Driver-Side A/C Vent Keeps Closing
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Driver-Side A/C Vent Keeps Closing in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Like the title states, I'm having a problem where my driver-side A/C vent keeps flipping shut as I go down ...
    Black Beauty DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Deville DTS

Driver-Side A/C Vent Keeps Closing

Like the title states, I'm having a problem where my driver-side A/C vent keeps flipping shut as I go down really bad bumpy roads. I mean it doesn't take much vibration to make the vent close shut. So is there any way in which to remove the A/C vent from the dash, without removing the whole dash? Also, does the vent have a spring-loaded mechanism to keep it open?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Re: Driver-Side A/C Vent Keeps Closing

The registers snap out of the vents, in fact that's one of the first steps in removing dash panels as the screws are hidden behind them. It is a PITA to figure out how this is done the first time. Look into the registers with a pen light. On the bottom edge there are two catches, tongue & groove type. You'll need two right angle type pic tools to get under the tongue and twist so it is lifted up, this allows the register to be pulled strait out. The best type of pick has a short tip with a couple of 45's to make a gradual 90, this gives you the best bite and leverage. Professional pick-sets only come with one. It almost takes three hands but once you get it down it's a twenty second deal. I recommend you go to a Pick-n-Pull and practice on the other vents until you have the technique down then get the one you need that's still good, there's no spring so just find one that's still working. Do yours last so you don't screw anything up.

Vernon

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Inserting a flat tool (starter shim, butter knife, credit card) above and below the vent will release the locking tabs and allow you to remove them. To get at the mechanism that opens and closes them and is controlled by the open/close wheel will require removing the dash cover.

houg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): deville

my 03 deville driver side vent also constantly closes on its own, just the force of the air makes it close

Quote Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic View Post
    The registers snap out of the vents, in fact that's one of the first steps in removing dash panels as the screws are hidden behind them. It is a PITA to figure out how this is done the first time. Look into the registers with a pen light. On the bottom edge there are two catches, tongue & groove type. You'll need two right angle type pic tools to get under the tongue and twist so it is lifted up, this allows the register to be pulled strait out. The best type of pick has a short tip with a couple of 45's to make a gradual 90, this gives you the best bite and leverage. Professional pick-sets only come with one. It almost takes three hands but once you get it down it's a twenty second deal. I recommend you go to a Pick-n-Pull and practice on the other vents until you have the technique down then get the one you need that's still good, there's no spring so just find one that's still working. Do yours last so you don't screw anything up.

Vernon
    Thanks for the detailed info. I'll take a look at it real closely to better understand what you're describing.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Inserting a flat tool (starter shim, butter knife, credit card) above and below the vent will release the locking tabs and allow you to remove them. To get at the mechanism that opens and closes them and is controlled by the open/close wheel will require removing the dash cover.
    So the vent and the open/close wheel are two separate parts? Does the vent have to be removed to disengage the wheel mechanism, before removing the dash cover to access it? Or can the wheel be accessed and serviced just by removing the dash cover without removing the vent? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of this, so that I don't break anything.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by houg View Post
    my 03 deville driver side vent also constantly closes on its own, just the force of the air makes it close
    I think you might be right about that, because I had the A/C going full blast the whole time that I drove it yesterday, and it was shutting way more than it normally does. I must have opened it about 12-15 times which was really annoying.

EDIT: I guess I needed to better understand what Vernon was saying, because the screws are behind the vent registers. So the vent registers would need to be removed to gain access to the screws to remove the cover. Are there any other screws or clips that I need to remove to take the dash cover off?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beauty DTS View Post
    So the vent and the open/close wheel are two separate parts?
    Yes. The vent simply controls air flow direction. There is a door (valve (exactly like the throttle plate)), operated by the control wheel, behind the vent louver that controls flow.

Does the vent have to be removed to disengage the wheel mechanism, before removing the dash cover to access it?
    Yes. there is a hidden mounting bolt behind each vent that needs to be removed in order to remove the dash cover.

Or can the wheel be accessed and serviced just by removing the dash cover without removing the vent?
    No

Are there any other screws or clips that I need to remove to take the dash cover off?
    Yes, 2 or 3 screws in the defroster grill and both B pillar covers need to be removed (they just pull off).

thenaaks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 deville
    Mine was doing the same thing. A business card wedged in beside the wheel and trimmed flush did the trick for me. Been 2 years and hasn't closed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Yes. The vent simply controls air flow direction. There is a door (valve (exactly like the throttle plate)), operated by the control wheel, behind the vent louver that controls flow.

Yes. there is a hidden mounting bolt behind each vent that needs to be removed in order to remove the dash cover.

No

Yes, 2 or 3 screws in the defroster grill and both B pillar covers need to be removed (they just pull off).
    Thanks for your help Ranger.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by thenaaks View Post
    Mine was doing the same thing. A business card wedged in beside the wheel and trimmed flush did the trick for me. Been 2 years and hasn't closed yet.
    This might be the least invasive way to fix this problem. Thanks for the idea.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.