1999 DeVille stalling, have codes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1999 DeVille stalling, have codes in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought this car a few weeks ago, so I don't know much about it. The car is trying ...
    COLOZZUS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DeVille Concours

1999 DeVille stalling, have codes

I just bought this car a few weeks ago, so I don't know much about it. The car is trying to stall out. The rpm's will drop low then jump back up and keep repeating the same pattern. This mostly happens when at a stop light/sign or even parked. I've started to notice that it does it while driving as well. While this takes place, I'll press on the gas and there seems to be a little bit of hesitation between me pressing the gas and the car responding, which usually ends with the car jolting forward. Even while driiving (under 25mph) and pressing the gas pedal the car seems to drop out as if I let off of the gas pedal. It'll only drop out for a split second but it's long enough to notice the drop.

I checked for codes and received,

P1599- Engine Stall or Near Stall Detected
    P1189- Engine Oil Pressure Switch Fault

Just an FYI, I changed the oil and replaced the fuel filter. I do remember the previous owner mentioning replacing the front motor mounts and brakes. I had a few friends make recommendations, like the mass air flow sensor or tune up, etc...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mhswres1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 cadillac deville
    I had the same problem. You need new spark plugs a wires my friend.

Re: 1999 DeVille stalling, have codes

That'd be great if that's the case. Did you get the same codes?

mhswres1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 cadillac deville
    Had p1599

The other seems unrelated. I tryed several other things before plugs and wires to avoid the cost but trust me u need plugs and wires. And you must use ac delco

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    How many miles on the car?

When was the last time the TB was cleaned.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Do your "friends" even know why you would want to replace the MAF ???? The TB cleaning is the first place to start - then make sure the 4 coils are clean and that their base contacts are clean - and that the ICM ground cable terminals are clean and tightly connected.

Fuel filters are almost never a problem.

Spark plug cable connection diagram in my albums. Study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the black bar, then read all the sticky posts just above this one as well as Discussions, Cadillac Tech Tips and the stickys at the top of Engines, Northstar Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    How many miles on the car?

When was the last time the TB was cleaned.
    Car has 145k. I dont know when the tb was cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Do your "friends" even know why you would want to replace the MAF ???? The TB cleaning is the first place to start - then make sure the 4 coils are clean and that their base contacts are clean - and that the ICM ground cable terminals are clean and tightly connected.

Fuel filters are almost never a problem.

Spark plug cable connection diagram in my albums. Study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the black bar, then read all the sticky posts just above this one as well as Discussions, Cadillac Tech Tips and the stickys at the top of Engines, Northstar Performance.
    I appreciate everyone's response. You all recommended some good avenues to go down. I'll try each one and see where it leaves me. I'll post up when (IF) the issue is fixed. Thanks again.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I had a few friends make recommendations, like the mass air flow sensor
    The MAF sensor is a monitored device. If it fails, it will trip the MIL and set a DTC.

Along with the other recommendations above, you might want to check for a vacuum leak.
    COLOZZUS and COLOZZUS like this.

Where would I check for a vacuum leak? Thanks

Can anyone tell me the difference between the ac delco 41-950 and the 41-987? I found the 41-950 on the rockauto website for $4.58 plus (I think) $1.50 mail-in rebate for each plug which brings them to $3.08. I couldn't find the 41-987 plugs on the rockauto site. Also, can someone tell me the difference between the different sets of ac delco spark plug wires? Is there anything else I should pick up from rockauto?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Check all the vacuum lines and connections, manifold mounting, over pressurization relief valve.

Not sure what the exact difference is between the 950 & the 987, but 900 series is double platinum. 41-950 are for the pre-2000 engines and the 41-987's are for the 2000+'s. I suspect maybe a different heat range since the 2000+ had the compression ratio very slightly reduced.

The difference in the plug wires is that the more expensive set (748J) are custom fit for length.
    COLOZZUS and COLOZZUS like this.

Hey fellas, I did the tune up. Unfortunately it's still stalling on me. It actually shut off on me just yesterday. In an effort to troubleshoot, ill be cleaning the throttle body, checking over the vacuum lines and while I'm at it I'm going to replace the water pump belt tensioner and valve cover gasket. I'm going to look through some old post to see if I can find something helpful but if you know of any specific threads that actually cover the work I plan on doing, please post it up. If you can think of anything else I need to do or check while I'm at it, I'd appreciate the heads up.

Have fun changing the cam cover seals. Many hoops to jump through, including PROPERLY removing the water pump drive pulley from the left bank intake cam extension .......... and proper replacement. Do it wrong and you're in the big bucks repair business. How about the spark plug well cam cover seals ???

Use the 41-950 plugs, damn any cost differences. 13 lb/ft of torque, a tad of anti-seize on the 1st 3 plug threads. New AC Delco wires, too. Proper connection diagrams in my albums. (Yes, each coil has a proper connection pattern)(The reason you couldn't find the 41-987 plugs in your car listings is because they aren't recommended for your engine)

Discussions, Item Specific: Cadillac Tech Tips. Engines; Northstar Performance: sticky posts. Top black bar: Cadillac Technical Archive.

It seems to be getting worse. Every time I drive its a gamble on wether ill make it home. It looks like every time it gets to operating temperature the rpm's drop and rise. If I let it go on too long with out pushing on the gas, the car will stall out. While this takes place you can smell gas. I took it to a chevy dealer and they told me it was one of these problems

Fuel Pump Module is week
    Needs intake manifold gasket
    Blow back valve leaking vacuum
    Throttle plate carbonized
    Exhaust leak near rear O2 sensor

A friend told me that the blow back valve is the Pcv. I went to auto zone and was told that the northstar engines come with two pcv's (one in front near engine oil cap and one in the rear). I replaced the one in the rear. No noticeable difference so I then had the dealer replace the intake manifold gasket. Again, no noticeable difference. My most recent and last effort was getting the exhaust leak sealed up. These things might've needed to be replaced but didn't fix the main issue. I don't think that a carbonized throttle plate can cause this issue so I'm assuming its the fuel pump. Any thoughts?

At least two of your info sources are wrong - the "blowback" valve (the intake manifold overpressure valve) is in the passenger end of your year intake manifold. It prevents manifold breakage in the event of a backfire. It could have been cleaned or replaced when the intake was off - by a tech that knew what he/she was doing.

Your car has one PCV valve - the one in the right (rear) cam cover. The other pipe - left (front) cam cover is the fresh air intake from the atmospheric side of the throttle butterfly.

A dirty throttlebody and idle air passage can cause stalling. All posted in these forums a million times.

Most of your posted list of faults is discussed in Discussions - Cadillac Tech Tips.
    COLOZZUS likes this.

jtarantino30 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS
    I have been dealing with a similar issue on my 2001 sts. The other day I used some carb cleaner and started spraying vacum lines with the car running. I was about 2 minutes into it when I sprayed the rubber plenum gasket between the intake and manifold. It turns out this is a well documented problem on the north star engine. I was able to order the part from ohriley auto with the manifold gasket for 30 dollars. Car is getting much better gas mileage and runs perfectly. Please let me know how it goes.
    COLOZZUS likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.