would make an interesting experiment). I wouldn't think you'd be able to run a 4.9 EPROM since it would expect the newer 4T60E trans there, but who knows...

Of course, you should still do your homework, and if you attempt, still expect some hangups - just in case. For a better source for both the 4.X engines (and the N* for that matter), as well as GM PCM operation, check out Pennocks Fiero Forum.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Only the injection system is one year only. The long block will swap from any 4.5z

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

The heads (valve size, combustion chamber shape/size, port shape/sizes), rods, and pistons are very different on the TBI engines relative to the PFI variants... I'm not sure you can even get a PFI intake manifold to seal on TBI heads, but if you could, I'm not sure how well it would work.

The 4.5 PFI longblock is near identical to the 4.9, but very different from the earlier TBI 4.5

The only options here will be with the PFI engines.

LuvTap is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Welcome! His car is FWD, so I'll move this over to the correct section for you.
    THANKS much appreciated

VEGASELDO91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ELDORADO (R.I.P.); 1995 Sedan Deville

Just curious; but how did the engine blow?

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

I've seen the 90 4.5 in 1988/89 cars before and done as a normal engine swap so it should be easier to use a 4.5 then make a 4.9 work. I don't know if the computer is smart enough to automatically adjust for the displacement difference or if it would starve the bigger engine and cause other problems because it's strictly calibrated for the 4.5.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.