2001 DTS electrical problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2001 DTS electrical problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, I just recently started having issues with my 2001 DTS 104,000 miles, My guages are jumping and reading incorrectley, ...
    phoenixbat1979 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Deville DTS

Exclamation 2001 DTS electrical problems

Hello,

I just recently started having issues with my 2001 DTS 104,000 miles, My guages are jumping and reading incorrectley, The service engine light has come on, and my display is reading service electrical sysytem - service theft sysytem and yellow theft light come on and off constantly - traction control diabled and it continues to do this constantly while im driving and as its chiming at me. My speed guage both digital and analog are jumpy (even while parked). fuel guage jumpy and the transmission is now gone into a default high pressure mode causing hard shifts because of the faulty speed readings, and cruise control is also not working now.

I brought it to a tranny shop and when they scanned it they said that the computer had an error code that had something to do woth losing memory, they also said my VSS sensor gave a code but was probably not the issue given that in getting fauly readings on other electrical issues. I have notice that the memory for things live fuel used is constantly reseting to 0.00

I called the dealer and the service manager told me that the labor rate is $165 and hour and that electrical issues tend to take hours just to diagnose.

I ddi check the connections at the battery that was just replaced and everything is clean and tight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: 2001 DEVILLE DTS ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS :( Im ready to give up on Cadillac ;

your car has a built in code reader in the dash

there are instructions on this forum in a sticky post that detail how to pull the codes and how to find their definitions

post the codes (and if they are history or current) along with their definitions and we can start helping you from there
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Ok i checked the codes and all the the same codes came up for a number of different things.

here is what I got..

ABS
    AMP
    DDM
    DDS
    DIM
    IPC
    IPM
    IRC
    MSM
    PDM
    RFA
    RIM
    RSS
    SDM
    TTM

all of these had the same codes of: U1000, U1016, 1064, U1065, U1129, U1164, U1192, U1301

I rest and cleared all codes and took the care for a drive 15 minute hiway speeds, afterwards I started to get the error messages again for stability, theft, traction control, and service electrical system and service engine soon light. I rechecked the codes and the U1016 was back and present for all the different IPC, DDS, IPM and ect....

----------

ok i checked the codes and this is what is present....

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You need to list the code definitions.

U1000 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction, U1016 - Loss of Communications with PCM, U1064 - Loss of Communications with DIM, U1065 - Loss of Communications with IPM, U1129 - Loss of Communications with AMP, U1164 - Loss Of DIM Serial Data Communication, U1192 - Loss of VTD Class 2 Serial Data Com, U1301 - Class 2 Short to Battery

----------

again... all connections at the battery are clean, look like new and are tight

What's your voltage with the engine OFF? Preferably after being off for at least 30 minutes. What's your voltage with the engine running?

If it's not a voltage problem, it's probably a bad ground.

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Since it's simple and only takes a minute open the hood and find the large ground cable that connects to the alternator housing and the RH front fender frame. Grab ahold of it and tug hard in each direction. If it breaks or stretches you found your problem.

Vernon

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'm on the ground wagon as well. If not the engine or alternator ground, I'd locate the IP ground and check that.

My daughter just picked up a low mile '99 Grand Am (her '04 was totaled). The IP lights and icons started lighting up like a Christmas tree and going nuts. I located the IP grounds, gave them a good twist or two with a wrench and it has been behaving since (hope I didn't just jinx myself ).

the voltage while running is 14.5, how do I see what the voltage is when its off? Also Im not familuare with the term IP ground.

I appreciate all of the help and responses....

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Check grounds at transmission. Check grounds at right side frame rail. Check grounds near alternator. Check grounds underneath rear seat. Check grounds at front door pillars near dash, behind carpet retainers.

Turn the key to on, engine off, scroll to the voltage display.

IP - Instrument Panel.

I just checked the voltage with the car of, and it reads 12.4 once I start and the car is running it reads 14.5 volts

last summer in the hot hot weather 95 degree or hotter (I live in Minnesota) that my guages would give sporadic readings with fuel and volts and engine temp... kind of wondering if this was the beginning of my bad ground problem if this is whats currently wrong.

any thoughts on it being the cluster itself?

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Any aftermarket components such as radio, immobilizer, or alarm?

nothing after market.... the only thing extra is a python autostart that was installed prior to me owning the car. Ive own the car for 3 years now.

----------

if there was a way for me to post a video i scould show yous how messed up this thing is..... I hate that my tranny has gone into high pressure mode and shifts hard because of the in accurate readings.

I can have the car in park and rev the motor and the speedo will jump up to 50 - 70 mph while my fuel gauge jumps to empty and back. and the constatnt chiming of service this and service that.... I ready to shoot my car!

Smile Re: 2001 DTS electrical problems

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help and advice and for being patient with my lack of knowledge when it comes to being able to troubleshoot the issues with my car. I learned allot about my vehicle and I am happy to say that it is now fixed and only cost me $6.50 for a 4 guage ground cable to replace the one that was broke. A simple ground from the fram to the motor made all the difference in the world.

Thank you everyone

Chris

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.