Help me decide: 1992 Fleetwood Sixty Special or 1995 Fleetwood Brougham
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Help me decide: 1992 Fleetwood Sixty Special or 1995 Fleetwood Brougham in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey Guys, ok now this is getting tougher every day... on the one hand i have a '92 Fleetwood Sixty ...
    DReffects is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sixty Special 4.9l V8, '01 Sebring Convertible, '13 300C

Help me decide: 1992 Fleetwood Sixty Special or 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

Hey Guys,

ok now this is getting tougher every day... on the one hand i have a '92 Fleetwood Sixty Special with those fantastic 22-way heated seats, 4.9 Liter V8 FWD in Epic Black with gray leather:

Seller states that it is in awesome condition, only 40.000 miles. Downside: it wasn't registered and used for the past 2 years and - according to the seller - some "inspection effort has to be made" plus new tires. Asking-Price is 7.700 USD (i reside in germany, kinda tough to even find a fleetwood^^)

--------------------

On the other hand I am looking at a '95 Fleetwood Brougham with the mighty LT1 V8 engine, RWD, 100.000 Miles, towing package. According to the seller everything is in near-new perfect condition, Chrome and paint is amazing, rims not a scratch, car was never driven in the winter etc pp. Nothing needs to be done, just go and drive. He's asking for 16.127 USD (please remember that i am in germany...)

So i am torn between both cars... on the one side the more than just exclusive sixy special with those cool seats and low mileage, on the other the mighty corvette engine, larger body frame, yet less cool seats plus a hefty price tag. what do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Re: Please help me decide: 1992 Fleetwood Sixty Special or 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

'92 Fleetwood Sixty Special 4.9 Liter V8 FWD in Epic Black with gray leather:
    Would be my first pick. But
    They had transmission issues - They made improvements in 1994 - they are not easy to work on if it get serious under the hood.

'95 Fleetwood Brougham with the mighty LT1 V8 engine, RWD
    From a Mechanics view this one will be easier to live with. It also has many improvements. it evolved from the 1992 models
    But FWD would be better for the real world.

Guess I would take the 1995 Fleetwood Brougham
    But I would not pay that much for it.

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Re: Please help me decide: 1992 Fleetwood Sixty Special or 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

Fleetwood Brougham without any need to think about it. I almost told you to look for one in your previous post. I just spent some time driving an '95 Buick Roadmaster (same as the Fleetwood Brougham). I overhauled it quite a bit for my oldest son who bought it from an senoir uncle. It's twice as easy to work on and twice as durable to begin with. That car with the right touch is a monster. It would stay right with my good running Northstar Deville in a sprint race and with the suspension work I did to it will leave my Deville in the dust in the turns. The only places my Deville over shadows the Buick is fuel efficiency, by about 11 MPG, and bad weather driving due to the FWD vs. RWD thing. I haven't gone through with the planned suspension work on my Deville yet so it's possible with better springs and dampeners I could keep up with the B-body but as of right now the Buick is a bully to the Cadillac. If you get the Brougham look me up on ImpalaSS.com and I'll give you the tips and tricks for low budget Autobaughn blasting in a Fleetwood Brougham. This is still with a nice ride. The aftermarket is rich for the RWD and non-existent with the FWD. I actually used Fleetwood front springs and sway-bars on the Buick so you're already ahead of the game if you get that car.

Vernon

Mr.electric is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville
    Why not get something newer. For 12-16k you could get an a 2005 or newer. Like a dts or sts. I have found age to be almost as damaging as mileage. An old car with low miles will still have oil leaks, electrical problems etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.electric View Post
    Why not get something newer. For 12-16k you could get an a 2005 or newer. Like a dts or sts. I have found age to be almost as damaging as mileage. An old car with low miles will still have oil leaks, electrical problems etc.
    Well, i can get a dts or sts for half the price. but that's not the point - i'd like to get one of them old caddys with the huge frame, v8 power and massive seats^^

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
    Both are nice cars & appear to be in great shape.

It is a tough choice to pick between the 2.

I personally like the RWD caddys a little more, but in this situation I would have to vote for the 60 special due to how rare they are.

Also try to negotiate the price a little.

Good luck on your purchase.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Of course, either one will be pretty rare in Germany.

----------

I'd be more interested in any one of those three in the garage behind

Quote Originally Posted by DReffects View Post

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by DReffects

Well, i can get a dts or sts for half the price. but that's not the point - i'd like to get one of them old caddys with the huge frame, v8 power and massive seats^^
    Then you want a RWD Fleetwood. The FWD has no "frame", and is far from "massive".

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Then you want a RWD Fleetwood. The FWD has no "frame", and is far from "massive".
    Well, it's 40 inches longer than your regular german car i currently drive a 2012 chrysler 300 - this car is considered HUGE in Germany - up to a point where you get a "omg you stupid idiot" kinda look. the '92 fleetwood's already a couple of inches longer that the 300, the 94-96 fleetwood could be used to conquer a small country over here But yes, I see your point

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    On the outside, the FWD Fleetwood is longer than your Chrysler, but it has a relatively long nose and rear. It's also narrower. The interior is smaller than you'd think. The RWD Fleetwood is a much roomier car, and on the outside, dimensions aside, just has more presence. They're also more "stereotypically Cadillac". Huge, floaty, vault quiet, RWD, body on frame, imposing... If that's what you're going for.

I do like Sixty Specials, and the Ultra package with those seats is cool, but I think overall, I'd pick the RWD... As long as it won't bee too difficult to fit it on the streets you drive on.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    On the outside, the FWD Fleetwood is longer than your Chrysler, but it has a relatively long nose and rear. It's also narrower. The interior is smaller than you'd think. The RWD Fleetwood is a much roomier car, and on the outside, dimensions aside, just base more presence. They're also more "stereotypically Cadillac". Huge, floaty, vault quiet, RWD, body on frame, imposing... If that's what you're going for.

I do like Sixty Specials, and the Ultra package with those seats is cool, but I think overall, I'd pick the RWD... As long as it won't bee too difficult to fit it in the streets you drive on.
    Imposing i guess is the key word. I've recently looked at a '91 fleetwood base model and was quite impressed with the handling. both cars are around a 4-5 hour drive away from me, i'll first take a look at the '95 fleetwood then thanks for all your input!

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: Help me decide: 1992 Fleetwood Sixty Special or 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

Both those cars look nice. If it was any other Deville or Fleetwood from that 92 body style I'd immediately say go with the big Fleetwood but Sixty Special is different and more rare.

Really you need to drive both cars and see which one you like better. Even tho they are both Cadillacs they are two completely different cars. The Sixty special also has more options like those seats and the gas mileage readouts. But the big Fleetwood will be more reliable and easier to get parts for. There is no way I'd pay that much for it tho. For the price difference you could rebuild the Sixty Special if you had to.

calvin ar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 devill

I would love to have a brougham and this one is nice to bad it is in germany or i would make your life easier and it would be gone. lol
    the fleetwood is a better car if you are worried about mpg but parts can be harder to find. the transmishion problems do not tend to happen if you do regular filter and fluid changes.
    so wish i had your problem right now

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Depends on what is harder to get parts for, not just engine parts either. It is getting near impossible to find a Brougham where I live that hasn't been modified to the point of no return without spending tons of money on it. I never see them in the junkyard anymore. I never have seen a 60 Special in the junkyard either for that matter, so it's half dozen to 6 in that respect. There were a lot less 60 Specials made, and even less with the seats that car has, so that is something to consider. Pretty tough decision but the low miles and lower price would appeal to me slightly in this case. If you do go with the 60 Special, get those tires changed out for a nice set of whitewalls.

EP_71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Dear DReffects,

What have you done with it, what was your decision? I really would like to know. Unfortunately I just read this thread and really like to know about your decision because I own a very nice and original 60 Special Fleetwood '91 and while searching for it, I looked and have test-driven some big RWD Fleetwoods as well. My choice would be definitely the 60 Special in your case (like I also did last year), so therefore I'd really like to hear about the result.

Regards

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.