Buzzing at light acceleration from what sounds like rack
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Buzzing at light acceleration from what sounds like rack in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am getting an inconsistent buzzing from what sounds like my steering rack at light acceleration and on some turns. ...
    02baseDeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville

Buzzing at light acceleration from what sounds like rack

I am getting an inconsistent buzzing from what sounds like my steering rack at light acceleration and on some turns. I notice that when I periodically loosen my power steering cap and relieve the pressure the buzzing goes away for a short period of time. Does it sound like too much air in the power steering system? Do not see any leaks. Isn't there supposed to be some type of venting?

Ps. The reservoir was replaced along with the high pressure hose and return hose. The power steering fluid level was a little on the high side for a while (during all the repairs), so I recently removed some fluid until it is now down to the add line.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Buzzing at light acceleration from what sounds like rack

Make up four one-foot squares of heavy cardboard. Stack them in pairs. Check your P/S level again. On a concrete floor or smooth surface, drive the car (front wheels) onto the stacked squares - they make it EASY for the front steering to operate. With the engine idling, turn the steering wheel to right lock, holding it gently against lock, with hissing, for a few seconds. Now do the same for left lock. After two or three times of this procedure any air trapped in the ends of the steering rack ram should bleed back to the P/S reservoir............ IF the problem is trapped air.

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

There is a TSB about this condition being caused by pressure pulsations in the high-pressure hose causing it to vibrate against the engine and or chassis. There is a new hose design with revised routing and mounting points to correct the concern. If you replace the hose or have a shop do just make sure you get the "2nd design", "updated" or similar wording if both choices are available from the hose supplier. GM only sells the revised hose. I've done several of these for this very problem. It always does it at slow speeds with a lot of turning, like when pulling into a parking spot. I recommend flushing the fluid at the same time. A high quality fluid like Valvoline Max-Life or ATP Synthetic is what I use on my own cars.

P.S. I just read your P.S., I don't know if I overlooked it or you just added it. In that case the installer may not have routed the line properly or re-installed the clamps(s) at the rear head and the rack to secure it properly. If it is left loose or routed to close to another component these vibrations will occur and or hit something causing the sounds.

Vernon

Thanks Guys! Sub I tried the lock to lock with cardboard underneath a while back but the issue still comes back. I think Vernon is right on to something since I had my local Cadillac dealer install the redesigned high pressure hose about 10 months back is when I start noticing the buzzing/vibration (I thought it was the trans or something Ok so I need to go back to them and make sure they secured the hose properly. Thanks again, I will let you know how it turns out!

Update: I took it to the Caddy dealer and they did their flush and synthetic additive maintenance which helped some. However I did notice the vibration when I start from a dead stop and the transmission is shifting from what seems to be 2-3 gear, so it may be a mount bracket somewhere near the transmission. Needless to say I took it back to them after my test drive and relayed that information, which hopefully helps them narrow it down.

I picked up the Deville today after being told by the Caddy dealership Service Assistant that he was told by the tech that the vibration was minute and the redesigned hi pres hose was installed correctly. Also that it would take further investigation to find exactly what it was, which if found to be something else could possibly come out of my pocket (WE ALL KNEW THEY WOULD GET THERE EVENTUALLY). I guess the miracle power steering fluid transfer + synthetic additive didn't do the trick as it was originally touted (as more times than not being able to address these types of power steering noise issues). Time will tell on this.

I must say that the breadth of knowledge on this forum is UNSURPASSED (even by Caddy techs who are supposed to be the experts) but of course their objectives are different than pure customer service and fixing problems more like minimizing how much time is spent on each car etc.

Cadillac Forums Thanks for all your help and you are the BEST!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.