Just bought myself a headache
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Just bought myself a headache in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello CF, Today I bought a 1999 Deville. The battery was dead and it had 165,000 miles on it, but ...
    motiv8d365 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville

Unhappy Just bought myself a headache

Hello CF,
    Today I bought a 1999 Deville. The battery was dead and it had 165,000 miles on it, but I figured a GM product is good for another few miles and i needed a car.
    Now, it hadn't been TOUCHED for 4 months, so I bought a battery hooked it up, started and took it to my house. The radio harness has been cut and there were wires taped up I took the tape off thinking I could wire the factory stereo back in. I looked up how to pull the codes on this model, i had an 89 el dorado before so I was familiar with error codes. My first codes were as follows
    IPC B1552
    acm b1348
    pzm b1552
    pam b1558
    pzm b1983 <- All HISTORY
    rfa u11305
    msm b0856
    msm b1983
    mmm b1983

Most of these are from the battery being disconnected, so I was not really getting anything out of these, however I decided to start up the car and it started sputtering and not turning over, I ran the obd again and I pulled a CURRENT po300 and a pcm p1599 HISTORY. I have been trying to figure out if the exposed radio wires has anything to do with the startup problems, I desperately need this car to run a while. I just went outside and took the battery off for about half an hour, the I reconnected it and ran the diagnostic again. These are the codes I got,
    pcm p0603
    ipc b1552
    pzm b1552
    pzm1557
    pam b1983 <- HISTORY
    rfa u1000
    rfa u1395
    msm bo856
    msm b1983

I think I got had fellows, the coolant is low, the oil looks terrible and if I fail to figure out this misfire problem none of that will even matter. I think I have givin most of the details, this is already one of the longest opening posts ive seen, but going to a shop is not something I can afford, so any help or feedback I could get would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: Just bought myself a headache

post the code definitions, there is a sticky ^^^^ with link to them.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Use this - and the B, C, U links in the second paragraph - to get to code definitions for your OBD-II system. (The Haukap site is dead)

EDIT: I see that the original Haukap sites ^^^ have been changed to the current diagnostic link.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

amunderdog is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm
    So you drove it how many miles? How was the trip?
    Can you post a picture of the engine?
    Did you pull the air filter to see whats living in there?

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    4months? Did fresh gas help? I suppose tank was empty to start with? Change oil, maybe flush radiator if you feel lucky. Change fuel filter.

Hi guys,
    sorry I didn't post the definitions. I familiarized myself with the ODB codes somewhat, although I really don't think I appreciate what I've got myself into. I don't know why it went so wrong so fast, and I haven't gotten into the air filter yet. On my old El Dorado the BCM was in the center console below the radio and the display on the radio is what you viewed the codes on, I guess what I am asking does anyone know if there are systems other than the radio in that bundle of wires and could that be what is making it misfire? I don't think so myself but if it isnt that I am going to have a heck of a time. I'll upload some pictures in a few minutes, I really need to talk to someone who knows about cars, I'm a computer guy.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Your car displays the DTC codes and their suffixes on the DIC message board. (Instrument panel green message strip). The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is in the intake air filter box: It receives signals from/to a half dozen or so engine sensors and controls the engine (all aspects) as well as the transmission and some braking input.

Your engine uses 4 coils, 8 wires in a 'waste spark' configuration (Google it). The coils sit on the ICM (Ignition Control Module) which receives signals from two CranKshaft Position sensors and a CaMshaft Position sensor for ignition and injector operation. (Read the "Acronyms" sticky ^^^.)

You NEED a real GM Helm service manual from either ebay or www.helminc.com or, for instant gratification, subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com (the service manual plus so much more that you need to do a LOT of homework just to work around the site). Study the entire cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar. Read all the sticky posts at the top of this threads page as well as at the top of the threads page in Engines; Northstar Performance.

You are now on a steep learning curve. VERY different car - all of it.
    motiv8d365 and motiv8d365 like this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Start with the basics. Do you have fuel pressure? if so, what is it? Do you have spark (might need plugs & wires)? Is the TB clean?

Wow I feel like I just got an encyclopedia chucked at my head, I looked around here a good chunk of the night and all I could find was the diagnostic codes, you know what your talking about. The person I bought it from seriously misrepresented what quality of car I was buying so I'm sort of mad. That being said, I'm going to have to step my game up, learning is never a bad thing.

----------

Hello,
    Well like I said the person told me she hadn't been driving it, and I put 3 gallons of gas in it to get it over here, which was maybe a mile or so. She told me it had gotten work done to it but obviously not. As far as the fuel pressure goes I'm not sure how to tell, I don't have any diagnostic equipment. Same with the spark, in my old car you could monitor and even adjust the spark plug voltage, but the capability seems limited in this vehicle for some reason. I feel like a dope because it's so obvious I have no knowledge, the throttle body is the cable like assembly on the driver side that opens to release fuel in to the engine?

Borrow a fuel pressure gauge form AutoZone and test your fuel pressure.

As for spark, just pull a plug wire and plug an old (working) spark plug into it. Ground the electrode to a good under hood ground and start (or crank) the engine. You should see a spark jump the gap.

Yes, the throttle cable is connected to the TB or what used to be the carburetor. It actually controls air flow into the engine, not fuel.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I watched the tutorial on cleaning the throttle body shortly after your post, and since I finally know where the pcm is I watched how to change the air filter just so I could see it for a split second. I plan an getting some stuff done tomorrow since you dudes have given me some direction. I do have one question and I know you guys won't sugar coat it...how bad can oil possibly look if it was drove hard and then left to sit for a supposed six months. Ill upload a picture tomorrow but I don't think I have ever seen such oil and if you do the math...low-coolant light+crappy looking oil=a big pile of that stuff for me. I'm going to pray about this tonight.

blalockchiro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville, 89 Camaro, 07 Silverado
    dang.....

yeah...should have had a v8

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary
    Describe your "bad" oil? Milkshake? Thick goo inside? Particles in it?

Note that a Northstar will usually not mix oil with coolant if HG fails. Such mix on a Northstar (not common issue) is almost always caused by failed engine oil/trans fluid cooler.

Oil left in crankcase during storing for approx. 6 months should not turn bad, unless it was way overdue before the storing happened.

You can't tell how "bad" or "good" oil is by looking at it.

Not sure I am understanding your last statement "I don't think I have ever seen such oil and if you do the math...low-coolant light+crappy looking oil=a big pile of that stuff for me". Are you saying that your oil has coolant in it? If so, disregard my first statement.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.