Power Steering Pump
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Power Steering Pump in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys, I have a problem with my power steering pump now. I had a little 66mi round trip today, ...
    mc_marto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille

Power Steering Pump

Hi guys,

I have a problem with my power steering pump now. I had a little 66mi round trip today, and the last 5 or 10 min. coming into town I felt my steering a little stiffer than normal. Sure enough once I got in town and tried to make a couple of turns at low speeds I knew something was wrong with my power steering. I knew it couldn't have been the belt, because I would have gotten at least a light illuminate on the dash. I pulled in my driveway and when I popped the hood I saw fluid spillage around the battery. I sure know I have a leakage but had to go somewhere, so I just filled up the reservoir, and when I turned the engine on a foam came to the top of the fluid, kind of looking like when you pour your coke a little faster. Anyway, I went where I had to go and I came back home an hour and a half later to see some of the fluid was gone again, and it looked brownish. I was trying to visually see a leakage around the hoses, but couldn't. So, I decided to turn the engine on and turn the steering wheel right to left, like if I'm bleeding the system. I did that quite a few times and then revved up the engine. Sure enough when I walked to the front of my car there was a mist of power steering fluid coming from the belt drive. I started looking around there and a couple of minutes later I saw where it leaks from. It is somewhere behind the power steering pulley, which drips straight down on the pulley, and consequently gets sprayed all around.

My questions are:
    1) has anyone had a similar situation;
    2) do you think it's a seal, or internal pump failure;
    3) should I try to repair it myself;
    4) should I replace the pump, and if so what should I look for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Re: Power Steering Pump

It happens, if you're correct it would seem the shaft seal has failed. Since the system still allows turning when fluid is in it I doubt it's anything beyond that. To replace the pump you'll need the correct type of pulley puller and install tools set. Note how far the pulley is pressed onto the old shaft and duplicate that distance when reinstalling it on to the new pump. The pump is held on the block with one bolt, the block has a machined crevice pad that it locks into. Just get a reman pump from the auto parts and some fluid. Be sure to change the o-ring seal on the end of the hose that screws into the pump with the new one in the pump box. Read a few threads about bleeding the power steering.

Vernon

Quote Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic View Post
    It happens, if you're correct it would seem the shaft seal has failed. Since the system still allows turning when fluid is in it I doubt it's anything beyond that. To replace the pump you'll need the correct type of pulley puller and install tools set. Note how far the pulley is pressed onto the old shaft and duplicate that distance when reinstalling it on to the new pump. The pump is held on the block with one bolt, the block has a machined crevice pad that it locks into. Just get a reman pump from the auto parts and some fluid. Be sure to change the o-ring seal on the end of the hose that screws into the pump with the new one in the pump box. Read a few threads about bleeding the power steering.

Vernon
    How do you unscrew that hose? I was trying to remove the pump earlier today, but could not undo that hose. I believe it's the outlet, correct?

Re: Power Steering Pump

I found some instructions on the forum regarding the removal and installation. The battery has to be removed,then you remove the pulley off the pump first, and after that you can unscrew the metal outlet hose. Just a heads up to someone doing the same in the future: after you remove that metal hose you are going to have to reuse the fitting it uses on the new pump. I had the pump off and was trying to undo the fitting but couldn't, so I installed the pump back on the engine upside down, and was able to unscrew the fitting.

Anyway, thanks for your help Vernon! My pump is on now. I tried to bleed the air out but there is still some in there, so I guess that will be first thing in the morning. So, the correct procedure of bleeding the air out is engine off, wheels jacked up, cap off, and turning left to right?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.