Starter Removal on '92 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Starter Removal on '92 Deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The other day I turned my key and only got courtesy lights and the key in the ignition sound. I ...
    BeezyWeez is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Starter Removal on '92 Deville

The other day I turned my key and only got courtesy lights and the key in the ignition sound. I can hear the relays click but no go for me girl. I took the battery out and had it checkd and it was good so I'm now looking at the starter (don't want to even think about it being a passkey or VATS problem cuase then I'm really screwed) since it is the next obvious part that could have went bad. ( I have checkd the #17 fuse and it is good, the relays appera to be good as I can hear the clicks as they open).

I have read many of the threads on here about removing the starter but I am a bit confused about the flexplate. I got under the car and there is a metal plate running from one side of the fram to the other directly under the starter and air compressor, etc.. On one side it seems welded to the fram and the other has two 13mm bolts. Is this the plate that must be removed?

I cannot see how to remove the starter without this piece being unattached but don't see an easy way to do it. If I am thinking of the wrong object as the "flexplate" please tell me as this has me quite stressed.

--BeezyWeez

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Re: Starter Removal on '92 Deville

they mean "inspection plate" on my 1994 its a peice of plastic held on by 3 10mm bolts that covers the area between the engine and tranny....once off its 2 15mm starter bolts one 5/16 for the signal wire and 9/16 in some cases for the main positive wire....

slightly rotate the starter's solenoid towards the nose and wriggle it out of there ...be careful shes as heavy as rosie o donnel after a night at the ponerosa buffet

edit : be sure to disconect the battery before starting you adventure

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Several things to check first....

Try wiggling the shift lever while holding the key to crank. It may be the neutral safety switch interlock preventing the car from cranking if the PRNDL switch is failing/failed or misadjusted.... Try cranking in all the gear select positions and in neutral to be sure it is not a bad contact in the PRNDL switch.

Turn on the hi beam headlights and try cranking. Watch the head lights for brightness. If the starter is loading the system and not cranking you can see the headlights dim. If the starter is not trying to engage then the light brightness will not change.

Get under the car and put your hand on the starter while a helper turns the key to crank. If you can feel the starter solenoid engage and the starter doesn't turn over then it may indeed be the starter. If the starter solenoid is not engaging it might still be the starter solenoid but I would start checking connections to the solenoid first.

Check the battery cables carefully, especially the ground cable and the ground cables at both ends in particular. Check the cables for internal corrosion by looking at the cable insulation for "puffy" insulation. You can check the negative cable by putting a jumper cable from the negative terminal directly to a ground position on the engine to provide a redundant ground connection. If the starter works with the jumper cable redundant ground in position then definitely look at the battery ground cable and connections.

Will do. Thnaks fellas.. I'll let you know what I find out.

I know its not the PRNDL switch becasue that was one of the first things I tried...

--BeezyWeez

ScottyB is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just a note...
    I think I had the same symtoms as you and I just replaced my starter a couple days ago. (autozone $66 w/ warranty)
    It was actually pretty easy. It only took an hour to get our and 2 to get back in (TIGHT fit). Starts great now.
    If anyone has doubts about tackling this project, get a Chilton manual. Easy as pie.

BTW mine was a 95 Deville 4.9L.

Good luck

ScottyB.

Update:

No voltage at starter solenoid.. Where is the starter enable relay on a 92' deville?

For follow up...

Well I finally got the problem fixed and it turns out it wasn't the Starter or Solenoid. It was the VATS system! My aftermarket alarm's door lock/unlock relay was F$%^# it up. Got it wired up with resistors and now I'm back on the road.

Thanks for all the insight and troubleshooting. My Caddy knowledge would be nothing without you guys. You're the best!

Also, while getting that work done I found out I've got bad motor mounts, so I think things are looking up for the ole Deville. Gonna get those fixed and move on. My list of fixes now currently includes:

New Rear Struts, brake lines, rotors and pads, radiator left-end tank, water pump, radiator petcock, coolant resovoir, oil cooler lines, fuel filter, catylytic convertor, and VATS rewiring.

Soon to be replaced are, distributor, fuel pump (only a matter of time till she goes out), motor mounts, transmission cooler lines, and muffler.

Ain't we got fun. 164K and rolling on...

BeezyWeez

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.