Just bought myself a headache - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Just bought myself a headache in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I guess my big question is should I scrap it or try to fix it...if it is the head ...
    motiv8d365 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville

Re: Just bought myself a headache

So I guess my big question is should I scrap it or try to fix it...if it is the head gasket or worse there is no way I can afford to fix it...I could try a gasket sealer but that's just a band aid. I love cadillacs I want this to work out.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Northstar HG's rarely (if ever) put coolant in the oil. I'd diagnose it before scrapping it. Another possibility (not common) is a cracked block.

Oil cooler lines. Viewed from the front of the car.
    http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...X=2&SortKey=49

#16 is the trans cooler and #5 is the oil cooler (if so equipped). Viewed from inside the cabin.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    You buy car and somehow do not notice major issues like coolant in oil and now overheating? Or did you get it for 300 and figured, what the heck. No big deal.
    amunderdog and amunderdog like this.

Hey stoveguy kind of calling the kettle black man. I know that I made a bad decision there has been 30 posts in this thread and any number of people could have pointed out that I was an idiot but they didn't, they have been trying to help me and I think thats cool so to sum it up yeah I knew the car had some problems, yeah I DID buy a car without checking the oil, yeah I realize that that is so stupid. I've bought 8-9 cars in my life so far and never before have I went in to a deal without using my brain, I just haven't had a car for 2 years and I finally got some money so it is what it is.

----------

I finally removed the top of the housing for the air filter and saw the transaxel dipstip, I opened it and it seems pretty dry in there as well, I realize from what I've read that not only does the deville have to be running to get an accurate reading but your supposed to cycle through the gears stopping at three second intervals for each gear. Needless to say the car doesnt like to stay running that long so I am going to drain the oil tomorrow the best I can and see if I can't get it running long enough to see where the fluid is leaking out, and maybe even get a reading on the tranny fluid. I'm also going to get a fuel pressure gauge and get a reading as recommended and I intend to test the spark in the ignition sequence. I can probably check these off quickly so if there are any other things that I could get started on I would love the feedback. Thank's to everybody at CF for their advice and for not pointing out my f-ups.
    bwv565 and bwv565 like this.

Hello CF,
    I changed the oil out today and drained the radiator. I read online you are supposed to disconnect the battery when working on most of the systems, so instead of just disconnecting the negative cable I disconnected both, which I believe has triggered the anti-theft system because when I try to reconnect the negative side the horn wont stop honking. I don' know what to do. I only have the number 2 wireless remote that came with the car, and there isnt an alarm button on this remote. AI would really appreciate the help.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Press unlock on the remote.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

And if that doesn't work, turn the ignition to ON and then hook up the batt. Works with aftermarket alarms, not sure here. Unlocking the door with the key should also work as the remote does.
    Do not disconnect batt for fluid changes.

----------

How are the tires?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.